GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"'Open Tray' = The New RROD?"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 31/01/09 at 22:22
Regular
Within the last 12 months I had RROD on my 360. It turned out to be the DVD drive so I had it replaced with a brand new DVD drive under warranty.

Great.

However, I've just encountered my 360 DVD drive playing silly beggars with me again. No RROD - just kept saying, 'open tray' when I tried to play Quantum of Solace.

Maybe it was hinting to me it didn't like me playing the game...but I'll be damned if I'm going to be controlled by a machine. So I searched 'open tray Xbox 360' on google and found many people seem to have similar problems.

I also noticed that the game wasn't appearing in my recent history on the 360 until it eventually decided to work just now.

Could this be the Xbox's next RROD?

I hope not...
Tue 31/03/09 at 21:42
Regular
"Metal.. Gear?!?"
i got the feeling hard drives mess up your 360? i have a lil small memory card =)
Tue 31/03/09 at 19:08
Regular
Temporary fix: Set the console to boot straight into the game instead of the dashboard.

It's worked for me so far anyway,
Tue 31/03/09 at 13:13
Regular
"Mooching around"
I've got this error with my 3 month old xbox, I just can't be bothered to send it off. I'm waiting to get a PS3 now pretty much for God of War 3 and Final Fantasy versus XIII
Mon 30/03/09 at 15:51
Regular
Hmm, its happening again.

My Xbox 360 has forgotten all my Xbox 360 games I've played - except those I installed to the hard drive.

It also wont play any game disc I put in the console, again just giving me the option yo open the disc tray...
Tue 03/02/09 at 15:28
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
Ah, I get what you mean now :)

I still think the problem would associate with the RRoD, but I'm wondering if Microsoft have decided to de-associate the RRoD with many faulst on the newer machines. Hey, I'm sure like everyone they don't want to spend unnecessary money honouring their 3-year makeshift warranty.

Hopefully the knock on wood will work :D
Tue 03/02/09 at 14:02
Regular
What I meant is its like 'round 2' for the 360's problems...I haven't actually had the RROD this time round.

If I did, and it was the fault of my DVD drive, I would be very annoyed with Microsoft, seeing as it was replaced rather recently (certainly within past 12 months).

I have noticed though that I was experiencing errors reading from disc ever since I downloaded a required update for Fable II. I couldn't actually get passed the intro movie at the start of the game without installing it to the hard drive! I seem to be experiencing crashing on GTAIV too.

Luckily though, my 360 hasn't done that 'open tray' error since I made that post. I'm just glad I've so far had a clean track with all of Nintendo's (And SEGAs') systems I've owned so far...unlike my experiences with both Sony and Microsoft...

Tue 03/02/09 at 13:39
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
The 360 has many reasons for the RRoD. Generally means hardware failure (or, when at GAME...it stood for "it's f-ed!"). I would imagine that would cover the drive error as well. Hopefully it won't amount to anything! It could be down to your game choice though...my 360 doesn't work well with some of the tripe I try to play :p
Sun 01/02/09 at 17:27
"possibly impossible"
hm. It's just a symptom of using cheap parts to keep the costs down. All these people complaining when companies don't do price cuts on their consoles and this is the result.

The RROD was slightly different though, as it was due to rushing a product to market without sufficient testing. But that said, every piece of new technology with so many parts is going to have some failure, a batch of the 60GB PS3 have a known fault with one of the chips disintegrating.
Sat 31/01/09 at 22:22
Regular
Within the last 12 months I had RROD on my 360. It turned out to be the DVD drive so I had it replaced with a brand new DVD drive under warranty.

Great.

However, I've just encountered my 360 DVD drive playing silly beggars with me again. No RROD - just kept saying, 'open tray' when I tried to play Quantum of Solace.

Maybe it was hinting to me it didn't like me playing the game...but I'll be damned if I'm going to be controlled by a machine. So I searched 'open tray Xbox 360' on google and found many people seem to have similar problems.

I also noticed that the game wasn't appearing in my recent history on the 360 until it eventually decided to work just now.

Could this be the Xbox's next RROD?

I hope not...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.