GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"In the shadow of Gods unwavering love, I am a fortunate son."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 04/05/03 at 13:17
Regular
One of the things you have to come to terms with is that humans are fundamentally selfish creatures. That's how we've evolved to the level that we have done, by serving our own interests as much as we can. The thing is, at some point we realized that it is in our interest to co-operate with other people - not for some abstract greater good, but because it makes life easier for us. There's this philosopher bloke called Hobbs who I've heard a little bit about - his idea is that people are essentially loners. We're only nice to each other because at a primitive level, we really really don't want to get into a fight because it will hurt.

The next thing you have to come to terms with is that this is not just an observation you can make about the rest of the world. You are not exempt from this. That's one of the most crushing realizations you can make - you are not a beautiful or unique snowflake, you're based on the same principles and evolution as everyone else.

The reason we don't help people with nothing is because we manage to keep them invisible. What we can't see cannot disturb us. The closest we will probably ever get to poverty is on television, and if something disturbs us there we can just switch over and watch The Simpsons. Dump the 800,000 Rwandans that were killed in 1994 in Chelsea, London, or New York, then something will be done about them because they're visible. You just don't go looking for things like this - you don't go looking for problems, it is not in your interests.

Again, it's oh so hard to include yourself in these generalizations.

We just want to lock ourselves in big houses and have the nicest looking kids and the best CD collection and the nicest hair, with movies and constant entertainment to occupy ourselves, so we can completely shut out the nasty world. The world can be a beautiful place - but you'll only notice that if you're not starving.

Everything is fragile. Nothing is going to last forever. Look around you, look at the grass and the sunset and the way light attaches itself to your face, creating flickering shadows that use your nose and eyes and mouth as a play park. Look at the power and beauty of your youth, look at how we think we can change the world. Then look at our parents. Look at anyone over the age of thirty. Look into their eyes, and maybe it's just an inner peace, but they're so often dead, as though the world has sapped out all of the energy slowly but constantly throughout the years.

I know I can get so wound up about stupid little things, things like guitars and people and Coldplay. But you have to realize that that stuff just doesn't matter. All it takes is one innocent decision, like choosing to go to school 5 seconds earlier, and you can be hit by a car. There is absolutely NOTHING stopping anyone you know killing you. Nothing.

But then…I don't know. Maybe this fragility is the very thing that is beautiful. And the world is beautiful.

In the shadow of Gods unwavering love, I am a fortunate son.
Sun 04/05/03 at 13:17
Regular
"I am Bumf Ucked"
One of the things you have to come to terms with is that humans are fundamentally selfish creatures. That's how we've evolved to the level that we have done, by serving our own interests as much as we can. The thing is, at some point we realized that it is in our interest to co-operate with other people - not for some abstract greater good, but because it makes life easier for us. There's this philosopher bloke called Hobbs who I've heard a little bit about - his idea is that people are essentially loners. We're only nice to each other because at a primitive level, we really really don't want to get into a fight because it will hurt.

The next thing you have to come to terms with is that this is not just an observation you can make about the rest of the world. You are not exempt from this. That's one of the most crushing realizations you can make - you are not a beautiful or unique snowflake, you're based on the same principles and evolution as everyone else.

The reason we don't help people with nothing is because we manage to keep them invisible. What we can't see cannot disturb us. The closest we will probably ever get to poverty is on television, and if something disturbs us there we can just switch over and watch The Simpsons. Dump the 800,000 Rwandans that were killed in 1994 in Chelsea, London, or New York, then something will be done about them because they're visible. You just don't go looking for things like this - you don't go looking for problems, it is not in your interests.

Again, it's oh so hard to include yourself in these generalizations.

We just want to lock ourselves in big houses and have the nicest looking kids and the best CD collection and the nicest hair, with movies and constant entertainment to occupy ourselves, so we can completely shut out the nasty world. The world can be a beautiful place - but you'll only notice that if you're not starving.

Everything is fragile. Nothing is going to last forever. Look around you, look at the grass and the sunset and the way light attaches itself to your face, creating flickering shadows that use your nose and eyes and mouth as a play park. Look at the power and beauty of your youth, look at how we think we can change the world. Then look at our parents. Look at anyone over the age of thirty. Look into their eyes, and maybe it's just an inner peace, but they're so often dead, as though the world has sapped out all of the energy slowly but constantly throughout the years.

I know I can get so wound up about stupid little things, things like guitars and people and Coldplay. But you have to realize that that stuff just doesn't matter. All it takes is one innocent decision, like choosing to go to school 5 seconds earlier, and you can be hit by a car. There is absolutely NOTHING stopping anyone you know killing you. Nothing.

But then…I don't know. Maybe this fragility is the very thing that is beautiful. And the world is beautiful.

In the shadow of Gods unwavering love, I am a fortunate son.
Sun 04/05/03 at 13:21
Regular
"She's a dog!"
Good post and thats why I say

'Live life today not tomorrow'
Sun 04/05/03 at 14:18
Regular
"Laughingstock"
Mouldy Cheese wrote:
> Everything is fragile. Nothing is going to last forever. Look around
> you, look at the grass and the sunset and the way light attaches
> itself to your face, creating flickering shadows that use your nose
> and eyes and mouth as a play park.

