GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"So she did it"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 12/05/03 at 12:09
Regular
Clare Short resigns from the cabinet. Some 6 weeks after threatening to, but she did it.
Her resignation letter in full (from several news sites):
-----

Dear Tony

I have decided I must leave the government.
As you know, I thought the run-up to the conflict in Iraq was mishandled, but I agreed to stay in the government to help support the reconstruction effort for the people of Iraq.

I am afraid that the assurances you gave me about the need for a UN mandate to establish a legitimate Iraqi government have been breached.
The Security Council resolution that you and Jack have so secretly negotiated contradicts the assurances I have given in the House of Commons and elsewhere about the legal authority of the occupying powers, and the need for a UN-led process to establish a legitimate Iraqi government. This makes my position impossible.
It has been a great honour for me to have led the establishment and development of the Department for International Development over the past six years.
I am proud of what we have achieved and much else that the government has done.

I am sad and sorry that it has ended like this.

Yours
Clare
---

Secretly negotiated contradicting assurances of the legal authority of occuping powers and need for a UN-led process to establish a legitimate Iraqi government?
Sounds like Blair and Straw have agreed to "The Authority" proposal giving the UK and USA sole discretionary power over the financial output from oil.

Stay tuned kids, this'll get interesting.
Thu 15/05/03 at 16:21
Regular
"Aoe Master"
...................``........................`
Tue 13/05/03 at 16:17
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
Dear Tony,

Why didn't you tell me the war was over? Now I look stupid!

Yours truly,
Clare
Mon 12/05/03 at 20:06
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
So she quits something which she was arguably good at, because of this one thing ? Counterproductive somewhat I feel, as she's more than likely going to be replaced by a "yes" man or woman. Before the war, within the American administration Colin Powell often disagreed publically with Bush on the best way to proceed but he stayed the course. Whatever Short's feelings are on this, she had a job to do, even more so now that the war is over, and the best way she could have shown her feelings was to help the people of Iraq using her position, not use a resignation to gain a public platform for her own thoughts before disappearing onto the back benches.

I hardly think her talk of the post war administration is earth shattering though, it's been clear since day one that the UN would have little role to play.

Is this a case of her leaving before she's pushed ? Maybe.
Mon 12/05/03 at 17:39
Regular
Mr Snuggly wrote:
> How much for a Mandelson comeback?

--

Heh, or Stephen Byers...Could happen.
Mon 12/05/03 at 16:40
"Mimmargh!"
Two powers invaded another state for sercurity and resources...? Crazy! What has the world come to when states only look out for their own people? Bizarre I tells you!

Well the UN, with its immense power and complete independence, will have to put sanctions on the perpertrators of this evil crime.
Mon 12/05/03 at 13:46
"Darth Vader 3442321"
I'll be gutted when our hospitals are improved using "oil money".

The fact is that due to the inneficiency of the previous regime, oil production was about 1/3rd of potential. Now they (the Iraqis) have the opportunity to use their natural resource to fund their own country's needs and we'll benefit, from being one of the few who had the guts/ability to do anything. The money generated will benefit Iraq, America and Britain, albeit with the self interest of our nation at the being a primary consideration.
Mon 12/05/03 at 13:42
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
How much for a Mandelson comeback?
Mon 12/05/03 at 12:16
Regular
"not dead"
Standing up for what she believes in. Properly this time.

Talk of 'secret negotiations' will be all over the press now. Very nicely done.
Mon 12/05/03 at 12:09
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Clare Short resigns from the cabinet. Some 6 weeks after threatening to, but she did it.
Her resignation letter in full (from several news sites):
-----

Dear Tony

I have decided I must leave the government.
As you know, I thought the run-up to the conflict in Iraq was mishandled, but I agreed to stay in the government to help support the reconstruction effort for the people of Iraq.

I am afraid that the assurances you gave me about the need for a UN mandate to establish a legitimate Iraqi government have been breached.
The Security Council resolution that you and Jack have so secretly negotiated contradicts the assurances I have given in the House of Commons and elsewhere about the legal authority of the occupying powers, and the need for a UN-led process to establish a legitimate Iraqi government. This makes my position impossible.
It has been a great honour for me to have led the establishment and development of the Department for International Development over the past six years.
I am proud of what we have achieved and much else that the government has done.

I am sad and sorry that it has ended like this.

Yours
Clare
---

Secretly negotiated contradicting assurances of the legal authority of occuping powers and need for a UN-led process to establish a legitimate Iraqi government?
Sounds like Blair and Straw have agreed to "The Authority" proposal giving the UK and USA sole discretionary power over the financial output from oil.

Stay tuned kids, this'll get interesting.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.