GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Ring (Original)"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 06/05/03 at 19:13
Regular
After foolishly seeeing the naff American remake first, I thought it time to see the Japanese counterpart, which I heard was far better. Here is my review of the original Ring.

Plot: There is legend of a tape that has been killing people when they watch it (7 days following a phone call that tells them this) and reporter Reiko has a week after seeing the tape to unravel the mystery of the tape before it will kill her. Can she solve it in time?

Notes: This film is in many ways very similar to the yank remake (or the other way around) and it almost appears that the yanks have almost copied this version word for word and description for description. The tape is virtually the same and what can't be said for other remakes, the storyline is exactly the same as this version. We also get dark environments in both. I heard a lot of good about this film, so my expectations were set high. I was somewhat surprised at how close the resemablance was, especially when the USA one got stick when it stayed so close to the original. Hell, even the shot where we first see Sadako's eye is practically the same! Oh,. and the way in which we see them die is far better, in that the screen inverts and that, rather than someone just screaming.

Cast & Directing: None of the cast members are recognisable for anything I've seen (but they are Japanese :P). Firstly, the kid in this film was far more convincing as being a second Haley Joel Osment, unlike the kid in the yank and the fact that this Japanese kid was so small and innocent added to this.

Best bit: Reiko's ex-husband gets caught by Sadako and dies.

Ending: Pretty surprising and those expecting a happy ending will be mistaken, but I liked this, as our heroine was left in dispair as the film ended, but I didn't think (as in the yank one) it was made clear enough how she evaded Sadako.

Opinion: This film is pretty cool and the acting/script is better than the yank one. This just shows that a Battle Royale remake would only be a waste of our time.

Official Site: http://www.ring-themovie.com/

Rating: 9/10

Noobster
Wed 07/05/03 at 08:11
Regular
"I am Riki Takeuchi!"
Yeah. And the USA remake is re-tar-ded. How anyone can prefer it over the original, I really dunno.
Tue 06/05/03 at 21:15
Regular
"I Feel Depressed!"
I watched the original Ring before i saw the new version and i agree the original is far better than the remake.
Sadako looks more life-like at the end of the original.
Tue 06/05/03 at 19:13
Regular
"I am Riki Takeuchi!"
After foolishly seeeing the naff American remake first, I thought it time to see the Japanese counterpart, which I heard was far better. Here is my review of the original Ring.

Plot: There is legend of a tape that has been killing people when they watch it (7 days following a phone call that tells them this) and reporter Reiko has a week after seeing the tape to unravel the mystery of the tape before it will kill her. Can she solve it in time?

Notes: This film is in many ways very similar to the yank remake (or the other way around) and it almost appears that the yanks have almost copied this version word for word and description for description. The tape is virtually the same and what can't be said for other remakes, the storyline is exactly the same as this version. We also get dark environments in both. I heard a lot of good about this film, so my expectations were set high. I was somewhat surprised at how close the resemablance was, especially when the USA one got stick when it stayed so close to the original. Hell, even the shot where we first see Sadako's eye is practically the same! Oh,. and the way in which we see them die is far better, in that the screen inverts and that, rather than someone just screaming.

Cast & Directing: None of the cast members are recognisable for anything I've seen (but they are Japanese :P). Firstly, the kid in this film was far more convincing as being a second Haley Joel Osment, unlike the kid in the yank and the fact that this Japanese kid was so small and innocent added to this.

Best bit: Reiko's ex-husband gets caught by Sadako and dies.

Ending: Pretty surprising and those expecting a happy ending will be mistaken, but I liked this, as our heroine was left in dispair as the film ended, but I didn't think (as in the yank one) it was made clear enough how she evaded Sadako.

Opinion: This film is pretty cool and the acting/script is better than the yank one. This just shows that a Battle Royale remake would only be a waste of our time.

Official Site: http://www.ring-themovie.com/

Rating: 9/10

Noobster

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.