GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"House Of 1000 Corpses"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 26/04/03 at 11:39
Regular
I heard about this film a while ago and when I heard it was directed by Rob Zombie (the self-professed "biggest fan of horror ever"), I thought I'd have a look and see what his directing skills are like. Here's my review of House Of 1000 Corpses.

Plot: After their car conks out in a desolate wasteland (during a storm) whilst looking for the legend of Dr. Satan, two couples find refuge in an abandoned house. As luck would have it, this would be a very bad idea. Inside is a family that commit canabalistic, sacrificial and down-right sadistic acts. Can they make it out alive from the house of 1000 corpses?

Notes: Firstly, there are many similarities to Texas Chainsaw Massacre in that: a) the group of people are the same stereotype and b) it takes place in the same sort of house with a crazed family of maniacs. At least Zombie didn't remake TCM to a T. Zombie was also forced to edit a lot (17 minutes) out for the theatrical release, but will be in its entirety on the DVD release. A lot of the film is pretty disturbing, with its great deal of nudity and gore but it seemed a lot like it should've been filmed 25 years ago (partially because the storyline is set 25 years ago).

Cast & Directing: The cast is basically full of nobodies, except an appearance from Bill Moseley. The directing by Zombie is very unique, in that a lot of it is filmed as though it's a TV show, with little bits in between the carnage that don't quite make sense.

Best bit: Two policemen and one of the people's fathers comes to the house and as two are shot, the last policeman is held at gunpoint whilst we see the longest dramatic pause in the history of films (almost a minute long) before his brains are blown out.

Ending: Pure cack. I'm sure that it wasn't the ending Zombie originally wanted.

Opinion: This film is total pap. The directing is unique, but looks somewhat shoddy. It's hardly as controversial as the critics have said and I very promptly have deleted this off of my C:...er...I mean, my memory :D

Official Site: http://www.houseof1000corpses.com/

Rating: 4/10 (only because of the underground fight at the end with Dr. Satan and the hilarious cop shootout).

Noobster
Sat 26/04/03 at 21:23
Regular
I really enjoyed this actually, not sure why it was turned down by so many film studios for being controversial. There was very little gore.

It's nice and cheesy and there's lot of tongue in cheek humour in it. Granted it won't appeal to normal film goers, but big Horror fans (like myself) will get a kick out of it. It's good to see a Horror film come out of Hollywood that doesn't have a teeny bopper cast and isn't a straight forward slasher borefest.

I'd give it 7/10, 8/10 if there's an uncut print released at some point.
Sat 26/04/03 at 11:39
Regular
"I am Riki Takeuchi!"
I heard about this film a while ago and when I heard it was directed by Rob Zombie (the self-professed "biggest fan of horror ever"), I thought I'd have a look and see what his directing skills are like. Here's my review of House Of 1000 Corpses.

Plot: After their car conks out in a desolate wasteland (during a storm) whilst looking for the legend of Dr. Satan, two couples find refuge in an abandoned house. As luck would have it, this would be a very bad idea. Inside is a family that commit canabalistic, sacrificial and down-right sadistic acts. Can they make it out alive from the house of 1000 corpses?

Notes: Firstly, there are many similarities to Texas Chainsaw Massacre in that: a) the group of people are the same stereotype and b) it takes place in the same sort of house with a crazed family of maniacs. At least Zombie didn't remake TCM to a T. Zombie was also forced to edit a lot (17 minutes) out for the theatrical release, but will be in its entirety on the DVD release. A lot of the film is pretty disturbing, with its great deal of nudity and gore but it seemed a lot like it should've been filmed 25 years ago (partially because the storyline is set 25 years ago).

Cast & Directing: The cast is basically full of nobodies, except an appearance from Bill Moseley. The directing by Zombie is very unique, in that a lot of it is filmed as though it's a TV show, with little bits in between the carnage that don't quite make sense.

Best bit: Two policemen and one of the people's fathers comes to the house and as two are shot, the last policeman is held at gunpoint whilst we see the longest dramatic pause in the history of films (almost a minute long) before his brains are blown out.

Ending: Pure cack. I'm sure that it wasn't the ending Zombie originally wanted.

Opinion: This film is total pap. The directing is unique, but looks somewhat shoddy. It's hardly as controversial as the critics have said and I very promptly have deleted this off of my C:...er...I mean, my memory :D

Official Site: http://www.houseof1000corpses.com/

Rating: 4/10 (only because of the underground fight at the end with Dr. Satan and the hilarious cop shootout).

Noobster

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.