GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Msn Messenger"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 27/04/03 at 20:15
Regular
Ahh this is driving me crazy!

I have got Windows XP Pro (has its firewall), and a network ethenet connection which has its firewall), Norton Personal Firewall 2003 (firewall *duh*) I am not sure if it is UCNp (something) compatitble. I am sure it has to do with something like the TCP and the UDP ports. something like the firewall in XP or whatever does not allow certain ports to open when needed which allows:

Allows:
Voice Conversation,
File transfer,
Whiteboard
or camera
On MSN Messenger 5.0
I can IM normally but none of the above can be done. My Network connection card is realtek. COuld someone provide me with some step by step instructions to get the things to work. If any other details are required please ask. Many thanks
Wed 30/04/03 at 21:06
Regular
"poo poo for you!"
so i would need to be on the router settings?
Mon 28/04/03 at 11:56
Regular
"bing bang bong"
You will need to forward those incoming connections on your router to your PC. Don't ask us how, it will be in your router documentation.
Mon 28/04/03 at 11:55
Regular
"bing bang bong"
From http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx? scid=kb;en-us;278887

"To enable voice communications, make sure that outgoing TCP connections from port 6901 are enabled. Also enable UDP packets where either the source or the destination port is 6901.

"To enable file transfers, enable both incoming and outgoing TCP connections to the 6891-6900 range of TCP ports. This allows each sender to perform up to 10 simultaneous file transfers. Note that if only TCP port 6891 is open, users are only able to perform one file transfer at a time.

"To enable messaging, enable outgoing TCP connections to TCP port 1863."
Mon 28/04/03 at 11:03
Regular
"poo poo for you!"
router
Sun 27/04/03 at 23:20
Regular
"How Handy."
The port that Messenger uses needs to be forwarded, what do you use to connect to the internet? A router or a PC with the internet and sharing on?
Sun 27/04/03 at 22:54
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Er you can't disable NAT.. else you'll have no Internet connection...

How exactly is your network set up?
Sun 27/04/03 at 22:04
Regular
"poo poo for you!"
lol NAT is disabled,
Norton is uninstalled,
Hub firewall disabled,
XP default firewall is also disabled

yet nothing works!
Sun 27/04/03 at 21:20
Regular
Turn off the XP firewall... and get rid of the norton firewall and go get Sygate Personal firewall from sygate.com.. nuff said
Sun 27/04/03 at 21:16
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
You can't do them BECAUSE you have all these useless firewalls. Your only hope is to find out which ports they require to be open and open them.
Sun 27/04/03 at 20:15
Regular
"poo poo for you!"
Ahh this is driving me crazy!

I have got Windows XP Pro (has its firewall), and a network ethenet connection which has its firewall), Norton Personal Firewall 2003 (firewall *duh*) I am not sure if it is UCNp (something) compatitble. I am sure it has to do with something like the TCP and the UDP ports. something like the firewall in XP or whatever does not allow certain ports to open when needed which allows:

Allows:
Voice Conversation,
File transfer,
Whiteboard
or camera
On MSN Messenger 5.0
I can IM normally but none of the above can be done. My Network connection card is realtek. COuld someone provide me with some step by step instructions to get the things to work. If any other details are required please ask. Many thanks

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.