GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Retro Gaming on your DVD Player"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 30/01/01 at 18:50
Regular
Ahh the memories of my childhood. It was early 1990, The Shamen had a friend called Ebbenezer, Quatro was still a drink people remembered, Opal Fruits were still Opal Fruits and Don Bluth released some amazing FOUR disk computers game for the Atari ST... they were of cause Space Ace and Dragon's Lair. These games were the first that I can remember to have full screen, Disney style graphics with digitised speech, albeit recorded through a sock but real speech none the less. You were presented with numerous screens where you decided your hero's fate by chosing a direction to push in or pressing the one kempston button, there were none of these 46-button combo's in order to get your character to back-flip etc. If you got it wrong you died and had to start again and remember what you pressed on all the previous screens. It didn't take long to work out that you just had to write it down on a piece of paper but it was a simple concept that may not have stunned the world but it stunned me and my mates.

Now some bright spark has decided to revive these classic games on DVD and by DVD I mean your normal run-of-the-mill DVD player. You can play these great classics by shoving in the disc like a normal movie and pushing the buttons on your DVD remote. Now we can all relive a bit of our child hoods! The disc also contain the typical extra DVD extra's like an interview with Don Bluth (the games creator - who for some reason I always expected to look like James Belushi!?!).

So if this is the way forward then what is next, hows about 7th Guest and Myst for a start and then who knows, maybe these clever young developers will work their way up to early point and click games like Loom, Cruise for a Corpse, Monkey Island and Operation Stealth!

The Future's bright. The Future's... this little gold colour disc that's about 5 inches across and rather dull to look at actually...
Sun 04/02/01 at 17:51
It would be nice if we had interactive movies, were we could choose between 2 possible scenarios at 4 points or more in a movie (A bit like in Resident Evil3 Nemesis!).
Fri 02/02/01 at 11:42
Regular
"Complete Banker"
Space Ace and Dragons Lair are meant to be pretty poor 'gaming' experiences...
Fri 02/02/01 at 10:49
** Tracer ** wrote:
> Ahh the memories of my childhood. It was early 1990, The Shamen had
> a friend called Ebbenezer, Quatro was still a drink people
> remembered, Opal Fruits were still Opal Fruits and Don Bluth
> released some amazing FOUR disk computers game for the Atari ST...
> they were of cause Space Ace and Dragon's Lair.

I remember these games from even further back - in the
arcade they actually contained the latest home video
technology....laserdiscs.

So the conversion to DVD was pretty straightforward...
Tue 30/01/01 at 20:34
Apparently some companies were thinking of building Dreamcast stuff into their DVD players,...a pitty that this probably wont materialize now!
Tue 30/01/01 at 19:07
Regular
"Looking for freedom"
All Space Ace and Dragon's Lair did was play a different piece of film depending on whether you pressed the right or wrong buttons at the right time. Hardly a game, is it?

It's just like calling the main menu of a DVD movie a game. You press the right buttons and you get to watch the film. Press a couple of different buttons and you watch a trailer for the film. Press the wrong button and you switch your player off.

Tue 30/01/01 at 18:50
Ahh the memories of my childhood. It was early 1990, The Shamen had a friend called Ebbenezer, Quatro was still a drink people remembered, Opal Fruits were still Opal Fruits and Don Bluth released some amazing FOUR disk computers game for the Atari ST... they were of cause Space Ace and Dragon's Lair. These games were the first that I can remember to have full screen, Disney style graphics with digitised speech, albeit recorded through a sock but real speech none the less. You were presented with numerous screens where you decided your hero's fate by chosing a direction to push in or pressing the one kempston button, there were none of these 46-button combo's in order to get your character to back-flip etc. If you got it wrong you died and had to start again and remember what you pressed on all the previous screens. It didn't take long to work out that you just had to write it down on a piece of paper but it was a simple concept that may not have stunned the world but it stunned me and my mates.

Now some bright spark has decided to revive these classic games on DVD and by DVD I mean your normal run-of-the-mill DVD player. You can play these great classics by shoving in the disc like a normal movie and pushing the buttons on your DVD remote. Now we can all relive a bit of our child hoods! The disc also contain the typical extra DVD extra's like an interview with Don Bluth (the games creator - who for some reason I always expected to look like James Belushi!?!).

So if this is the way forward then what is next, hows about 7th Guest and Myst for a start and then who knows, maybe these clever young developers will work their way up to early point and click games like Loom, Cruise for a Corpse, Monkey Island and Operation Stealth!

The Future's bright. The Future's... this little gold colour disc that's about 5 inches across and rather dull to look at actually...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.