GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The DVD collector."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 26/01/09 at 13:53
"possibly impossible"
I’m as guilty as anyone for having a pile of DVDs I don’t really watch. It’s not that I don’t want to watch them, it’s just that I don’t have time.

Aside from family commitments, the reason I don’t have time to watch my collection is partly that I have too many new films to watch, so the older ones or those I’ve seen before get pushed to the back. You may well ask why I have a collection in the first place if I don’t re-watch films and, yes, I’ve asked myself the same question. The answer is that I know one day I’ll be sitting down and fancy watching a film or a TV series. For this reason alone it is imperative that my favourite movies are within arms reach.

It could also be argued that I could use either a postal rental service, a rental shop or even downloads (Lovefilm are building quite a library of downloadable films). But to me this isn’t as instant or as spontaneous as I’d like. Not only this, but if you look at the cost of renting a film, even with the lowest subscription, you might as well buy a DVD.

The last thing, and one that really sounds like I’m trying to justify my collection, is the extras that most DVDs have. These really add something extra to the experience and a good TV collection or big movie should really have these in abundance. Commentaries get dusted down when I get the chance to re-watch and a lot of them are as entertaining as the actual movie, even more so with TV series like Doctor Who.

But now the shelves are bending with pressure and the wife is looking at how much of the wall my DVDs have crept across, not to mention finances, I constantly find myself having to curb my enthusiasm for DVD collecting. Much as I’d like the full 7 season sets of Star Trek TNG, DS9 or to re-watch the whole of Buffy in order, I just can’t justify buying any more without removing some I already have. And do you know what? I can’t. I’ve tried.

I succeeded, last year, in culling my collection by about a quarter. This quickly got replaced. I guess it didn’t help that a lot of the discs were traded in rather than actually sold. I’ve learnt to live with the fact that I’m not going to get rid of my collection or my need to collect DVDs any time soon. Now I just hope the wife does…

So, anyone else empathise with my issue? Or do you hate collections and survive by download or TV repeats alone? I’d like to hear your views.
Tue 27/01/09 at 10:22
"possibly impossible"
HMV has quite a few HD DVDs still at £2.99 here.

Ebay still has loads as well. The only problem is that it's impossible to sell any at a decent price if you do want to get rid of them.

I have Batman Begins on HDDVD and DVD but I thought about getting it on Blu-ray. I won't unless I get rid of the HD DVD one though.
Tue 27/01/09 at 09:17
Regular
"One man, no shoes.."
Well that's a colossal disappointment.
Tue 27/01/09 at 09:16
Regular
"One man, no shoes.."
Not too shabby, I'll have to post some pics of mine later, I've got 498 Films now! Not including series, if you want to check out my collection www.mikesfilms.co.uk (Haven't updated it for a week so it's only got 487 on there)

Firefly/ Serenity is amazing. There are some amazing HD-DVD Deals to be had about, check out play's HD-DVD section (it is still there you just have to look)
Mon 26/01/09 at 22:43
"possibly impossible"
Hah, good try. I've got Firefly, it's just to the right of the shelf with the Star Wars (I-III) films, and Serenity on HD-DVD.
Mon 26/01/09 at 21:55
Regular
Loving the Doctor Who collection...I'll tell you what, I'll swap my complete Firefly series and movie for them - that'll certainly free up some shelf space ;)

I'm the same though - I tend to buy DVDs really cheap (unless they're boxsets of something I really want so have a rather large collection of DVDs - some unwatched, and most I wouldn't get rid of.
Mon 26/01/09 at 19:52
"possibly impossible"
It's around 400-500 now, if you count box sets as 1 DVD, nearer the latter.

I did catalogue them all in DVDProfiler (an excellent piece of free software that gives you all the dvd detail and you can enter DVDs by bar code, name etc) but I haven't changed from the old edition to the new as I had problems backing up the database.

I'd love to put them in more of an order though, I do have the sets together, but other than that they're mostly in order of studio, so not that well ordered.

I did have a photo not long ago online, will have to dig it out....

...oh well, here's a new one.
Mon 26/01/09 at 16:16
Regular
"One man, no shoes.."
I am completely with you sir! I'm am a DVD collector at heart, I have quite a few DVD's. However I've put the effort in and alphabetised them. I've put them all into a database. I've even sat there and backed them all up onto a series of Hard Drives totalling 5TB!

As for piles on the floor, they happen occasionally but I do my best to quickly file them away.

Out of curiosity how many DVD's are you on?
Mon 26/01/09 at 16:05
Regular
"Notable"
First it was videos then it was DVDs. Now it's becoming Blu-rays :S A blu-ray collection is completely different though, as I only buy movies I know will look good. For example, Apocalypto and the Dark Knight.

I don't really buy DVDs anymore unless its an absolute classic or something really cheap which I like the look of. However, Lovefilm is becoming my prefered choice for these type of films now though. If you rent from Lovefilm, you watch it, send it back and you're not going to leave it in your collection for years to gather dust.

I normally buy tv series on DVD so I can marathon it. Much better than waiting every week for a snippet. Lost is the worst for that. Or at least was, I can't say for the new series.

I've a friend who watches lost online. He says the qualities really good. It's cool if you don't have sky I suppose.

On the topic of the internet, I recently watched live boxing and the merseyside derby both in amazing quality online over the weekend. I didn't realise you could watch so much exclusive stuff for free! I am a student bum :P
Mon 26/01/09 at 13:53
"possibly impossible"
I’m as guilty as anyone for having a pile of DVDs I don’t really watch. It’s not that I don’t want to watch them, it’s just that I don’t have time.

Aside from family commitments, the reason I don’t have time to watch my collection is partly that I have too many new films to watch, so the older ones or those I’ve seen before get pushed to the back. You may well ask why I have a collection in the first place if I don’t re-watch films and, yes, I’ve asked myself the same question. The answer is that I know one day I’ll be sitting down and fancy watching a film or a TV series. For this reason alone it is imperative that my favourite movies are within arms reach.

It could also be argued that I could use either a postal rental service, a rental shop or even downloads (Lovefilm are building quite a library of downloadable films). But to me this isn’t as instant or as spontaneous as I’d like. Not only this, but if you look at the cost of renting a film, even with the lowest subscription, you might as well buy a DVD.

The last thing, and one that really sounds like I’m trying to justify my collection, is the extras that most DVDs have. These really add something extra to the experience and a good TV collection or big movie should really have these in abundance. Commentaries get dusted down when I get the chance to re-watch and a lot of them are as entertaining as the actual movie, even more so with TV series like Doctor Who.

But now the shelves are bending with pressure and the wife is looking at how much of the wall my DVDs have crept across, not to mention finances, I constantly find myself having to curb my enthusiasm for DVD collecting. Much as I’d like the full 7 season sets of Star Trek TNG, DS9 or to re-watch the whole of Buffy in order, I just can’t justify buying any more without removing some I already have. And do you know what? I can’t. I’ve tried.

I succeeded, last year, in culling my collection by about a quarter. This quickly got replaced. I guess it didn’t help that a lot of the discs were traded in rather than actually sold. I’ve learnt to live with the fact that I’m not going to get rid of my collection or my need to collect DVDs any time soon. Now I just hope the wife does…

So, anyone else empathise with my issue? Or do you hate collections and survive by download or TV repeats alone? I’d like to hear your views.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.