GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Spirited Away"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 25/04/03 at 17:20
Regular
Those in the know may have already seen this and may even own the new region 1 dvd so well done, but for those who don’t know, you may not be aware of the excellent press this film has got and is still getting.
Coming from the genius mind of Hayao Miyazaki, described as the greatest living animation storyteller, and made by the renowned Studio Ghibli, Spirited Away is only the start of more great Ghibli anime coming to dvd due to a deal with Disney (Kiki’s Delivery Service and Castle in the Sky were released on disc the same day and are both first rate carefree films and highly recommended).

I won’t go too much into plot details of Spirited Away as it’s best left for the viewer to enjoy, but it’s mainly about a young girl who gets trapped in a weird and fantastical world of spirits, and she gets into a wondrous journey of inner strength, courage and discovery. It has some of the finest animation I’ve ever seen and one of the most imaginative worlds created together with a beautiful soundtrack. It's a pleasure to watch.

Anime is often scoffed at by some as they tend to mock what they don’t understand, but with an Oscar win under its belt, the great Spirited Away may actually get a bit of attention here, despite still not having an official cinema release date yet, but thank god for region 1 dvds. It still surprises me how poorly great films like these are treated in the UK, even when Disney crap and much worse animation gets released every month in cinemas.

Give it a look, even if you’re not an anime fan, because it shouldn't matter to people whether a film is animated or not, it's the stories that are the most important thing.

(More info about the film can be found at http://www.nausicaa.net/)
Fri 25/04/03 at 17:20
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
Those in the know may have already seen this and may even own the new region 1 dvd so well done, but for those who don’t know, you may not be aware of the excellent press this film has got and is still getting.
Coming from the genius mind of Hayao Miyazaki, described as the greatest living animation storyteller, and made by the renowned Studio Ghibli, Spirited Away is only the start of more great Ghibli anime coming to dvd due to a deal with Disney (Kiki’s Delivery Service and Castle in the Sky were released on disc the same day and are both first rate carefree films and highly recommended).

I won’t go too much into plot details of Spirited Away as it’s best left for the viewer to enjoy, but it’s mainly about a young girl who gets trapped in a weird and fantastical world of spirits, and she gets into a wondrous journey of inner strength, courage and discovery. It has some of the finest animation I’ve ever seen and one of the most imaginative worlds created together with a beautiful soundtrack. It's a pleasure to watch.

Anime is often scoffed at by some as they tend to mock what they don’t understand, but with an Oscar win under its belt, the great Spirited Away may actually get a bit of attention here, despite still not having an official cinema release date yet, but thank god for region 1 dvds. It still surprises me how poorly great films like these are treated in the UK, even when Disney crap and much worse animation gets released every month in cinemas.

Give it a look, even if you’re not an anime fan, because it shouldn't matter to people whether a film is animated or not, it's the stories that are the most important thing.

(More info about the film can be found at http://www.nausicaa.net/)
Sun 27/04/03 at 14:16
Regular
"I'm Great."
I've heard about it. Different to what most people would expect from Anime as I'm guessing that there are pretty much no big, giant robots, sex or lots of blood. Metropolis didn't really have any of those thing in it (a few robots yes but not the usual sort) but I still enjoyed it. Might look in to Spitited Away if I have enough spare cash.
Tue 29/04/03 at 09:54
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
It's a quality film, as critics and experts worldwide would agree, so if you like anime (or even if you don't), it's worth checking out due to it's loveable charm and storytelling.

There is that sad misconception that all anime is either zany oddities, giant robots or overly violent in some form or another, but Spirited Away, and all the other Studio Ghibli films, is a prime example of non-violent anime that features magical storytelling combined with gorgeous animation.
It's a shame that despite being released in cinemas in Japan back in 2001, USA last year, Poland, Slovakia and a whole host of small European countries, it's yet to see the light of day over here.
Tue 29/04/03 at 19:14
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
Grave Of The Fireflies also, only Region 1 so far, but it to is different from what you'd expect and concentrates on something we'd much rather lock up in the history cupboard and be forgotten...
Sat 03/05/03 at 14:23
Regular
I still haven't got the three Ghibli's yet. I am a little concerned about Laputa, the old dub was so good and I'm not too keen on this new one. Patzu doesn't even sound like a kid anymore.

I don't know how Cid Vilante could say that, most animes on TV have none of that. Pokemon, Digimon, Flint The Time Detective, Hello Kitty, Cardcaptors, Sailor Moon, Dragonball Z, Dragonball GT, Yu Gi Oh, Shin Chan blah blah blah.

Gundam Wing has giant robots, Cowboy Bebop has some blood splatters, Outlaw Star has it's fanservice so I guess that could still go in above, Nadesico had it's giant robots, Burn Up Excess has some blood.

You can get Castle in the Sky (Laputa), Spirited Away and Kiki's Delivery Service on Play.com for £15.99 each free delivery 24 hour despatch. I would suggest Castle in the Sky and Spirited Away. Kiki's Delivery Service is more for girls but if you can appreciate a great movie you'll love it too.
Sat 03/05/03 at 14:53
Regular
"I'm Great."
Just said what the outside world would think of when they hear the word "Anime" not what was on T.V. I know that not all are filled with what I said that most people think of and I do enjoy both those that are and aren't if they're good overall. I may of misinterpreted your post and if so, my bad.

Overall. Most Anime good whether it has blood, sex or big robots or not. Some not so good. All depends on overall viewing pleasures. In general, I like Anime.

(Not too sure on the real point of my post but I'm just not really with it most of the time).

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.