GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Graham Taylor resigns from Aston Villa"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 14/05/03 at 15:39
Regular
Graham Taylor has resigned as manager of Aston Villa after the team finished a lowly 16th in the Premiership, behind bitter rivals Birmingham City in the top flight for the first time in three decades.

The Villa board has accepted the 58-year-old former England boss' resignation, which takes immediate effect.

Taylor said: "Contrary to what may be perceived, playing results are not the reason for my resignation and I had always believed that last season was going to be one of transition, particularly in respect of emerging young players.

"I would however point out that modern football, with its well publicised financial pressures, involves much wider issues than mere playing matters and those are a major factor in my decision."

Villa chairman Doug Ellis expressed his sadness at Taylor's departure but said that the club hoped to have a replacement "in place prior to the return of the players for pre-season training."

Taylor took over at Villa Park for a second time in February last year following John Gregory's departure.

But the Midlands club struggled in the Premiership and only narrowly avoided relegation in contrast to his first spell in charge of the club between 1987 and 1990.

Personally I don't think he should of gone back to Aston Villa, as I don't agree with managers going back to previous clubs, it somehow doesn't work, what does everyone else think?
Sun 18/05/03 at 11:13
Regular
"Baros!!!"
We are going after Martin O'Neil, who would be a very great capture if we get him as our new manager.

Also:

BOWYER FOR VILLA?
Lee Bowyer could turn up at Aston Villa this summer if David O’Leary becomes manager at Villa Park, says the Daily Mirror. Bowyer was released by West Ham this week and his old mate David could be his saviour. He is currently one of the favourites to take over from Graham Taylor in the Midlands.

YEY!!!
Sat 17/05/03 at 10:57
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
Foreman wrote:
> I think Ellis is actually doing a great job at Villa, enen though he
> won't let us spend. He has kept us out of debt, and that is a relief,
> as we don't want to end up like Leeds FC.

Who went bankrupt in 1912, reforming as Leeds United, who could well follow that path. ;-D
Fri 16/05/03 at 19:18
Regular
"Baros!!!"
I think Ellis is actually doing a great job at Villa, enen though he won't let us spend. He has kept us out of debt, and that is a relief, as we don't want to end up like Leeds FC.
Fri 16/05/03 at 16:19
Regular
"An Evil Resident"
The thing about Doug Ellis is that he is the main share holder still and despite suffering from prostrate cancer he has made numerous appearances lately on local news stating his intentions to stick around a good while yet.

Alot of my freinds are Villa fans and for years now they have been saying that nothing will change till Ellis leaves the club.

On the subject of Curbishly, i was reading teletext and Charltons board were saying that no enquiries for stealing their manager would be welcomed (understanably) but i found most damning was this quote...

'Why would Alan (Curbishly) choose to leave the Valley to join another Aston Villa... its not like they are that big a club and challenging for honours'

If i remember correctly Villa tried to get George Graham some years ago, they certainly need a proven manager there to turn it around for them, and not another Josef Venglos.
Fri 16/05/03 at 11:58
Regular
"Long time no see!"
I'm glad to see Graham Taylor go - for 'Villa's sake!

I may be a Man United fan, but they've got some talented players within their squad - like West Ham, and don't deserve to have suffered to torcher of Graham Taylor, like they have -- also like West Ham, with Roeder.

I'm surprised to see David O'Leary's name come up as a possible candidate for the new-manager job. I would've expected to have seen some of the more famillier names - like George Graham. I never would've though this would be quite the right job for a man like O'Leary...
'Villa need someone who can dig them out of this hole....

Alan Curbishley has also been mentioned.
But I can't see him leaving Charlton unless he was forced-out.

I think Taylor said that "changes also need to be made 'upstairs' " - which could see Doug Ellis also on his way out of Villa Park...!
Thu 15/05/03 at 20:27
Regular
"An Evil Resident"
Foreman wrote:

> I'll be looking forward to playing you next season, to hopefully do
> the double over you.

Villa will not do the double over us next season, i personally dont see Villa winning at home against us least of all away at St Andrews... im also looking forward to playing you next season (complete with Encklemans convincing impression of coco the clown) :D
Thu 15/05/03 at 18:48
Regular
"Baros!!!"
Those 60 minutes on the pitch for Villa could of easily helped our Away form.

I'll be looking forward to playing you next season, to hopefully do the double over you.

I want Micky Adams to be our new manager, and I hope Vassell sorts his contract out.
Thu 15/05/03 at 17:25
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
Great to have seen Taylor quit. He's a moron, and he couldn't manage a packet of crisps. I say bring in someone who can turn a club from bad to great- such as O'Leary. I suppose I have a sort of hate of Graham 'Turnip' Taylor because he made the national team an embarassment. At least Venables restored some pride, only losing one of his first 14.
Thu 15/05/03 at 01:49
Regular
Hm he might of left because of low funds.
Thu 15/05/03 at 01:45
Regular
"An Evil Resident"
Foreman i really doubt that having Merson would have made you finish above us this season... i heard from a few Pompey fans that Merson was tiring after 60 mins in most 1st division games last season... i dont think he could last an hour of the Premiership and be 'useful' his days are gone now.

Just like Ince has announced he is quitting after Wolves play-offs are finished (irrespective to the outcome apparently) i think Merson should do the same... he would only embaress himself in the Premiership next season, its a world apart from the 1st divison as Pompey will find out in 3 months time.

Back to the subject... Graham Taylor is nothing more than a joke, people say what a great club manager he is (but a very poor international manager) but i just never saw it despite his Watford heroics

Just look what Joe Kinnear did with Wimbledon on a total shoestring with 4000 fans coming thru the gates each week... people dont sing his praises all day long and his record far outways anything that old turnip head could ever have wished to achieve.

Graham Taylor... 'footbal has changed alot in the last 10 years, i dont think im cut out to manage a football team that isnt ruled by football anymore, its all about finances these days' well whilst that may be true to a degree wake up Graham, its the same for 88 out of 92 other managers and theyre not whinging, take a look in the mirror at those teeth of yours... theres something to whine about.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.