GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Sega - your thoughts?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 31/01/01 at 14:44
Regular
With recent developments surrounding Sega's decision to focus their development for a multitude of different
platforms, I was interested - do you think that Sega moving in to third-party territory will have an affect on the industry?

If you think about it, third-party houses such as; EA, Square, Capcom, Konami etc. have pretty much dominated the market in terms of sales and franchises. Now with the addition of Sega as a third-party we'll be seeing franchises such as the Virtua series, Sonic etc. On these other consoles. Surely this must worry these other third-parties? Sega boasts some of the best development teams around - Smilebit, Amusement Vision, Hitmaker, United Artists and Sonic Team. Who wouldn't want any of these companies titles on their console?

Sequel to Nights on GameCube? Yes please! Panzeer Dragoon on PS2? Consider it done!

Sega aim to take 25% of the software market, which is quite a hefty chunk, but I think the smart thing to notice here, is that by porting titles like Virtua Fighter 4 to the PS2, they're giving the game a bigger platform to stand-on, therefore, increasing it's popularity.

Of course, let's not forget about the Dreamcast - it's still got a couple of years left in it yet. Admist
the fact the development of the console will cease to continue from March 2001. However, we all know that
Sega continue to develop titles for the console throughout the next 18 months and beyond.

Sega have ALWAYS been about games, not systems, but games. Let's hope they get the recognition they deserve now Sega have given themselves a bigger platform to work on.

-- Steve --
Wed 31/01/01 at 14:44
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
With recent developments surrounding Sega's decision to focus their development for a multitude of different
platforms, I was interested - do you think that Sega moving in to third-party territory will have an affect on the industry?

If you think about it, third-party houses such as; EA, Square, Capcom, Konami etc. have pretty much dominated the market in terms of sales and franchises. Now with the addition of Sega as a third-party we'll be seeing franchises such as the Virtua series, Sonic etc. On these other consoles. Surely this must worry these other third-parties? Sega boasts some of the best development teams around - Smilebit, Amusement Vision, Hitmaker, United Artists and Sonic Team. Who wouldn't want any of these companies titles on their console?

Sequel to Nights on GameCube? Yes please! Panzeer Dragoon on PS2? Consider it done!

Sega aim to take 25% of the software market, which is quite a hefty chunk, but I think the smart thing to notice here, is that by porting titles like Virtua Fighter 4 to the PS2, they're giving the game a bigger platform to stand-on, therefore, increasing it's popularity.

Of course, let's not forget about the Dreamcast - it's still got a couple of years left in it yet. Admist
the fact the development of the console will cease to continue from March 2001. However, we all know that
Sega continue to develop titles for the console throughout the next 18 months and beyond.

Sega have ALWAYS been about games, not systems, but games. Let's hope they get the recognition they deserve now Sega have given themselves a bigger platform to work on.

-- Steve --
Wed 31/01/01 at 14:45
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
Apologies for the terrible formatting of the above post.

-- Steve --
Wed 31/01/01 at 14:50
Regular
"not dead"
Sega have always produced games of the highest quality, both in the arcades, and on their consoles, so the fact that they will be developing games for all platforms should be very well received news for any gamer.

Last year I believe that some third-party houses such as EA made more money than Sega, and Sony's PS division, so the move should certainly make Sega profitable again.

Imagine that, Sega with more money to invest in game development!

Sega has also always been innovators, and some of the peripherals seen on the Dreamcast really look like they're a lot of fun, hopefully they won't stop producing the fun accessories to go with the games!
Wed 31/01/01 at 14:55
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
Defintely - a version of Samba De Amigo on the GameCube complete with Maracas periphials wouldn't be a bad idea.

-- Steve --
Wed 31/01/01 at 15:18
"Darkness, always"
I'm sorry, but all I can say about SEGA is that, following a string of console flops, they are seriously better off concentrating their efforts elsewhere.

They should go back to the amusement arcades, where they pull out some decent stuff, and they should stay there and leave console gaming to those who do it well, like Sony, and, yes (don't deny it, they are better than SEGA and always have been), Nintendo.

Why does everyone pull out better consoles than SEGA? Because, unlike SEGA, everyone else knows the value of playability.

If SEGA ever learn this lesson, they will no doubt be welcomed back into the console market with open arms....
Wed 31/01/01 at 15:20
"Darkness, always"
What games of quality? Sonic?

I think not.

SEGA produce games based on ideas not thoroughly developed, which is why they work better in the arcades as short snaps of gaming as opposed to owning them on a console...
Wed 31/01/01 at 15:37
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
They should go back to the amusement arcades,
> where they pull out some decent stuff, and they should stay there
> and leave console gaming to those who do it well, like Sony, and,
> yes (don't deny it, they are better than SEGA and always have been),
> Nintendo.

In terms of what? Selling more consoles than Sega? Or development?

What first party titles have Sony developed that can match games such as; Skies Of Arcadia, Jet Set Radio, Phantasy Star Online and Nights for sheer playability?

Don't get me wrong, I think Sony are a successful company, they've got nothing to prove in the marketing of the console and I look forward to the many hours of gaming bliss the PS2 will bring me. But for sheer gaming heaven, Sega know how to push the right buttons with a hardcore gamer.

-- Steve --
Wed 31/01/01 at 16:29
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
I don't know if anyone has written this but I don't think Sega will be a 3rd party company, despte the fact they will be producing titles for the PS2 and GBA, the name Sega still rings a bell with all gamers and parents around the world.

I think that Sega have done that bit extra to just get on the top rung of the developers ladder. Despite the hardwork that goes on behind the scenes of Komani, Squaresoft etc. I think Sega have done just that bit more to get the top spot.

Who knows, in the years to come sega may decide once again to produce hardware and get back in to the console wars.

But as for now I think that they have earned top spot where developers and manufacturers are concerned!

The Game
Wed 31/01/01 at 17:35
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
"don't think Sega will be a 3rd party company, despte the fact they will be producing titles for the PS2 and GBA"

Arnt you contradicting yourself?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.