GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Memento"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 07/05/03 at 17:36
Regular
I've wanted to see this film for ages and wondered if it was worth getting on DVD, so I rented it first. Here is my opinion on Memento.

Plot: A man wakes up after suffering a concussion to find his wife murdered. He has short-term memory loss which means he cannot remember events of the past day and has to keep notes in the form of pictures with annotations and tatoos on his body. Those that choose to help him may be taking advantage of his illness. Can he solve the mystery of who killed his wife?

Notes: The way in which the film is shot is very unique, in that the film is basically backwards, going from the end to the start and we get cuts at important parts of the film where our main character, Leonard, is talking on the phone in black and white. Very well done, as long as you don't mind film noir. My only complaint is that it was blatantly obvious from the start who the enemy was and any suspense the film had was gone in the first five minutes really. Still, the amazing direction makes up for that in many ways.

Cast & Directing: Guy Pearce is excellent as Leonard and the supporting cast of Carrie Anne Moss and Joe Poliantino are excellent as their respective characters. Excellently directed also.

Best bit: Perhaps the start of the film, which is ultimately the ending, where Leonard's problems are solved by blasting Poliantino's head off.

Ending: The initial problem is solved at the end and it's a pretty satisying ending, despite the fact it was blatantly obvious from the start who the enemy was.

Opinion: This film is very cool and brilliantly directed. It'll certainly be the next DVD I'm going to order.

Official Site: www.otnemem.com

Rating: 10/10

Noobster
Thu 08/05/03 at 17:13
Regular
Goatboy wrote:
> It was that bloke from Neighbours scribbling all over himself whilst
> Trinity and Cypher were mysterious.
>
> Rubbish.

heh, I don't agree, but the way you put it was class ...
Thu 08/05/03 at 13:22
"Darth Vader 3442321"
Actually, Louis Lane always seemed very agressive for a lady. And in Superman 2 he spent most of the film grappling with bearded men and a definite lessa.

Superman 3 and 4 were gay films too.

Another child hero bites the pillow er dust.

*Sigh*
Thu 08/05/03 at 12:56
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Yeah you're right.
A dude in a cape, red pants and fruity little booties doesn't smoke the man pole.
Yeah...Man of Steel.
Thu 08/05/03 at 12:39
"Darth Vader 3442321"
Superman isn't into manclam so stop your evil spam, man.
Thu 08/05/03 at 12:36
Regular
"not dead"
Goatboy wrote:
> What, like Superman?

But... Superman... doesn't... look.... gay?

Okay, so my statement was a little flawed...
Thu 08/05/03 at 12:30
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
What, like Superman?
Thu 08/05/03 at 11:19
Regular
"not dead"
Goatboy wrote:
> It was that bloke from Neighbours scribbling all over himself whilst
> Trinity and Cypher were mysterious.
>
> Rubbish.

I liked it. Even though they threw new information at you at the very end, which is just a tiny bit annoying.

"Ha ha, we caught you out!"

"But you gave me no indication of this, you didn't catch me out, you cheated!"

What made it better is that Guy Pearce didn't fly off at the end, like Keanu Reeves did in The Matrix.

Any film in which blokes don't look all gay and fly around is infinitely better than any film in which they do.
Thu 08/05/03 at 11:02
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
It was that bloke from Neighbours scribbling all over himself whilst Trinity and Cypher were mysterious.

Rubbish.
Thu 08/05/03 at 09:16
"Darth Vader 3442321"
Noobst@r wrote:
> My only complaint is that it was
> blatantly obvious from the start who the enemy was and any suspense
> the film had was gone in the first five minutes really.

*SPOILER*

I thought the whole point of the film was the fact he wasn't the "enemy". At the alpha-denoument we find out that Pearcey decides to make him the killer (as he hates the way he is being manipulated) and the whole premise of the film takes on a new meaning: a self fulfilling prophecy.

Great film.
Thu 08/05/03 at 07:51
Regular
"I am Riki Takeuchi!"
Although he sucked in The Time Machine.

But then that entire film sucked, apart from Samantha Mumba is skimpy clothes :D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.