GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Buy this DVD"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 01/05/03 at 22:19
Regular
Ok, probably some of you may never have heard of this movie, whilst others will have.

Big Trouble in Little China - directed by John Carpenter and starring Kurt Russell, Kim Catrall and some other people I can't remember.
Superb movie from the mid-eighties, and the DVD is excellent for the commentary with Carpenter and Russell talking about everything from the movie to how Russell's son is doing at ice hockey.

Plot?
Jack Burton (Russell) is a truck-driver that happens to get involved in a kidnapping of a green-eyed Oriental, meant to be marrying his mate.
It starts as a triad type movie, but within 15 mins has turned into something else entirely with ancient gods shooting light-beams from their mouth, kung-fu bulletproof monks (decent ones with massive wicker hats) and all manner of fantasy/kung-fu/action/sci-fi goodies.

It's got an excellent script with cult-quotes aplenty ("Sonofabitch must pay!") and has Russell as the world's worst action-hero.
He means well, and really wants to get involved and save the day - but he sucks. Whether it's opening a door to be faced with 20+ sword-wielding villains ("...we may be trapped") to battling henchmen with lipstick on - he just doesn't quite manage to be as cool as he thinks he is.
It's a mix between The Goonies,Raiders of The Lost Ark,Monkey and The Tic.

Rent it, or if you're a big boy who earns money - buy it.
You wont be disappointed.
"You know what ol' Jack Burton says at a time like this..."
"No, what?"
"...ah....he says...ah hell, just shoot"
Fri 02/05/03 at 21:31
Regular
"I see you"
The Thing is a quality film and it stands nicely in my DVD collection.
Fri 02/05/03 at 14:15
Regular
it is a bit expensive though, for 8 quid you can get a one of john carpenters better efforts - the thing !
Fri 02/05/03 at 14:14
Regular
yeah that film was pretty good, I reckon thats where they got the 'raiden' character for mortal kombat from.
Fri 02/05/03 at 14:12
Regular
"not dead"
The first time I saw this I thought that it was:

a) Serious.
b) Cool.

Damn I was a misguided kid.

When I saw it recently, possibly a couple of years ago, I realised that it was completley taking the pee, yet still very cool.

Those guys with the massive hats!
Fri 02/05/03 at 00:54
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
"Indeeed"
Thu 01/05/03 at 23:55
Regular
I'll give it a gander tomorrow if I get the chance. Oh and if I do buy it and it "licks balls" then I'll come down there and open a can of whoop ass on you.

Now I go sleep.
*Looks down*
Aaaaaaaayyy
Thu 01/05/03 at 23:45
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Nope, she's the vamp from Sex in The City.
He's just a rubbish action-hero, but that's why it rules.

He uses boot-knives to kill a bloke that leans onto him, but then can't move cos the dead bloke is too heavy. Spends most of the climax pinned to the floor shouting for help.

Well worth getting.
Thu 01/05/03 at 23:37
Regular
Is she manish?
Thu 01/05/03 at 23:35
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
He drives a truck called "The Porkchop Express" and refuses to go off with the woman at the end.

"Aren't you even gonna kiss her goodbye?"
"...nah"
Thu 01/05/03 at 23:09
Regular
I haven't.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.