GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Windows XP and ADSL"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 02/05/03 at 21:53
Regular
Having finally moved onto new PC with Windows XP and installed a few things, I came across the 'Network Connections' area, and found something rather interesting.

I have my Pipex connection listed, which uses the USB ADSL Modem as expected, yet unfortunately gives a poor reading of only 28.8kbps as a speed.

Thing is though, I've found an 'ATM Connection' in the same place, which on clicking, gives me the properties of it being an active connection ... a connection also via my ADSL Modem, and gives a reading of 288.0kbps which is a fair bit.

Is this a normal thing for XP, or is this in fact a better alternative to my current connection??? I don't understand a whole lot about networks and connection protocols, so all the options within it don't mean much to me.

Basically, I'd like to know if this faster 'ATM connection' is anything I should use, or indeed be worried about?? It appears to connect as soon as I log on, yet doesn't ask for a Username or Password, and doesn't seem to do anything in terms of letting me go online.

thanks for any help from anyone on this matter.
Fri 02/05/03 at 21:53
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Having finally moved onto new PC with Windows XP and installed a few things, I came across the 'Network Connections' area, and found something rather interesting.

I have my Pipex connection listed, which uses the USB ADSL Modem as expected, yet unfortunately gives a poor reading of only 28.8kbps as a speed.

Thing is though, I've found an 'ATM Connection' in the same place, which on clicking, gives me the properties of it being an active connection ... a connection also via my ADSL Modem, and gives a reading of 288.0kbps which is a fair bit.

Is this a normal thing for XP, or is this in fact a better alternative to my current connection??? I don't understand a whole lot about networks and connection protocols, so all the options within it don't mean much to me.

Basically, I'd like to know if this faster 'ATM connection' is anything I should use, or indeed be worried about?? It appears to connect as soon as I log on, yet doesn't ask for a Username or Password, and doesn't seem to do anything in terms of letting me go online.

thanks for any help from anyone on this matter.
Fri 02/05/03 at 21:55
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Not it appears as one is also showing up as '1394 Connection' with a 400.0kbps speed. It states it is using a '1394 Net Adadper'. Could this be yet another alternative for my ADSL browsing??

Again, thanks for any advice on this stuff :)
Sat 03/05/03 at 00:18
Regular
"bing bang bong"
If your broadband is working as fast as it should be, then don't fiddle :O) The 1394 adaptor is something you see a lot - I think it's some kind of bridge to allow a dialup connection (presumably including ADSL) to function as if it were a network object, but that's pure speculation on my part.
Sat 03/05/03 at 01:38
Regular
"How Handy."
1394 I'd presume is IEEE 1394, aka Firewire. Firewire is a connection standard and 400kbps sounds about right for the speed it uses.
Sat 03/05/03 at 09:23
Regular
"I am Riki Takeuchi!"
I've always been on XP with broadband and not had any problems. 576.0kbps :)
Sat 03/05/03 at 10:27
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Whooo! wrote:
> 1394 I'd presume is IEEE 1394, aka Firewire. Firewire is a connection
> standard and 400kbps sounds about right for the speed it uses.

Ah well, so no 400kbps Internet for me.

Miserableman wrote:
> If your broadband is working as fast as it should be, then don't
> fiddle :O)

28.8kbps as fast as it should be :) I bloody hope not.

So, Whooo! has ruled out the 1394 as being an ADSL-able connection, but what about the 'ATM Connection'??? It actually seems to come under the 'High-Speed Internet section, so does anyone know how I am able to configure it to go through Pipex, rather than the dial-up method I'm on at the momemnt??

Cheers.
Sat 03/05/03 at 14:47
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
288Kbits will be the upload. You should sync to the exchange at 576Kbits Download and 288Kbits upload. Only the upload should change if your using RADSL. But as Miserableman said if its working as fast as it ever has then you should'nt bother with it.

The ATM part is what ADSL uses theres know other option as ATM is the backbone to what ADSL is run on.

Where are you actually getting these figures from as if its the modem properties where it tells you the link status then it should be 576/288.
Sat 03/05/03 at 14:56
Regular
"bing bang bong"
cjh wrote:
> 28.8kbps as fast as it should be :) I bloody hope not.

If my broadband connection said "connected at 14.4Kbps" and I was downloading at 50KBps, I'd be happy.
Sat 03/05/03 at 15:27
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
hhhmm, after a little tweeking, it now reads as 288.0kbps.

Still, the average download only reads in at 24, 25, 26kbps, which isn't anywhere near the 50kbps you are happy with.

But I don't really understand this, if you have a 512kbps line, why do people see 50kbps as being good??

Thanks for the details up to now :)
Sat 03/05/03 at 15:33
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
Because the 512 is kiloBITS per second, and downloads tend to be measured in kiloBYTES per second.

There are 8 bits in a byte, so 512/8 = 64, so theoretically, 64kb/s downloads are the maximum speed.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.