GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"West Ham turn to Brooking"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 24/04/03 at 12:44
Regular
Information from NTL:world

West Ham United legend Trevor Brooking has been appointed caretaker manager of his beloved Hammers for their last three crucial games of the season as they bid to beat the drop to Division One.

Brooking, who has been asssociated with the club since 1965 and is a member of the Upton Park board, has agreed to step in for manager Glenn Roeder.

Roeder remains in a stable condition in the Royal London Hospital in Whitechapel after being taken ill following Monday's 1-0 win over Middlesbrough. He has been diagnosed with a blockage of a blood vessel in his brain.

Brooking is quoted as telling the official West Ham website: "This seems to be the most sensible solution to preserve the continuity that Glenn and his back-room team have put into place.

"We aim to keep the momentum going that everyone has achieved over the last eight matches when 15 points have been gained."

West Ham are four points adrift of the relative safety of 17th-placed Bolton Wanderers with just three more Premiership matches to go.

And, reallistically, they have to win all of their remaining games to stand any chance of preserving their top-flight status

The Hammers face Manchester City at Maine Road on Sunday before entertaining Champions League-chasing Chelsea the following Saturday. And they go to Birmingham City on the final day of the league season.

A statement from West Ham said: "Due to the illness suffered by Glenn Roeder following our game against Middlesbrough on Monday, Trevor Brooking CBE has agreed to act as caretaker manager for the remainder of the season.

"All of the existing coaching staff will remain in their current positions, and are fully supportive of both this temporary appointment and the club's determination to finish the season above the relegation zone.

"Trevor, the board and everyone at West Ham United continue to send their best wishes of support to Glenn and his family, and look forward to welcoming him back as soon as he is fit and well again."

Former Hammers striker Tony Cottee has backed Brooking's appointment, believing that it was right to choose a short-term replacement for Roeder from within.

Cottee said: "It's a positive move by the board. Appointing Trevor Brooking is a very good step for the club. He's a figurehead here and is well-respected by the fans.

"He's seen every game this season as a director and in terms of training he's not going to go along and tell the coaching staff what to do.

"They will be putting on the sessions still and Trevor will be helping and liaising with them. For the players it's good to know that someone is in charge, and they will know that Trevor will be in charge and he will be picking the team.

"Will Brooking bring Paolo di Canio back into the team? Paolo's a matchwinner and I would love to see him involved at some stage, West Ham need someone to help get them the points to stay up.

"Trevor has been asked to help out in the short term and to give what he's always given, and that's 100 per cent commitment.

"The club have got to see how Glenn Roeder comes through his terrible tragedy and the main thing is for Trevor to guide the club in the last three games.

"You need direction at a club. If you haven't got a manager it lets the indecision of the players take over, and they're unsure of what direction to go in.

"Trevor will point the players in the right direction. This is an emergency situation.

"Forty four points should be enough to make them safe. Trevor has always been a hero at West Ham and if he manages to pull this off he will be even more of a hero."

West Ham have picked up just 35 points from their 35 matches to date and their goal difference is eight worse than that of nearest rivals Bolton.
Sat 26/04/03 at 19:34
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
Well, they both have difficult ties ahead of them - I think it will be a close call, take a look at both of their remaining fixtures -

Bolton:

Games to Play

Southampton(A)
Middlesbrough(H)
Newcastle(A)

West Ham:

Man City(A)
Chelsea(H)
Birmingham(A)

West Ham have the easier away fixtures and if it comes down to the last day (which I think it will) then I think West Ham have every chance of surviving - but they must fight for their lives and I think Brooking is the right man for the job.
Sat 26/04/03 at 19:12
Regular
"Baros!!!"
Don't want West Ham to go down either, but I think it's time to say goodbye to them.
Sat 26/04/03 at 18:40
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
§n][peŽ wrote:
> We will beat bolton on sat.

*Snigger*
Sat 26/04/03 at 17:23
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
Foreman wrote:
> I can't see them beating Man City, as they are starting to look
> impressive.

