GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"You Lied to Me"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 07/05/03 at 16:10
Regular
A REALLY short story I've written, about feelings I have about '3 Lions' from 1996.

Read

You lied to me Baddiel. Took me down the garden path, pulled the wool over my eyes, sold me short. Sugar coat it however you want – you maliciously murder my dreams.

You and that Skinner bloke. ‘It’s coming home’, you told me, ‘Football’s coming home’. And I believed you, like the fool that I was. The stupid, 8 year old fool I was. I bet if you’d have told me that Alan shearer was really French I’d have believed you as well.

You took advantage of me. Filled my heart full of dreams, filled my head full of wishes and my feet full of football. A lot of good that did me. For all that month I was high. High on the wave of hope which you created with those lyrics you sang to me. ’30 years of hurt, Never stopped me dreaming’.

Nothing could stop me dreaming. Not the fact that I was a chubby little midget who could hardly kick a ball, nor the fact I could only name 3 of the England team. To myself I was a footballing master, I knew every tactic in the book and could finish better than Pele. Your song overpowered the rest – it hid the laughs which ensued when I tried to copy what the expert said on the telly, or tried to copy Gazza’s ‘wonder’ goal.

A, wall of noise. A wall of unstoppable noise. Millions up and down the nation chanting that song. Your song.

Southgate steps up…

Silence.

And yes, El Blokey, WRONG FORUM.

Please comment
Wed 07/05/03 at 22:25
Regular
"Laughingstock"
Mr. Tribbers wrote:
> You obviously aren't passionate about the 'beautiful game'. If you
> really loved football, you'll look back on the summer of 1996 with
> death - tinted glasses

No, you've got me wrong. I'm passionate about club football, but not international football.
Wed 07/05/03 at 20:57
Regular
"Festivus!"
Black Glove wrote:
> I was gutted for about 60 seconds, and then I realized that it was
> just a game of football.

You obviously aren't passionate about the 'beautiful game'. If you really loved football, you'll look back on the summer of 1996 with death - tinted glasses

> But having said that, if you put in the emotional investment, and that
> investment comes tumbling down all around you with one penalty kick,
> then I'm not surprised that some people were shattered when it didn't
> 'come home'.

I was shattered. I was 8. I wanted to die.
Wed 07/05/03 at 20:49
Regular
"Light of the world"
1996 - let it go man. It cripled us all but...Just watch rugby instead! :>
Wed 07/05/03 at 20:00
Regular
"Laughingstock"
I was gutted for about 60 seconds, and then I realized that it was just a game of football.
But having said that, if you put in the emotional investment, and that investment comes tumbling down all around you with one penalty kick, then I'm not surprised that some people were shattered when it didn't 'come home'.
Wed 07/05/03 at 19:34
Regular
"Z will be here soon"
Every world cup or Euro thingy, a song is made, it sells a lot of records because people get hopeful and then peoples hopes and dreams are shattered.

Good post, well written dude.
Wed 07/05/03 at 16:10
Regular
"Festivus!"
A REALLY short story I've written, about feelings I have about '3 Lions' from 1996.

Read

You lied to me Baddiel. Took me down the garden path, pulled the wool over my eyes, sold me short. Sugar coat it however you want – you maliciously murder my dreams.

You and that Skinner bloke. ‘It’s coming home’, you told me, ‘Football’s coming home’. And I believed you, like the fool that I was. The stupid, 8 year old fool I was. I bet if you’d have told me that Alan shearer was really French I’d have believed you as well.

You took advantage of me. Filled my heart full of dreams, filled my head full of wishes and my feet full of football. A lot of good that did me. For all that month I was high. High on the wave of hope which you created with those lyrics you sang to me. ’30 years of hurt, Never stopped me dreaming’.

Nothing could stop me dreaming. Not the fact that I was a chubby little midget who could hardly kick a ball, nor the fact I could only name 3 of the England team. To myself I was a footballing master, I knew every tactic in the book and could finish better than Pele. Your song overpowered the rest – it hid the laughs which ensued when I tried to copy what the expert said on the telly, or tried to copy Gazza’s ‘wonder’ goal.

A, wall of noise. A wall of unstoppable noise. Millions up and down the nation chanting that song. Your song.

Southgate steps up…

Silence.

And yes, El Blokey, WRONG FORUM.

Please comment

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.