GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"19th December 2003"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 13/05/03 at 22:37
Regular
Did anyone just watch that program 'The Day Britain Stopped'?

T'was freaky.
Wed 14/05/03 at 22:59
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
I watched it today on the web.

It ~could~ happen with the traffic but the plan crash couldn't happen from what I've read.

Quote from another forum:

(Sorry! Tehre is antoerh!)

Sod it, I'm bored of correcting my mistakes now, those wo can stay;l)

So can those ones.

Anyway:

"Well Id like to make some comments, as a trainee pilot.

The likly hood of this happening is remote. What the producers of the programme have failed to take into account is some thing called a SID, which is a Standard Instrument Departure.

This means that all departing aircraft have a 'waypoint' which it must head to after departure, and the same is true of go around aircraft.

There are standard rules which state that paths cannot cross of two runways until around 3500 feet. Indeed the aircraft that went around would have ALWAYS turned right after a go around, as this is the "dead side" of the air field, and would simply fly back to the other end of the runway to get back into the stack for another go.

The account is completely inaccurate and meer scare moungering."
Wed 14/05/03 at 22:39
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
maddmun wrote:
> Hmm, I remember the smallpox one, it was excellent, and almost made me
> think it was real, until I realised it wasn't. Didn't see this though,
> and somehow, it sounds WAY too farfetched, they wouldn't let a tired
> controller work.

The Smallpox one was scary, Yea I watched this one too. And yea, its not a matter of how to stop it from happening, its a matter of how to prolong it. It'll happen. damn right it'll happen.

But. It was good never the less. Go the makersss
Wed 14/05/03 at 22:37
Regular
"previously phuzzy."
The full thing can be watched with loads of other info @

www.bbc.co.uk/britainstopped
Wed 14/05/03 at 21:53
"slightlyshortertagl"
Except the tired controller was actually within her 'Emergency time' i.e. the MAXIMUM time an air traffic controller is in, and that's only allowed to be used if there's an emergency.
Wed 14/05/03 at 21:12
Regular
Hmm, I remember the smallpox one, it was excellent, and almost made me think it was real, until I realised it wasn't. Didn't see this though, and somehow, it sounds WAY too farfetched, they wouldn't let a tired controller work.
Wed 14/05/03 at 19:26
Regular
"you've got a beard"
...although i should add that anyone who took it as real and DIDN'T suss the future date deserves ridicule. lots of it :)
Wed 14/05/03 at 19:24
Regular
"you've got a beard"
what i saw of it was really interesting, excellent premise...

i wonder how many people didn't know it was on, tuned in and thought it to be real in a "war of the worlds" kinda way? :)
Wed 14/05/03 at 16:19
Regular
"Wanking Mong"
I kinda thought that the program left itself a little to open to charges of scaremongering. There were a lot of ifs, buts, and maybes with not much explanation of probability.

Still, good show.
Wed 14/05/03 at 14:23
Regular
I like 19th December. It's my birthday, y'see.
Wed 14/05/03 at 12:45
"...Unicef pennies.."
Borat Sagdiyev wrote:
> no I didn't, meant to though.
>
> please summarise the program for me, so I will know if I missed out

Another train crash causes the rail service to go on strike.

This, combined with christmas and an england football friendly, cause the highest volumes of traffic ever.

Two major pileups and resultant diversions cause gridlock across large parts of the country.

Gridlock prevents air traffic controllers from getting to work on time. Workers already present are forced into increased workloads and overtime.

Tired controller makes an error. Two aircraft collide over heathrow. dire roads mean heathrow fire service have to go off site to assist accident. this means that heathrow has to close, and the volume of air traffic means that the UK closes it's airspace.

Britain stops.

the end.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.