GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I think I lost myself on this one."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 09/05/03 at 10:46
Regular
I watched Shallow Hal about a month ago but it left me with a few too many thoughts (just one but still too many). Most people know what happens. Hal goes after only the slim, pretty girls and leaves the large, less desirable alone. Then the self-help guy makes him see the person inside of women. This is what gets me.

Now if the woman is nice on the inside she is depicted as slim and all pretty and such. The not so nice people are depicted as large and not so pretty. Now I start to think about this. Is it trying to tell us that being large of build or fat, if you will, is wrong or just not nice. If so then being slim is the right thing for us all to be, because it shows that the person is good on the inside when Hal looks at them.

Now because it’s all see through Hal’s eyes then it can just be seen as what Hal finds attractive and not defined by society (even thought that is what most people would usually go for when first eyeing someone up). If this view is taken, then that means that it is what Hal wants them to look like but we all know what happens later in the film.

I have not worded all this very well but I think it may be possible to just about see what I’m possibly trying to say, I may have missed some point. I have no real reason to point all this out but I was just kind of thinking about it. I really don’t know why.
Fri 09/05/03 at 10:46
Regular
"I'm Great."
I watched Shallow Hal about a month ago but it left me with a few too many thoughts (just one but still too many). Most people know what happens. Hal goes after only the slim, pretty girls and leaves the large, less desirable alone. Then the self-help guy makes him see the person inside of women. This is what gets me.

Now if the woman is nice on the inside she is depicted as slim and all pretty and such. The not so nice people are depicted as large and not so pretty. Now I start to think about this. Is it trying to tell us that being large of build or fat, if you will, is wrong or just not nice. If so then being slim is the right thing for us all to be, because it shows that the person is good on the inside when Hal looks at them.

Now because it’s all see through Hal’s eyes then it can just be seen as what Hal finds attractive and not defined by society (even thought that is what most people would usually go for when first eyeing someone up). If this view is taken, then that means that it is what Hal wants them to look like but we all know what happens later in the film.

I have not worded all this very well but I think it may be possible to just about see what I’m possibly trying to say, I may have missed some point. I have no real reason to point all this out but I was just kind of thinking about it. I really don’t know why.
Fri 09/05/03 at 11:26
Regular
Cid Vilante wrote:
> I have not worded all this very well but I think it may be possible to
> just about see what I’m possibly trying to say, I may have missed some
> point. I have no real reason to point all this out but I was just
> kind of thinking about it. I really don’t know why.

hey man you're kind of all over the place there. Well I can see what you're getting at, and I proudly say that I find 'painfully slim' far more unattractive than someone who is overweight. that is - not too overweight. I look at people like posh spice and super-models and wonder how anyone could find girls that look like skeletons attractive. Why punish your body like that?

I'm not saying overweight is always attractive though, if you have trouble moving or performing normal daily tasks because of weight (and it ISN'T because of a condition), you should do something about it. Not because it is unattractive to others asthetically, but because it is terrible for your health - showing you have little respect for your body IS unattractive to others. Many people like myself are blessed with a high metabolism, but one day it will slow down, and I will have to work a lot harder to keep a slim figure. But obesity is incredibly unhealthy and it is important to look after your body, for your own sake. Eating healthily and exercising as regularly as you can is important. It is our western lifestyle that creates these problems. Eating garbage, drinking beer and sitting in front of the box all the time is not what your body was designed to do.

I don't want any of this to make me sound shallow - I am really not. If someone is attractive, they are attractive, there are no factors that you could name that make someone attractive. You simply look at someone and/or interact with them and know whether you are attracted to them or not. Tall, short, fat, skinny, whatever. If you fancy someone, you fancy them, end of story.

it has nothing to do with weight, I was only looking really at the health aspects of such things.

reading all that back I have no idea what I was trying to say.

Fri 09/05/03 at 11:32
Regular
"I'm Great."
Tis easy to get lost. I pretty much got what you're saying and I pretty much agree. I find someone attractive based on the whole package I see and find.
I too have kind of a fast metabolism(sp) but I have noticed it's starting to slow down. must try to cut down on the junk food, no more big meals, just pizza on it's own and no side dishes. I don't think it's going to last though.
Fri 09/05/03 at 11:36
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
What about the lady near the end who was really ugly through his eyes but turned out to be quite nice looking to everyone else?
Fri 09/05/03 at 11:38
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
That film is just one massive contradiction. If he sees "Ugly" people as beautiful, surely the beauty he then sees would be turned to ugliness? Also, Jack Black is a tubby little porker too - does Gwynny see him as Prince or something?
Fri 09/05/03 at 12:05
Regular
monkey_man wrote:
> Also, Jack Black is a tubby little
> porker too - does Gwynny see him as Prince or something?

yeah, I hate the annoying little gimp.
Fri 09/05/03 at 12:20
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Didn't say I hated him, just that he's not exactly on the thinner side of life, thereby making his character a walking hypocrite.
Fri 09/05/03 at 17:43
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
That was a part of its point, it's even mentioned in the movie.
Fri 09/05/03 at 19:48
Regular
"I see you"
The self help guys makes him see the inner beauty in people, so if inside they are really nice people then Hal will see them as nice even if they are fat or skinny.
Fri 09/05/03 at 19:53
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
Most fat women I know are incredibly annoying.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.