GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Is there any way to..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 09/05/03 at 18:59
Regular
run an dial-up connection at the same time on two computers - ie so that two people can use separate comps and be on the internet at the same time?
Just a thought.
Fri 09/05/03 at 18:59
Regular
"the burning sky"
run an dial-up connection at the same time on two computers - ie so that two people can use separate comps and be on the internet at the same time?
Just a thought.
Fri 09/05/03 at 19:03
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
If you had two lines, I guess.
Fri 09/05/03 at 19:06
Regular
"the burning sky"
Then you'd need to register with the ISP twice. But you always hear of ways how people with broadband doin it, i just wondered if you could with a dial up.
Fri 09/05/03 at 19:10
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
]-[ØM€® B€€® §ØL!!D wrote:
> run an dial-up connection at the same time on two computers - ie so
> that two people can use separate comps and be on the internet at the
> same time?
> Just a thought.

Yes you could. You would need a Network card(NIC) in both machines. Connect the computers up via a Crossover cable. Then on the computer with the modem select the internet connection to use Internet Connection Sharing(ICS). ICS is only really included in Win 98SE and above. Also if your running any firewalls then you need to make sure your allow the NIC of the second machine access, as if you dont you wont be able to connect. A friend brought his laptop around and we had this problem. The problem with this is that the computer with the internet connection must be connected to the internet and turned on for the 2nd computer to use it. I dont think there are any other ways as Routers only work for ADSL or Cable. Another thing you could do if you do setup a ICS connection is allow networking of the 2 computers. So you can transfer files and play games over a LAN.
Sat 10/05/03 at 09:08
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
I've never been able to get that damned MS ICS software working, so i'd reccomend AnologX's proxy software (www.anologx.com), only problem being you can't use ICQ on the second comp. Although i've heard of some people being able to, even though (technically) the software doesn't support it.
Sat 10/05/03 at 19:54
Regular
"whoneedsatagline?"
I'm running a desktop on XP and a laptop on Win98SE, connected with a crossover network cable, and the ICS bit is working fine through my dial-up connection. There's a Network Wizard on the XP CD that does all the work for you, including setting up the Win98 machine.

Yes, the desktop has to be powered on, but it doesnt have to be connected to the net, because starting up IE on the laptop causes the desktop to dial up at that time.
Sun 11/05/03 at 09:41
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Using proxy software for connection sharing is an absolutely horrible solution, as you have to reconfigure every single application and hope that it works. Best use proper NAT/connection sharing, such as is provided in Windows for you.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.