GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Classic Adventure Games"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 20/07/05 at 17:32
Regular
Sure, commiting mass murders in GTA: SA can be huge[ly sick] fun, and shooting the heads off zombies in Resident Evil is a gaming experience that everyone should try at some point in their life, but don't any of you remember the sheer quality of gameplay offered by PC adventure titles? Titles such as the Monkey Island series, Broken Sword or more recently (in comparison to the others mentioned) Grim Fandango.

Unfortunately the truth is that outside of the games listed above I've had relatively little experience with the genre (but as I'm sure you can guess, I like what I've seen). So let me get to the point; adventure game fans, recommend me some long lost classics so I can carry on my exploration of the genre.

Of course, one of the best things about adventure games was the occasionally hilarious dialogue. Murray from the Monkey Island series (well, 'Curse of' and 'Escape from') springs to mind. So, how bout listing your favourite quotes as well...

GUYBRUSH: (to hideous floating skull) Why do you villains always laugh so much?
HIDEOUS FLOATING SKULL: I wasn't laughing about anything in particular, it's just somewhere there's a fish nibbling on my toe and it really tickles.
Thu 10/11/05 at 14:13
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
Armatige Shanks wrote:
> Does anyone miss those old text adventure games?
>
> I was really into them back in the eighties - but they seemed to fall
> from grace once 3D action adventures became popular (I guess because
> the Playstation has no keyboard?)

Yes I remember one set in Egypt on the Spectrum or something like that. It was quite funny at times if you typed in abuse it said something like "The Master does not tolerate language like that" and you also had a pen where if you used it at the wrong time you scribbled all over the pyramid walls and it said "The Master will not be pleased with you".

Great times!
Mon 24/10/05 at 08:28
Regular
ßìgGíË Li††lÊ Jn® wrote:
> Armitage shanks... Don't they make toilets?

And sinks, baths, etc....
Tue 11/10/05 at 18:30
"LOLLERSKATES!"
Armatige Shanks wrote:
> Does anyone miss those old text adventure games?
>
> I was really into them back in the eighties - but they seemed to fall
> from grace once 3D action adventures became popular (I guess because
> the Playstation has no keyboard?)

Armitage shanks... Don't they make toilets?
Tue 11/10/05 at 13:55
Regular
"8==="
I'd get it if Lucas Arts released a classics compilation.
Tue 04/10/05 at 18:08
Regular
"Huh?"
Related to all this, how does Fahrenheit stack up? Anyone played it? It's being touted as the eveolution of the genre. Demo plays well but that's not always an indicator.
Fri 02/09/05 at 22:42
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
Grandprix wrote:
> If a Monkey Island game came out today, I'd get it. I felt the last
> Monkey Island game was a bit easier than the other 3. I raced through
> it with no problems. The others required a bit more thought. Maybe I'm
> a bit smarter now. Nope, that can't be it. :)

Ah Monkey Island!

How I miss thee........................
Sat 30/07/05 at 13:43
Regular
Same with the Broken Sword series. I found the first 2 impossibly difficult but the recent update was fairly easy in comparison.
Sat 30/07/05 at 13:11
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
If a Monkey Island game came out today, I'd get it. I felt the last Monkey Island game was a bit easier than the other 3. I raced through it with no problems. The others required a bit more thought. Maybe I'm a bit smarter now. Nope, that can't be it. :)
Sat 30/07/05 at 10:24
Regular
It's not because the Playstation doesn't have a keyboard, it's because (like 2-D platformers, point-and-click adventure games and side scrolling shooters) text-based adventure games just wouldn't sell if they were brought out on a modern console.

Think about it, would kids and young teens prefer using their brains and imagination in a text game or would they rather be running over old ladies in San Andreas?
Thu 28/07/05 at 09:51
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Does anyone miss those old text adventure games?

I was really into them back in the eighties - but they seemed to fall from grace once 3D action adventures became popular (I guess because the Playstation has no keyboard?)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.