GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Faulty Back To The Future DVDs."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 15/05/03 at 20:45
Regular
Sorry if you all know about this, but I just found out.

Taken from somewhere.

December 19, 2002 - One of the biggest DVD releases of the year hit stores on Tuesday, but the three-disc set of the Back to the Future movies has a little problem that Universal doesn't want you to know about (until February 2003, at least). The anamorphic widescreen transfers on Back to the Future II and Back to the Future III were framed improperly, which means that elements in the picture that should be visible are cropped out.

Now, the studio is aware of this problem, and there will be a replacement program in effect starting in February, but that information isn't being made readily available for the people headed down to the store to fork out $40-$50 for the three-disc set. Thankfully, some store employees have smartened up and are telling customers about the problem, but Universal still has a multi-million dollar advertising campaign in effect for the release. They want as many copies to be sold through Christmas as possible, and then in February those people who bought the messed up DVDs will be able to send the discs to the studio for replacement copies.

This isn't an isolated problem with just a small amount of the shipment affected. Every copy of BTTF 2 and BTTF 3 on store shelves is affected by the bad framing. Everyone who buys the set will have the "defective" DVDs.

Our pal Bill over at The Digital Bits got his hands on the email that Universal is sending to people who ask them about the problems:

"Thank you for your email. Universal Studios

will exchange Back to the Future parts 2 and 3 for copies with the updated framing in late February 2003. You may send the DVDs back now or wait until February. Please send Back to the Future disks 2 and 3, without the case, and a letter with the following information: Name, Full Mailing Address, Daytime Phone Number, Reason for Return and Return Address. Send to:

Back to the Future DVD Returns
PO Box 224468
Dallas, Texas 75260

Thank you,
Universal Studios Customer Service"

Obviously that's just for America, I doubt you could send your R2/R4 discs there. Anyway, I bought mine back in Decemeber, and I just checked BTTF 3 against this picture using my DVD drive -

http://mywebpage.netscape.com (space) /potitochip/drive+in+compair.jpg

Here's another one.

http://mywebpage.netscape.com/potitochip (space) /flying+comp.jpg

The error is on my discs, and I know the Aussie ones are the same, so Mystique, yours should be cut off too. I emailed Universal, but I doubt if I'll even get a response. Anyone know the address for the UK to send the faulty discs? OK, so it's not that big a deal that they're not in proper widescreen, but I hate to think I'm missing petty little things around the edges.

So did everyone know about this? Did it just pass right by me? Everyone who bought it before Feb will have the error, but if you're unsure either check it, or look on the DVD box. If it has V2 (version 2) on it, then you're OK.
Fri 16/05/03 at 11:23
Regular
"That's right!"
Mystique wrote:
> Only the region 1 versions were effected.

------

*slap*

Yes, you would do well to read my posts next time, Mystique ;)

I just compared that scene in BTTF 3 to that photo of Marty in camp cowboy get up and it's pretty noticable.
Fri 16/05/03 at 09:51
Regular
"The flux capacitor!"
None of my discs load the menus on my PC DVD player
Fri 16/05/03 at 09:51
Regular
"The flux capacitor!"
I can hardly notice the problem...
Thu 15/05/03 at 23:07
Regular
MoJoJoJo wrote:
>> The error is on my discs, and I know the Aussie ones are the same, so
> Mystique, yours should be cut off too.

Ok, next time before posting I'll read the whole thing first.
:)
Hmmm, looks like I'll have to have a gander..
Thu 15/05/03 at 23:06
Regular
Only the region 1 versions were effected.
Thu 15/05/03 at 22:26
Regular
Didn't notice it myself.
Thu 15/05/03 at 20:57
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
I bought the trilogy just after christmas and I had to take it back, disc 3 wasn't working. I just got the whole box set replaced and it seems to be working fine now. I will double check them though now this has come to light because I can't remember if I've watched all the discs yet. :(
Thu 15/05/03 at 20:45
Regular
"That's right!"
Sorry if you all know about this, but I just found out.

Taken from somewhere.

December 19, 2002 - One of the biggest DVD releases of the year hit stores on Tuesday, but the three-disc set of the Back to the Future movies has a little problem that Universal doesn't want you to know about (until February 2003, at least). The anamorphic widescreen transfers on Back to the Future II and Back to the Future III were framed improperly, which means that elements in the picture that should be visible are cropped out.

Now, the studio is aware of this problem, and there will be a replacement program in effect starting in February, but that information isn't being made readily available for the people headed down to the store to fork out $40-$50 for the three-disc set. Thankfully, some store employees have smartened up and are telling customers about the problem, but Universal still has a multi-million dollar advertising campaign in effect for the release. They want as many copies to be sold through Christmas as possible, and then in February those people who bought the messed up DVDs will be able to send the discs to the studio for replacement copies.

This isn't an isolated problem with just a small amount of the shipment affected. Every copy of BTTF 2 and BTTF 3 on store shelves is affected by the bad framing. Everyone who buys the set will have the "defective" DVDs.

Our pal Bill over at The Digital Bits got his hands on the email that Universal is sending to people who ask them about the problems:

"Thank you for your email. Universal Studios

will exchange Back to the Future parts 2 and 3 for copies with the updated framing in late February 2003. You may send the DVDs back now or wait until February. Please send Back to the Future disks 2 and 3, without the case, and a letter with the following information: Name, Full Mailing Address, Daytime Phone Number, Reason for Return and Return Address. Send to:

Back to the Future DVD Returns
PO Box 224468
Dallas, Texas 75260

Thank you,
Universal Studios Customer Service"

Obviously that's just for America, I doubt you could send your R2/R4 discs there. Anyway, I bought mine back in Decemeber, and I just checked BTTF 3 against this picture using my DVD drive -

http://mywebpage.netscape.com (space) /potitochip/drive+in+compair.jpg

Here's another one.

http://mywebpage.netscape.com/potitochip (space) /flying+comp.jpg

The error is on my discs, and I know the Aussie ones are the same, so Mystique, yours should be cut off too. I emailed Universal, but I doubt if I'll even get a response. Anyone know the address for the UK to send the faulty discs? OK, so it's not that big a deal that they're not in proper widescreen, but I hate to think I'm missing petty little things around the edges.

So did everyone know about this? Did it just pass right by me? Everyone who bought it before Feb will have the error, but if you're unsure either check it, or look on the DVD box. If it has V2 (version 2) on it, then you're OK.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.