GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Favourite Videogame Memories"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 09/02/09 at 15:01
"possibly impossible"
There was a time, back in the day, when I remember opening my brand new Atari ST and playing Gauntlet II. It seemed so near to the arcade version that it almost seemed like this games machine could do anything.

Of course, I’d yet to see the Amiga in action and I hadn’t a clue at the amazing things coming to the future of gaming…

Another gaming memory was when a mate brought Street Fighter II and WWF Superstars around on his newly acquired SNES console. Those shiny smarties-like buttons and those 2 games were all I needed to convince me to save some money up and get one. SFII was probably one of my most played games of all time, I still love a go (and hope that Sony Europe get their act together in getting Capcom’s HD remake up on the store).

I’ve had many memories since then; first seeing Goldeneye on the N64, 4 player Bomberman on the SNES with the multitap and finishing Max Payne to name a few. But the first memories of gaming on my Spectrum and the whole Street Fighter II thing will stay with me forever.

So, spill the beans, what are your favourite gaming memories?
Wed 18/02/09 at 23:57
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Emmie87 wrote:
> Well it has been mentioned, but Final Fantasy VII was amazing, i
> could not stop playing, i hit a part where i should have been in
> bed as i had school the next day - but i kept going up one level
> and getting stronger. I remember it was the first real RPG i
> played ad i have been hooked ever since! I did however lose my
> save data 9 hours through so had to start again but i was not put
> off and completed it!

Strange you mention that, i have a near identical story. I completed FF VII the night (or morning) of my GCSE Geography exam. I think i started around 11pm, got well into the crater by 6am, then got killed and had to start the whole thing again as there were no save points in the crater. I finally completed it around 9am and then had to run out of the house as my exam was at 11am. Thats probably my favourite gaming memory.
Wed 18/02/09 at 23:50
Regular
That's debateable :P

Though the re-release of Banjo on XBLA is brilliant :)
Wed 18/02/09 at 20:41
"possibly impossible"
Worked for Banjo...
Wed 18/02/09 at 18:38
Regular
Who's to say Rare wont make a sequel?
Wed 18/02/09 at 13:56
Regular
"THE WORLD IS MINE"
I think jet force gemini for the 64 was the best back then
to bad there nto going to make any sequals because it is owned by rare!!
Mon 09/02/09 at 21:22
Regular
"THFC"
Well it has been mentioned, but Final Fantasy VII was amazing, i could not stop playing, i hit a part where i should have been in bed as i had school the next day - but i kept going up one level and getting stronger. I remember it was the first real RPG i played ad i have been hooked ever since! I did however lose my save data 9 hours through so had to start again but i was not put off and completed it!

On a multiplayer basis, it would be goldeneye - playing with 3 other mates, we would spend hours around someone's house, just playing it, i loved the Stack level and it was always so much fun. The one player was a great game aswell.

Those are all older memories, some of my best ones have come more recently due to Online Gaming.

Battlefield 2 on the PC had me hooked, it was my first ever Online game and i got pretty good, both being a sniper or as a support class. I played with some of my friends and loved every second Online, i was on it all the time, until i got COD4 on my Ps3 - My gf got it for me as it came out on my birthday - i had the day off work and online was brilliant. The graphics were so realistic and smooth that it was possibly the best thing i had seen Online.

Those are just a few of the things that come to mind and without boring people that is a quick run through. It is nice to think back about the memories that made us all love games so much!
Mon 09/02/09 at 20:09
"possibly impossible"
I remember the day I bought my Gamecube, took the day off work and waited in the game shop for it to arrive (being friends with the owner I got to help unpack!). Even better, I had a GAD win of Rogue Squadron turn up just on the right day to add to my launch collection (Luigis Mansion and Super Monkey Ball). Bliss.

...actually, thinking back, a lot of my best gaming memories are Nintendo related...
Mon 09/02/09 at 19:39
Regular
I've got many gaming memories that make me feel warm and soft inside (no jokes now! ^_^), but the ones that spring to mind right now...

My brother and I both had Nintendo watches at Christmas one year. I had the Super Mario Bros 3 watch and my brother had Tetris. I half-intently set the alarm to go off during class in primary school, which to everyone's amusement, wasn't just a repeated bleep....And linked to the same memory, the strap on my brother's watch broke due to over-playing of the tiny Tetris game screen by both my parents trying to achieve a high score. The watch is still playable, but needs a new strap. Since those many years have passed, I've had Tetris DX, Tetris DS and Tetris Party and my parents haven't played any of them.