Nice paragraph.
Yes, I'd say the will-to-power or selfishness is the dominant force in every individual's mind. Even those who dedicate their lives to helping the less fortunate are ultimatley doing it for selfish reasons - in that affecting others in a benevolent way empowers them and makes them feel important.
But I think such selfishness is good selfishness. Selfishness which tries to control and manipulate and has a total disregard for for people's feelings is the kind of selfishness that needs to be rooted out and hung up to dry.
Sun 04/05/03 at 15:22
Regular
"cachoo"
I actually read a whole post without skipping. Kept me reading, thass why.
Best thing I've read for a long time. And true..
Sun 04/05/03 at 20:06
Regular
Black Glove wrote:
> Even those who dedicate their lives to
> helping the less fortunate are ultimatley doing it for selfish reasons
> - in that affecting others in a benevolent way empowers them and makes
> them feel important.

Or to ease the nagging voice of conscience that flares up when we can't maintain 'out of sight, out of mind'.

In one respect I disagree with the original post.

But if you take things a little deeper, every decision an individual can make is based on a huge number of factors. Critically, these include the likes of a conscience, and caring about the wellbeing of others.
However, we follow these principles because we want to, because we feel 'bad' if we don't. That's all it is.
'Noble' characteristics, as we may generalise them, are only followed because we chooses to, we want to.

So you have to ask yourself if it's really any better.
I don't think it is.
Sun 04/05/03 at 22:06
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
I'd disagree with many of the original points of the post. The world just isn't like that anymore. The leaders of many countries are realising they can't exist in isolation any more, and there is less desire to simply sit back and let bad things happen. Yes, we won't solve the world's problems over night, or in a few years, but things are changing for the better.

I think many people have the tendency to just sit back, safe in their armchairs, and assume the world is going down the proverbial drainpipe, when in actual fact it isn't. Everywhere that there is poverty, famine, abuses of humanrights e.t.c. there are people, organisations and more, all trying to reverse the situation. But many forget that, and assume that people, nations, will just sit back and do nothing because that's what has happened before.

In my estimation it's a different world were heading towards now, ever since 9/11, and it's going to be a better one, but it will take time to get there. In so many ways the New World Order feared by conspiracy theorists has come about, but in a different way.
Sun 04/05/03 at 23:56
Regular
"Laughingstock"
Star Fury wrote:
> The world
> just isn't like that anymore. The leaders of many countries are
> realising they can't exist in isolation any more, and there is less
> desire to simply sit back and let bad things happen. Yes, we won't
> solve the world's problems over night, or in a few years, but things
> are changing for the better.

But surely self-interest and the furtherance and protection of power is and always has been the reason why governments act.
The coalition didn't go to war with Iraq out of the goodness of their hearts. The war killed a lot of birds with one stone. Yes, getting rid of Saddam and 'freeing' the Iraqi people was a nice after-effect, but the main reasons for doing it were coldly political and strategic. In other words, selfish.
Mon 05/05/03 at 09:30
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
The reasons people act, or nations, are often defined not by them but by others own perceptions.

Does that make those others right all the time ? No it doesn't. Maybe it's a case of the world is too cynical now that we search for reasons which aren't there but that we believe must be, because we cannot imagine anyone acting for other reasons.

Even if the reasons are wrong then the effects of the actions taken are often contributing to a better world for more people. Given the case in Iraq, the war caused massive suffering but there is an unarguable case that life will be better for most Iraqi's under their new government. Medicine is now free, though subejct to the speed at which it can be distributed by NGOs and the allies. Freedom of speech, the right to protest. Yes, we are seeing protests against the allies, but that's good ! That is absolutely brilliant ! Because those people would never be allowed to do so of their own will in Saddam's regime, where protests were stage managed and produced.

Like I said, maybe we have all become a little too cynical nowadays...
Tue 06/05/03 at 16:02
Regular
Regarding the post - I don't normally read these depressing things, but there was a lot of truth in that.

The human spirit is very selfish, and it takes a truly divine soul to give up everything they have to help others. But us turning a blind eye to people the other side of the world is not selfish in itself. You forget that even though our struggle is less of an epic one, we do have daily hardships, even if they are only mental ones. We have the burden of wanting to better ourselves, even if to others we have great lives. Also, we tend to waste much time considering our relationships with others, the hundreds of tasks we have to do every day, while trying to ascertain what we really want to do deep down. It is important to remember that there are people out there that have the selflessness and dedication to help others their whole lives, and when we find them we must do all we can to learn from them.

I don't agree totally that we are loners. Why would we seek our friends out at weekend, to have a few beers with and a conversation? - we enjoy human company, we enjoy comparing our lives with others, to see if our experiences are unique, or shared. This is important in defining the way we think about our lives, taking inspiration from others views of the world.

The world is not a lost cause - and what is important here I think, is that if YOU cannot imagine ever giving your life to helping others, then you are destined to always think that the human spirit is selfish. Charity starts at home is very wide-ranging phrase, that doesn't only apply to finance.
Tue 06/05/03 at 17:13
Regular
"Wanking Mong"
Borat Sagdiyev wrote:

>
> But us turning a blind
> eye to people the other side of the world is not selfish in itself.

True enough, but when certain folk then go on to criticise people on the other side of the world because they don't live their lives according to familiar expectations, that is selfish.

As a side point, why does humanity feel the need for a divine spirit to guide it? The manmade organisations that claim to represent the divine are always the most depressing examples of the banal and petty evil that humanity can stoop to. Why not accept the flaws of the human spirit and, in accepting them, learn to live with them and grow stronger because of it?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.