GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Halo Wars (Preview)"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Halo Wars'.
Wed 04/02/09 at 15:10
"possibly impossible"
Halo Wars is one of those games that it seems we’ve waited ages for, but the demo is due up on Thursday this week. I’ve been lucky enough to get a copy of the demo early so I thought I’d give a preview of the game.

The game differs from the previous 3 Halo titles in that this time it’s a Realtime Strategy game. Like most RTS games it involves resource management, moving troops and vehicles with different skills and an amount of strategy to beat the enemy. Just like Command and Conquer on the 360, the game uses an isometric view and has simplified controls for the 360’s joypad. Basic controls are kept simple; A chooses troops, X moves them or engages enemy and Y lets you use special weapons like grenades. The tutorials are short and painless and it’s worth getting to grips with these before you start trying to play the demo levels.

The Campaign mode tells the story from 20 years before the Halo event. Humans are taking back a planet once ravaged by the Covenant, but things seem to get complicated when the Covenant find an artefact. Serina (the forbearer of Cortana) and a brash captain (Captain Cutter) are at the forefront of the fight.

Supplies are received by building supply bases for craft to land from off-world. It’s a similar idea to the Command and Conquer Tiberium fields but without the fields (if that makes sense), I’m sure they’ll be ways that the game will make you fight for resources later on. In addition, the enemy leaves crates around for your troops to pick up and add even more energy to your base.

Graphics-wise, the game stays faithful in look and feel to the Halo series, albeit set in an isometric world rather than first or third person. The menus and music are all very Halo-esque, as is the speech. Despite the troops being small, they really have a lot of detail to them. The cut scenes help as well, in the first mission there are loads but they never seem to be unwelcome, just moving the story on. They seem to be even better than the story in Halo 3, which is welcome as story is vital to make any RTS game more interesting.

My final point of praise goes to the easy upgrading of your base, they’ve made it really easy to keep track of what you’re doing and through icons it’s pretty straight-forward to work out how much more resources you’ll need to create any specific unit or upgrade your supply base.

The only criticism I have at the moment is that sometimes the small radar map doesn’t give you enough information on where your troops are on the playing field, they’re just green dots which can be lost amongst the enemy and other information being shown.

So in summary Halo Wars works really well and avoids some of the control pitfalls of the RTS genre on console while retaining the all important Halo feel.

The Halo Wars demo arrives on XBL tomorrow and is well worth downloading.

9/10
Wed 04/02/09 at 22:38
Regular
"THFC"
Spiffing good read old chap, i will be downloading it on your review's praise, i like RA3 so should hopefully enjoy this one, but we will see.

Nice review mate!
Wed 04/02/09 at 15:10
"possibly impossible"
Halo Wars is one of those games that it seems we’ve waited ages for, but the demo is due up on Thursday this week. I’ve been lucky enough to get a copy of the demo early so I thought I’d give a preview of the game.

The game differs from the previous 3 Halo titles in that this time it’s a Realtime Strategy game. Like most RTS games it involves resource management, moving troops and vehicles with different skills and an amount of strategy to beat the enemy. Just like Command and Conquer on the 360, the game uses an isometric view and has simplified controls for the 360’s joypad. Basic controls are kept simple; A chooses troops, X moves them or engages enemy and Y lets you use special weapons like grenades. The tutorials are short and painless and it’s worth getting to grips with these before you start trying to play the demo levels.

The Campaign mode tells the story from 20 years before the Halo event. Humans are taking back a planet once ravaged by the Covenant, but things seem to get complicated when the Covenant find an artefact. Serina (the forbearer of Cortana) and a brash captain (Captain Cutter) are at the forefront of the fight.

Supplies are received by building supply bases for craft to land from off-world. It’s a similar idea to the Command and Conquer Tiberium fields but without the fields (if that makes sense), I’m sure they’ll be ways that the game will make you fight for resources later on. In addition, the enemy leaves crates around for your troops to pick up and add even more energy to your base.

Graphics-wise, the game stays faithful in look and feel to the Halo series, albeit set in an isometric world rather than first or third person. The menus and music are all very Halo-esque, as is the speech. Despite the troops being small, they really have a lot of detail to them. The cut scenes help as well, in the first mission there are loads but they never seem to be unwelcome, just moving the story on. They seem to be even better than the story in Halo 3, which is welcome as story is vital to make any RTS game more interesting.

My final point of praise goes to the easy upgrading of your base, they’ve made it really easy to keep track of what you’re doing and through icons it’s pretty straight-forward to work out how much more resources you’ll need to create any specific unit or upgrade your supply base.

The only criticism I have at the moment is that sometimes the small radar map doesn’t give you enough information on where your troops are on the playing field, they’re just green dots which can be lost amongst the enemy and other information being shown.

So in summary Halo Wars works really well and avoids some of the control pitfalls of the RTS genre on console while retaining the all important Halo feel.

The Halo Wars demo arrives on XBL tomorrow and is well worth downloading.

9/10

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.