On the theme of gaming parents: My brother had Nintendo consoles before me, which worked to my advantage as I was still able to play them... My dad wouldn't really join in our Goldeneye sessions but did join in for the odd round of Mario Kart 64 (& even Super Mario Kart), Excite Bike 64 or 1080 Snowboarding...the latter because 'its realistic*'. With the Mario Kart games, it was my brother and I often letting my dad get the lead in the final lap, arm ourselves with red shells, and unleash a volley on him just before the line. We often got the timing right so that he'd think he'd won, but we'd overtake him on the line!

With 1080, my dad was an addict at getting his timetrial times down a fraction of a second, and although never verified (as he probably couldn't do it to the same level now) has probably achieved the fastest time in the world on the final course. In his rush to get to the N64 to play with my brother, he launched himself into a sitting position too quickly and soon got rear-ended by a bedpost.

When I was around the same age as I was when I got my Mario watch, I remember playing Super Mario Bros on the NES at my mate’s house. He was lucky enough to have a nice collection of games which helped become the Ninty-fan I am today. As all I had at the time was the highly enjoyable Spectrum +2, I was amazed by Super Mario Bros, and when he wanted to play outside, I told his mother on him for not letting me play on his NES. He often reminded me of that as we got older.

During the N64 vs Playstation ‘console war’, I was very anti-Sony. So much so that I missed out on Final Fantasy VII at the time (a game I own now). I remember everyone being hooked on that game as if it was the best thing ever, and often naming themselves after various FF characters on forums. I often enjoyed the console war threads on various forums I used to visit, however am glad I have learned to see things from both sides of the coin now.

On Midtown Madness 3 Xbox Live multiplayer mode, there was a great game of tag where if you took too much damage or were tagged too long, the tag would be passed to the nearest player. To be fair, this was one of the best online games on the Xbox despite the single-player being so poor! One of my tactics was that if I knew I was going to lose to damage due to my ‘I’m just having fun’ gaming, I would sit my car in a really easy spot to get tagged. As the unsuspecting tagged player rams my car at full speed, intent on quickly passing the tag onto me, he caused my damage meter to fill meaning I was damaged out, meaning he retained the tag. This actually led to one gamer sounding like he was genuinely crying as he shouted something down the microphone then quit the game. Oh the mirth and hilarity!
There are lots of smaller things that spring to mind as great memories too:

• First time completing Super Mario Land on GameBoy – and the amount of time it took to become good enough.
• Completing A Link To the Past on the SNES.
• Playing various games on the SNES and N64 with my brother, notably: Super Probotector, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Super Mario Kart & 64, Mario Tennis, as well as helping each other on games like the Zelda games, Super Mario 64, Turok, etc.
• The other times gaming with my dad.
• ‘Win-lose-or draw’ gaming edition in high school – how one of my best mates drew Metal Gear Solid.
• My first experience of Pokémon Red on the Super Game Boy...which led to my first experience of Pokémon Blue and Pokémon Yellow.
• Buying my GameCube.
• My first Gameaday win.
• My ‘Game Boy Advance Trust Fund’ made up charity which surprisingly had no donations :D Suffice to say, I still bought a Game Boy Advance.
• Buying my DS via Nintendo’s VIP offer.
• Pressing Space-Bar for the first time when standing in front of a dancer in Duke Nukem 3D
• Completing Star Trek: A Final Unity on PC...using an online guide.
• Playing Worms United and Worms 2 on PC!
• The shenanigans involved in playing Rainbow Six 3 on Xbox Live. “How do you like them apples!”
• Building the Steel Battalion controller.
• Grand Theft Auto 3 ‘Wanted’ survival!

I’m sure there are many more – if I come to think of them I’ll post them here as and when I can :)

*Which, to its credit, it is
Mon 09/02/09 at 15:01
"possibly impossible"
There was a time, back in the day, when I remember opening my brand new Atari ST and playing Gauntlet II. It seemed so near to the arcade version that it almost seemed like this games machine could do anything.

Of course, I’d yet to see the Amiga in action and I hadn’t a clue at the amazing things coming to the future of gaming…

Another gaming memory was when a mate brought Street Fighter II and WWF Superstars around on his newly acquired SNES console. Those shiny smarties-like buttons and those 2 games were all I needed to convince me to save some money up and get one. SFII was probably one of my most played games of all time, I still love a go (and hope that Sony Europe get their act together in getting Capcom’s HD remake up on the store).

I’ve had many memories since then; first seeing Goldeneye on the N64, 4 player Bomberman on the SNES with the multitap and finishing Max Payne to name a few. But the first memories of gaming on my Spectrum and the whole Street Fighter II thing will stay with me forever.

So, spill the beans, what are your favourite gaming memories?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.