GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Barthez past it?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 24/04/03 at 12:49
Regular
The answer to that question, to me, is no because he was never on it. Countless matches i've seen him mess up, give him his due, he has his moments, probably one of the best at saving penalties, but he just messes up to much. I can't understand why the richest team in the world wont get a decent keeper. Well there making three big purchases this season, one of them being Ronaldinho(aparently) wahey, but lets just hope they get a new keeper, and if they do who sould it be, well i would say Toldo, there's always Buffon but he does'nt seem to be on his best form of late, and of course Oliver Kahn the greatest keeper in the world at the moment, but lets face it he's getting on a bit.
Post coments on which keeper you would like to see playing for Man Utd, or do think Barthez is good enough, comments please.
Fri 25/04/03 at 14:47
Foreman wrote:

> Buffon seems a great goalkeeper for Man United, but I can't see
> Ferguson splasing out £25M+ for a Goalkeeper.

I can't see Buffon going to Man Utd anyway.
Fri 25/04/03 at 14:39
Regular
Shibby Git wrote:
> I supose what it was is that Barthez was to take the role of keeper,
> not long after, probably Man Utd's best keeper of yet Peter
> Schmeichael.

HAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHA AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA AAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

What a poor excuse. They had Van der Gouw, Taibi, Mark "crack-addict" Bosnich in the interim!
Fri 25/04/03 at 12:56
"Uzi Lover"
"David Beckham is set to join Real Madrid for between £30million and £38m at the end of the season, according to reports.

The Sun says Manchester United are preparing a £6m bid for Leeds' Harry Kewell, while the Daily Star claims United want to sign West Ham's Jermain Defoe.

The Express reports Leeds goalkeeper Paul Robinson is yet another United target.

The Mirror, meanwhile, believes PSV Eindhoven's Dennis Rommedahl could be heading to Old Trafford in a £5m deal."

From Ananova.com
Fri 25/04/03 at 12:53
Regular
"Wots your boggle"
I supose what it was is that Barthez was to take the role of keeper, not long after, probably Man Utd's best keeper of yet Peter Schmeichael. I do have to admit scince last season Barthez has started making less mistakes, but if or when he does go who whould be better to take his place Roy Carrol or Ricardo?
Fri 25/04/03 at 07:59
Regular
"Baros!!!"
Kahn WAS the best Goalkeeper in the wrold, but I think others have overtaken him now.

Buffon seems a great goalkeeper for Man United, but I can't see Ferguson splasing out £25M+ for a Goalkeeper.
Fri 25/04/03 at 00:45
Regular
If you scroll back a couple of years on this sports section, you will find that Barthez was my previous Pascal Cygan. Unlike Cygan however he actually had some skill in the first place. Barthez is certainly not past it (and this is from a chelsea fan!) he is playing the best he has for united. The main problem was he was bought with the expectation by united fans that he would be the best keeper in the world, when in act he never was. Man utd fans assumed world cup winners means all there players are the best, this was not the case with barthez. The fact is for the last 8 or so years barthez has had it on easy street with internationals. He had Lizarazu, Desailly, Lebeouf (when he was good), Blanc (when he was good) and Thuram which is undeniably the best defence any national team in the 1990s produced sitting in front of him gaurding the posts. the fact that the particularly crap bernard lama didn't have that bad a record is proof enough....and he was coked out of his brain most of the time! lol. And then had viera shielding the defence and a certain zidane keeping posession in midfied

Barthez has never been anywhere near the worlds best keep, but is defintiely good enough for a top team. Replacing him should by no means be a priority for united as he is competent enough. The players who need to go are Forlan and Blanc who are nowhere near uniteds standard. Brown also needs to be sold i think, as he will fetch a high price and a more reliable (injuries) replacement could be brought in as i don't think his luck will improve much, and all this juggling of the back two is not good for a team. I'd also consider having away with, he was the force of man utd's midfield and although he is recovering from injury i'm not sure he will ever be the same. The ireland saga, the haaland case, vicitimistion from the media and bad luck with injuries maybe taking there toll and it might be worth cashing in whilst clubs are still willing to risk a large amount of money om him, and also has the advantage of stopping a 5million pound a year wage leaking out of the club. If there seriously is 38 mill on the table there is no way they should keep beckham as football won't see that kind of money again for a few more years..
Thu 24/04/03 at 20:28
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Moments of greatness don't justify a place in the first eleven of one of the biggest clubs in the world. Consistent greatness does.

For me, Barthez is simply too inconsistent for the job. Every keeper makes mistakes, but some make more mistakes than others - and more importantly - will continue to do so for the rest of their careers. It's just in their nature.

Barthez is always going to make mistakes. David james is always going to have a howler from time to time. As will Richard Wright by the looks of things. These keepers are world class keepers only when they are on form.

Keepers like Seaman, Robinson, etc have that bit of extra consistency which is (or should be) required at the top level. Utd should buy someone like that.
Thu 24/04/03 at 16:01
Regular
"Long time no see!"
And some would even go as far as to sat the even Sir Alex, himself, is "past it"...

Well, untill we scored 4 past Liverpool, 6 against Newcastle, and clearly shouldn't taken all-three points from the Arsénal game!
Thu 24/04/03 at 15:56
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
Ferguson doesn't seem fussed that half the team is past it. Keane most obviously looks a shadow of his former self. Veron hasn't done anything all season either, yet still gets a regular game.
Thu 24/04/03 at 14:50
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
Solskjær wrote:
> untill Roy Carroll gains some more experience...

and learn how to kick straight!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.