I think that West Ham have a good chance. And I hate Man City- so I might be biased in my opinion. And I would be sad to see the Hammers go down- they're a great team.
Fri 25/04/03 at 07:55
Regular
"Baros!!!"
I can't see them beating Man City, as they are starting to look impressive.
Thu 24/04/03 at 17:22
Regular
"Fear my wrath..."
Der Nazi wrote:
> Be nice to see Brooking take charge- he's a Hammers legend. I think
> west Ham can avoid the drop- so long as Bolton lose their last few
> games. They CAN beat Man City and Birmingham- they have the power.
> They probably won't beat Chelsea though.

Don't forget West Ham 3 Chelsea 2 earlier on in the season..
Thu 24/04/03 at 16:16
Regular
We will beat bolton on sat.
Thu 24/04/03 at 13:32
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
Be nice to see Brooking take charge- he's a Hammers legend. I think west Ham can avoid the drop- so long as Bolton lose their last few games. They CAN beat Man City and Birmingham- they have the power. They probably won't beat Chelsea though.
Thu 24/04/03 at 12:44
Regular
"Proud PS2+GC Owner"
Information from NTL:world

West Ham United legend Trevor Brooking has been appointed caretaker manager of his beloved Hammers for their last three crucial games of the season as they bid to beat the drop to Division One.

Brooking, who has been asssociated with the club since 1965 and is a member of the Upton Park board, has agreed to step in for manager Glenn Roeder.

Roeder remains in a stable condition in the Royal London Hospital in Whitechapel after being taken ill following Monday's 1-0 win over Middlesbrough. He has been diagnosed with a blockage of a blood vessel in his brain.

Brooking is quoted as telling the official West Ham website: "This seems to be the most sensible solution to preserve the continuity that Glenn and his back-room team have put into place.

"We aim to keep the momentum going that everyone has achieved over the last eight matches when 15 points have been gained."

West Ham are four points adrift of the relative safety of 17th-placed Bolton Wanderers with just three more Premiership matches to go.

And, reallistically, they have to win all of their remaining games to stand any chance of preserving their top-flight status

The Hammers face Manchester City at Maine Road on Sunday before entertaining Champions League-chasing Chelsea the following Saturday. And they go to Birmingham City on the final day of the league season.

A statement from West Ham said: "Due to the illness suffered by Glenn Roeder following our game against Middlesbrough on Monday, Trevor Brooking CBE has agreed to act as caretaker manager for the remainder of the season.

"All of the existing coaching staff will remain in their current positions, and are fully supportive of both this temporary appointment and the club's determination to finish the season above the relegation zone.

"Trevor, the board and everyone at West Ham United continue to send their best wishes of support to Glenn and his family, and look forward to welcoming him back as soon as he is fit and well again."

Former Hammers striker Tony Cottee has backed Brooking's appointment, believing that it was right to choose a short-term replacement for Roeder from within.

Cottee said: "It's a positive move by the board. Appointing Trevor Brooking is a very good step for the club. He's a figurehead here and is well-respected by the fans.

"He's seen every game this season as a director and in terms of training he's not going to go along and tell the coaching staff what to do.

"They will be putting on the sessions still and Trevor will be helping and liaising with them. For the players it's good to know that someone is in charge, and they will know that Trevor will be in charge and he will be picking the team.

"Will Brooking bring Paolo di Canio back into the team? Paolo's a matchwinner and I would love to see him involved at some stage, West Ham need someone to help get them the points to stay up.

"Trevor has been asked to help out in the short term and to give what he's always given, and that's 100 per cent commitment.

"The club have got to see how Glenn Roeder comes through his terrible tragedy and the main thing is for Trevor to guide the club in the last three games.

"You need direction at a club. If you haven't got a manager it lets the indecision of the players take over, and they're unsure of what direction to go in.

"Trevor will point the players in the right direction. This is an emergency situation.

"Forty four points should be enough to make them safe. Trevor has always been a hero at West Ham and if he manages to pull this off he will be even more of a hero."

West Ham have picked up just 35 points from their 35 matches to date and their goal difference is eight worse than that of nearest rivals Bolton.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.