GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"help needed..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 27/04/03 at 18:09
Regular
Currently stuck on some coursework, i have to explain these common terms/components and these are the ones im stuck on, i have a few ideas about them, but i dont know how to explain them, and also not 100% sure what they do:

Scan frequency
Colour mode (bits)
RJ series (a type of connector?)
DB series (a type of connector?)
DIP, DIL switches
BNC
Coaxial

thanks for any help.
Sun 27/04/03 at 18:27
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Coax is television aerial wire.

BNC is a type of network interconnect - you usually put it on coax but you can make a BNC network from just about anything.

Colour mode is how many colours you're displaying, in bits. It kinda goes like this:

2bit is 2 to the power 2, eg. 4 colours (white, black, green, red usually).
16bit is 2 to the power 16, eg. 65,536 colours.
24bit (which is what most monitors run at) is 2 to the power 24, eg. 16,777,216 colours.

Incidentally, at 24bit there are 256 levels for each channel of red/green/blue - 0-255. 255 is bright, 0 is off. You know about this right?
It's 256 because 2^8 is 256, and 24/3 (3 channels) is 8.

There's also 32bit, which is red, green, blue and "alpha". Alpha is transparency - a transparency level. Windows make us think monitors run at 32bit but they lie.
Sun 27/04/03 at 18:21
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
www.webopaedia.com

Every computer term ever lister there.
Sun 27/04/03 at 18:11
Regular
sorry, just found out that the COAXIAL is a type of lead made with a solid central conductor surrounded by insulator and the BNC is the type of connector for the COAXIAL cable.
Sun 27/04/03 at 18:09
Regular
Currently stuck on some coursework, i have to explain these common terms/components and these are the ones im stuck on, i have a few ideas about them, but i dont know how to explain them, and also not 100% sure what they do:

Scan frequency
Colour mode (bits)
RJ series (a type of connector?)
DB series (a type of connector?)
DIP, DIL switches
BNC
Coaxial

thanks for any help.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.