GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Cube 2: Hypercube"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 27/04/03 at 10:40
Regular
I was quite shocked to discover that a sequel to the excellent Cube had been made. Upon investigation, I discovered that I couldn't find a single positive opinion of this film. I had to see it for myself to find out whether or not it's as bad as the critics and fans alike say. Here's my review of Cube 2: Hypercube.

Plot: The same as the first one - eight people wake up in a cube and have no idea how they get there. Can they make it out alive in this advanced hypercube, a four-dimentional object that disobeys the laws of science and nature. Can they unravel the secrets of the hypercube?

Notes: The cube now looks very different, totally white and the actual structure of it is different (as you find out during the film, which leads to their downfall). I don't really know if I prefer the actual cube itself to the original, but it does look pretty good. One of my few complaints was that a lot was the same - they also tried to use a mathematical formula to crack the cube (although this time it didn't work the same way) and we had a psycho in this cube, reminiscent of Quentin in the first film. In a word, it's close to a carbon copy of the first film. The deaths scenes were (opposite to many sequels) a lot less elaborate. The death scenes were unimaginative and totally forgetabble bar one or two and the storyline was not particularly improved upon to maintain originality. Given the ending of the second film, there very well may be a third film to explain the Izon Corporation.

Cast & Directing: None of the cast members are recognisable for anything particularly decent (no, not even Neil Crone :P) and the directors and scriptwriters are different from the first film (well there's a surprise :). Best actor here was certainly Grace Lynn Kung.

Best bit: A small floating Cube grinds one of the men up. Pity that because of the hypercube's many dimentions, he spawns back again almost immidiately. The floating sex scene weren't bad either :P

Ending: No better than the first. But at least we know what happens when someone exits the cube and what happens to them. No surprises though really. Let's just say that Helen from the first film was right.

Opinion: This film is not as bad as the critics say. I could actually say I enjoyed the drama side of it, but some of it seemed to drag on a bit and the dimentions storyline started getting very repetitive very quickly.

Official Site: http://www.cube2themovie.com/

Rating: 8/10

Noobster
Tue 29/04/03 at 07:01
Regular
"I am Riki Takeuchi!"
The first one ruled! Damn you to hell!
Mon 28/04/03 at 20:47
Regular
"I see you"
Both films really sucked big style and i can't believe they made a sequel.
Sun 27/04/03 at 20:49
Regular
"I am Riki Takeuchi!"
Mouldy Cheese wrote:
> They screwed it up so badly.
>
> Cube had the cool psycological Lord Of The Flies stuff which made it
> so good. Cube 2 didn't do any of that - that bloke just went crazy and
> started killing people.
>
> What, exactly, happened to the woman in the red dress? What did she
> actually do in the film?

She had floating sex with Max (the computer programmer) in a weird floating room and then they just turned to bones :| (probably because of the many dimentions, like the psycho who gets really old at the end).

But how was it possible for anyone to figure out when the cube would implode!? And what's the point of it? Due to the failed logic, it was a sequel better left untouched...
Sun 27/04/03 at 12:01
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
I really liked Cube, and when I was in Blockbuster with a mate was quite surprised to see Cube 2 was out! Well we had to watch it and.... Wasn't really half as good as the first one I thought! Not nearly as well thought out. They just figured "What else can we do with a cube?" and just stuck a bunch of silly ideas together without really thinking about what they were doing. This film could have been really good and mysterious like the first film, but instead NO!

My opinion: Dissapointed and think it was a wasted opportunity!

:)
Sun 27/04/03 at 11:52
Regular
"I am Bumf Ucked"
They screwed it up so badly.

Cube had the cool psycological Lord Of The Flies stuff which made it so good. Cube 2 didn't do any of that - that bloke just went crazy and started killing people.

What, exactly, happened to the woman in the red dress? What did she actually do in the film?
Sun 27/04/03 at 10:52
Regular
"I am Riki Takeuchi!"
the_aoe_slaught wrote:
> EH??? Do my eyes decieve me... or did a n00b just post something half
> decent?

Thank ye :)

And I really hope they don't make a third one. The first one ended well on a cliffhanger. What do you think happened to Kazan? I think that because of his autism (he couldn'tve told anyone about the cube), he wouldnt've been killed by the *ahem* and would be set free. What about you lot?
Sun 27/04/03 at 10:45
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
I thought it was awful, just banking on the success of the first movie. And the ending sucked, no mystery about it at all, just a cop out. The first one rules.
Sun 27/04/03 at 10:43
Regular
"\\"
EH??? Do my eyes decieve me... or did a n00b just post something half decent?
Sun 27/04/03 at 10:40
Regular
"I am Riki Takeuchi!"
I was quite shocked to discover that a sequel to the excellent Cube had been made. Upon investigation, I discovered that I couldn't find a single positive opinion of this film. I had to see it for myself to find out whether or not it's as bad as the critics and fans alike say. Here's my review of Cube 2: Hypercube.

Plot: The same as the first one - eight people wake up in a cube and have no idea how they get there. Can they make it out alive in this advanced hypercube, a four-dimentional object that disobeys the laws of science and nature. Can they unravel the secrets of the hypercube?

Notes: The cube now looks very different, totally white and the actual structure of it is different (as you find out during the film, which leads to their downfall). I don't really know if I prefer the actual cube itself to the original, but it does look pretty good. One of my few complaints was that a lot was the same - they also tried to use a mathematical formula to crack the cube (although this time it didn't work the same way) and we had a psycho in this cube, reminiscent of Quentin in the first film. In a word, it's close to a carbon copy of the first film. The deaths scenes were (opposite to many sequels) a lot less elaborate. The death scenes were unimaginative and totally forgetabble bar one or two and the storyline was not particularly improved upon to maintain originality. Given the ending of the second film, there very well may be a third film to explain the Izon Corporation.

Cast & Directing: None of the cast members are recognisable for anything particularly decent (no, not even Neil Crone :P) and the directors and scriptwriters are different from the first film (well there's a surprise :). Best actor here was certainly Grace Lynn Kung.

Best bit: A small floating Cube grinds one of the men up. Pity that because of the hypercube's many dimentions, he spawns back again almost immidiately. The floating sex scene weren't bad either :P

Ending: No better than the first. But at least we know what happens when someone exits the cube and what happens to them. No surprises though really. Let's just say that Helen from the first film was right.

Opinion: This film is not as bad as the critics say. I could actually say I enjoyed the drama side of it, but some of it seemed to drag on a bit and the dimentions storyline started getting very repetitive very quickly.

Official Site: http://www.cube2themovie.com/

Rating: 8/10

Noobster

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.