GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"SW Galaxies and WoW monthly costs?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'World of Warcraft'.
Mon 18/07/05 at 22:38
Regular
"Its all me,me,me,me"
Does anybody know the initial subscription fees and monthly charges for these two games? Trying to decide which one to get but its probabbly going to come down to price...
Sun 24/07/05 at 12:43
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
I used to defend SW Galaxies when people spoke of how boring it all becomes, I loved it initially.
But I just got fed up with the constant patches and updates changing the core gaming experience - halfway through my Jedi trials, almost reaching Padewan status and they change the criteria throwing me back to zero and wasting almost 3 weeks of constant grinding.
I loved visiting the places from the movies, but once you've done that then there's not really that much to do. Just vast swathes of open areas with nobody in.
All I did for weeks was get buffed at Coruscant, go to Endor and spend 2hrs shooting things from lairs to try and reach 750,000 xp points to fill another skill box.
But there's no reward for doing that, no real ultimate point to it.
Just endlessly grinding for no reason.

WoW however is stunning in every regard. Been playing for months and still haven't got bored of it. Or explored more than 40% of the worlds.
Fri 22/07/05 at 20:21
Regular
"gsybe you!"
WoW is the best thing i've ever played, and I've played it for months and I still think it.
Wed 20/07/05 at 23:07
Regular
> So does WoW suffer from lag at all?

Only really in the centers of the 2 major towns. It's not SW's galaxy lag though. It stops for 5 seconds or so and then everything runs smoothly again.

Because at the moment thats the
> WoW looks like an online version
> of morrowind. Is it fair to say thats an acurate statement or does it
> play alot differently?

Wouldn't know as I haven't played morrowind. It plays more like 3rd person adventure including rpg elements.

> I would to some extent agree with the
> statement about galaxies having bland enviroments however I've only
> been on Tatooine so far and am looking forward to venturing out to
> the film locations.

There are a few nice looking environments on Galaxies however they lack features (I'm looking for the word. I'm just having a blank =P).

> Think its also true to say you have to put alot of effort into the
> game in order to level up an interesting character...

To be honest I can't remember too much the character side of things.

Overall, I believe SW's Galaxies has only done as well as it has due to it being Star Wars.
Wed 20/07/05 at 22:48
Regular
"Its all me,me,me,me"
cipro wrote:
> I remember Star Wars Galaxies, it's pretty naff. Starts off well,
> until you realise the actual pursuit of gaining experience points is
> long, dull and not really worth it. The secondary professions are
> quite rubbish while your forced to actually teach others your skills
> before you can master them, leading to many hours stood outside
> starports spamming general chat waiting for someone to come along so
> you can teach.
>
> The environments are possibly some of the most barren, lifeless
> places I've ever visited in a game, nothing but miles of open terrain
> occasionally housing the odd user created city, always empty. The
> quests are repetitive to the extreme, dungeons are mostly not
> instances so you have to share them with several other groups, actual
> progress is far from rewarding, only offering you slight enhancements
> to abilities rather than several new ones, and the Jedi system has
> gone through so many changes it's impossible to grind to a Jedi
> without the entire system being scraped and completely changed,
> erasing all your efforts.
>
> It has nothing on World of Warcraft, which even after months of solid
> play I have yet to tire of. If only Blizzard had developed Galaxies,
> perhaps then it wouldn’t have felt like such a wasted opportunity it
> is now.

So does WoW suffer from lag at all? Because at the moment thats the only complaint I have with galaxies. WoW looks like an online version of morrowind. Is it fair to say thats an acurate statement or does it play alot differently? I would to some extent agree with the statement about galaxies having bland enviroments however I've only been on Tatooine so far and am looking forward to venturing out to the film locations.

Think its also true to say you have to put alot of effort into the game in order to level up an interesting character...
Wed 20/07/05 at 12:35
Regular
"A man with a stick"
I remember Star Wars Galaxies, it's pretty naff. Starts off well, until you realise the actual pursuit of gaining experience points is long, dull and not really worth it. The secondary professions are quite rubbish while your forced to actually teach others your skills before you can master them, leading to many hours stood outside starports spamming general chat waiting for someone to come along so you can teach.

The environments are possibly some of the most barren, lifeless places I've ever visited in a game, nothing but miles of open terrain occasionally housing the odd user created city, always empty. The quests are repetitive to the extreme, dungeons are mostly not instances so you have to share them with several other groups, actual progress is far from rewarding, only offering you slight enhancements to abilities rather than several new ones, and the Jedi system has gone through so many changes it's impossible to grind to a Jedi without the entire system being scraped and completely changed, erasing all your efforts.

It has nothing on World of Warcraft, which even after months of solid play I have yet to tire of. If only Blizzard had developed Galaxies, perhaps then it wouldn’t have felt like such a wasted opportunity it is now.
Wed 20/07/05 at 00:42
Regular
I played the 2 week trial of this and it really doesn't even scratch the brilliance of WoW.
Wed 20/07/05 at 00:37
Regular
"Its all me,me,me,me"
Pandaemonium wrote:
> If you go for star war galaxies, be aware that it's supposedly not too
> much fun and a huge grind. It may be cheaper than WoW (I don't know),
> but you'll be be getting an inferior product.

Ok I got SW galaxies the total experiance for £10 and have started playing it today. So far it is great fun. Ive started leveling up a character and already have gone off and formed a party, bought two ships and started exploring tatooine. It really is a great turn on and emmerse game. The more experiance players dont seem to be too grouchy either and all that I have spoken to have othered straight up advice and help with little to no use of the word noob.

Only complaint so far is the amount of lag in built up areas or key sights that aquire alot of players. At times its taken a good 5 minutes for the screen to calm down and move freely again. Not sure if this is just my out of date broadband, heavy server usage or just a game flaw.

So far however I have definately got value for money and would reccomend highly to anyone looking to go online with their pc games...
Tue 19/07/05 at 08:59
Regular
Hedfix wrote:
> Yes, you save a whole £2!!!111 :D

£2 better off in my pocket though.
Tue 19/07/05 at 07:12
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
If you go for star war galaxies, be aware that it's supposedly not too much fun and a huge grind. It may be cheaper than WoW (I don't know), but you'll be be getting an inferior product.
Tue 19/07/05 at 07:07
Regular
"8==="
Yes, you save a whole £2!!!111 :D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.