GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Uefa fines Sir Alex Ferguson"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 01/05/03 at 16:18
Regular
Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has been hit with a £4,600 fine by Uefa after he claimed that the draw for the quarter-finals of the Champions League may have been rigged.

The 61-year-old Scot made his claims before the first leg of United's quarter-final clash with Real Madrid before later publicly accepting that he was wrong.

Ferguson questioned the draw in which neither of the three Spanish sides were pitted against each other - the same was true of the three Italian sides in the last eight of European club football's most prestigious competition.

He also claimed that the Red Devils were handed the hardest possible tie to limit their chances of making this season's Old Trafford final on May 28.

The United boss said at the time: "Real Madrid - they have a nice draw, they must have picked it themselves.

"The Spanish or Italian teams don't play each other, how do you think they work that out? They don't want us in the final, that's for sure, but I'm not listening."

A spokesman for Uefa immediately rejected the remarks as "unfortunate and silly", pointing out that Ferguson was questioning the credibility of Austrian FA president Friedrich Stickler, who had made the draw in his role as Uefa's chairman of the competitions committee.

That led Ferguson to concede he was wrong, saying: "I have been assured by Uefa that the draw was fair. I take their word for it, so I was wrong to say what I did."
Sat 03/05/03 at 19:26
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
AfroJoe wrote:
> Uefa are

---

Heh, that was edited.
Fri 02/05/03 at 15:28
Regular
"Long time no see!"
And once again we have a fine imposed on a proffesional which is basically gonna have no effect whatsoever on the 'guillty' party, other than to fill his pockets with an extra bit of 'spare-change'!

He may not be a player, but most managers earn over £20,000-a-week!
When are the Football Associations actually gonna learn, and do something that works?!?!?

I can hardly say I critisise Sir Alex for saying what he said.
After all, what are the odds that Man United and Real Madrid - the 2 biggest teams left in the competition - would meet in the Quarter Finals?!?
And what about the 2 Milan teams? With the way the Semi's are already 'sorted', it seemed that AC and Inter were due to meet before the final - while Juvé would meet the winners of the 'United game...

Hmmmmmm.....!

The FA Cup was clearly fixed though, throughout much of the latter rounds, to help the smaller clubs with less money to gain more by playing against the bigger teams, in the bigger stages of the competition.

I'm still surprised to see he's had nothing to say about that!
Fri 02/05/03 at 15:25
Regular
"Formally:Ev][L~DarK"
Foreman wrote:
> That's about 15000 packets off chewing gum
>
> =D

Oh god.. Life now isn't Complete :)
Thu 01/05/03 at 21:09
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Uefa are
Thu 01/05/03 at 19:46
Regular
"Baros!!!"
That's about 15000 packets off chewing gum

=D
Thu 01/05/03 at 18:39
Regular
Heh, is there even any point?

he could just give them a nice round £5000 and tell them to keep the change!
Thu 01/05/03 at 18:28
Regular
"Puerile Shagging"
The bbc sport site says he was fined £2000, I bet he's got to sell his house now.
Thu 01/05/03 at 16:18
Regular
"Proud PS2+GC Owner"
Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has been hit with a £4,600 fine by Uefa after he claimed that the draw for the quarter-finals of the Champions League may have been rigged.

The 61-year-old Scot made his claims before the first leg of United's quarter-final clash with Real Madrid before later publicly accepting that he was wrong.

Ferguson questioned the draw in which neither of the three Spanish sides were pitted against each other - the same was true of the three Italian sides in the last eight of European club football's most prestigious competition.

He also claimed that the Red Devils were handed the hardest possible tie to limit their chances of making this season's Old Trafford final on May 28.

The United boss said at the time: "Real Madrid - they have a nice draw, they must have picked it themselves.

"The Spanish or Italian teams don't play each other, how do you think they work that out? They don't want us in the final, that's for sure, but I'm not listening."

A spokesman for Uefa immediately rejected the remarks as "unfortunate and silly", pointing out that Ferguson was questioning the credibility of Austrian FA president Friedrich Stickler, who had made the draw in his role as Uefa's chairman of the competitions committee.

That led Ferguson to concede he was wrong, saying: "I have been assured by Uefa that the draw was fair. I take their word for it, so I was wrong to say what I did."

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.