GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Freeola - A Joke?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 01/05/03 at 15:25
Regular
Just read the new report on the Freeola ADSL upgrades, and I had to laugh at some of the stuff said here:

£49.99 for 1MB broadband? Bit expensive isn't it? A certain ISP are doing it for something like £35.99 or 40.99. And the same goes for 2MB. That aside, here's the phrase that made me crack up:

"All these connections come with the speed and power of BT Broadband plus a FREE domain name, a FREE static IP address, UNLIMITED e-mail and FREE web space, so you can easily set up your own website."

A FREE static IP address? Wow, thanks! Every internet connection that I know of has an IP address is standard (and is probably a law that every computer must have an IP address if it connects to the net). And it's static? Wow! Thanks! Static, is not good, SR. Dynamic is what we want :)

Note: I'm not taking the p!ss (well, maybe a little), but just making a point. And no, you're not the only ones - I have sent them E-Mails containing similar content also :)

Noob.
Sun 04/05/03 at 22:22
Regular
"Fruit makes you far"
"You pays your money, you takes your choice!". So, feel free to shop around Noobster.
Fri 02/05/03 at 06:53
Regular
"I am Riki Takeuchi!"
*Runs*

:D
Thu 01/05/03 at 17:45
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Dude static IPs are the don. If you get a static IP from your ISP you're really in luck.

With regards to NTL's "static IPs", most people get static IPs as they only change when your connection resets, and sometimes you just get re-assigned the same one. I used to get static IPs on one of my old dialup ISPs because I was the only one from my area using them so I got the same IP every time (or something like that), and it was fantastically useful. I could disconnect for up to 5 minutes, reconnect, and it's like nothing's even happened. I've been disconnected playing CS and it's just like 45 second lag while I reconnect.
Thu 01/05/03 at 17:10
Regular
"bing bang bong"
phi11ip wrote:
> Oh, NTL give me a static IP too, well I think. I never unplug my modem
> and it's always on so it's basically static.

No, it's dynamic, it'll change once every few weeks or so, or if you reconnect.

N00bst@r is a gimmick account :O((
Thu 01/05/03 at 16:44
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
Tóm wrote:

> It's important to notice this is ADSL, not blueyonder etc.

Damn you. I wanted to make fun of him when he replied to my last post quoting NTL and Blueyonder!

Grrrr.

Oh, NTL give me a static IP too, well I think. I never unplug my modem and it's always on so it's basically static.
Thu 01/05/03 at 16:30
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
And by the way, nearly all ISPs *do* charge extra for the static IP. The domain name is good too.

It's important to notice this is ADSL, not blueyonder etc.
Thu 01/05/03 at 16:28
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
Do you even know what a static IP address is?
Thu 01/05/03 at 16:08
Regular
"Digging!"
Well that was a pointless post
Thu 01/05/03 at 16:06
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Noobst@r wrote:
> A FREE static IP address? Wow, thanks! Every internet connection that
> I know of has an IP address is standard (and is probably a law that
> every computer must have an IP address if it connects to the net). And
> it's static? Wow! Thanks! Static, is not good, SR. Dynamic is what we
> want :)

Not sure why you felt the need to demonstrate you have absolutely no clue what you're talking about. :)
Might be an idea to actually look up what the significance of a static ip address is before you comment on it.
Thu 01/05/03 at 15:47
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
You go and find a 1mb and 2mb ADSL line for the prices you stated...

Bet you can't...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.