GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"ADSL over Two Computers"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 29/04/03 at 19:48
Regular
As of now, I have one PC, one ADSL Modem, going into one filter in the wall socket.

However, soon another PC will be set up in another room for someone else, and I was just wondering if it was as simple as getting another modem for that computer and plugging it into the upstairs landline socket and filter ... or id it a little more complicated than that??

I just want to keep it simple, with no networking and all that if it is possible.

Thanks for any details.
Tue 29/04/03 at 19:48
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
As of now, I have one PC, one ADSL Modem, going into one filter in the wall socket.

However, soon another PC will be set up in another room for someone else, and I was just wondering if it was as simple as getting another modem for that computer and plugging it into the upstairs landline socket and filter ... or id it a little more complicated than that??

I just want to keep it simple, with no networking and all that if it is possible.

Thanks for any details.
Tue 29/04/03 at 20:17
Regular
"bing bang bong"
er

Won't that be rather expensive?
Tue 29/04/03 at 20:20
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
More expensive, I expect so :)

But this computer is coming with me eventually, so it'll need a seperate modem anyway.

I'm just interested to know if two modems work ok in two different wall sockets?
Tue 29/04/03 at 22:17
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Don't see why not. The only difficulties you might run into are if both modems are plugged in at the same time, but I don't know much about the nuances of ADSL having only set it up once in my life.
Tue 29/04/03 at 22:44
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
No 2 ADSL modems will not work at once. And can not be connected on the same line together.

All you need is to get yourself 2 network cards. One in your machine with the modem and one in your new machine. Set your connection to use ICS(Internet connection sharing) and thats it. Might have to fiddle around with Firewalls etc as my friend came over with his laptop so we tried it but my firewall blocked his IP. I use ICS to connect XBox Live up.

Only problem with this is that the computer with the ADSL modem will have to be on for the other computer to use the connection.

If you want them to share the connection but not both be on at the same time then get yourself a Router. This replaces your ADSL modem, but then you have an always on connection and both computers can use the internet at the same time or independantly. You will still need to have 2 network cards as the Router uses these to connect to the computer. This way is more expensive as you have to shell out £100 on a good Router but you do get more freedom.
Tue 29/04/03 at 23:45
Regular
Hmm i knew it when i told my parents once we get a new comp this old one can't use the net aswell.. only if i get a 56k modem getting it to work on a network would be too expensive.
If you have the money its a good idea.
Tue 29/04/03 at 23:51
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
§niper wrote:
> Hmm i knew it when i told my parents once we get a new comp this old
> one can't use the net aswell.. only if i get a 56k modem getting it to
> work on a network would be too expensive.
> If you have the money its a good idea.

Not using 2 ADSL modems you cant. You could if the computers using it never used it at the same time, and the modem was not turned on. As ADSL modems need to sync only one device is allowed on one line. Best bet is to use ICS between the computers as a cheap solution or go for a Router if you have the money.
Wed 30/04/03 at 10:32
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
§niper wrote:
> If you have the money its a good idea.

I only come in here every now and then and vary rarely post but do read alot of the threads. Last time I looked you were in the process of spending out approx £1200 on all new computer components.

For the sake of another 20 quid you could have your old PC hooked upto your all singing all dancing PC!

Either that or I've missed a thread somewhere which says it was all a joke and your sticking with your old PC??
Wed 30/04/03 at 19:26
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
I think Sniper's got some cash from his parents and is running his budget right to the wire like I did.
Wed 30/04/03 at 22:09
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
Well I'd suggest he does a paper round for a week and then use that cash for the network cards ;)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.