GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Catholic Church- should it change?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 23/04/03 at 13:53
Regular
After being inspired by Rosalind's post about her stance concerning religion, I thought I would post mine.

I'm Catholic and I always have been. I went to a Catholic primary school, a Catholic secondary school and now a Catholic sixth form. Catholisism has bred a lot of resentment among a few of my peers who feel that it was forced on them. From being a 4 year old child, I sat through an hour long mass every thursday at my primary school. We had a bombastic priest who seemed to relish shouting "whether you like it or NOT!" at the top of his voice whilst simultaniously smacking his fist into the palm of his other hand. We sang at the funerals of people who we didn't even know as a duty to our church in return for a box of roses between the class from the relatives of the deceased.

Why am I still Catholic? Because MY God is not the 'Catholic God', MY God is My God! I don't agree with the Church's stance on contraception, people living together before they are married or woman priests and alter servers. I go to Mass because I enjoy the union between myself and God that can be achieved through just being there. I like the feeling of solitude, whilst still being in the company of like minded individuals. I have been to the same church since I was born; it is a place of consistancy- it has always been there and it is always the same. Sometimes tradition is a good thing- it gives you a sense of security.

In short, I like being a Catholic. However, I think that the Catholic Church needs to metamorphise into something more relevant to today's society. I believe that God promotes tolerance- therefore the Church should teach tolerance, for gay people, for divorced people and other groups that have felt that the church has turned its backs on them. I don't want the type of church that the Church of England has become- I don't believe that the Church should change it's teachings to get bums on pews or political backing, just that it should have some consideration for the ways society has changed over the last 2000 years.
Wed 23/04/03 at 13:53
Regular
"Hmmm....."
After being inspired by Rosalind's post about her stance concerning religion, I thought I would post mine.

I'm Catholic and I always have been. I went to a Catholic primary school, a Catholic secondary school and now a Catholic sixth form. Catholisism has bred a lot of resentment among a few of my peers who feel that it was forced on them. From being a 4 year old child, I sat through an hour long mass every thursday at my primary school. We had a bombastic priest who seemed to relish shouting "whether you like it or NOT!" at the top of his voice whilst simultaniously smacking his fist into the palm of his other hand. We sang at the funerals of people who we didn't even know as a duty to our church in return for a box of roses between the class from the relatives of the deceased.

Why am I still Catholic? Because MY God is not the 'Catholic God', MY God is My God! I don't agree with the Church's stance on contraception, people living together before they are married or woman priests and alter servers. I go to Mass because I enjoy the union between myself and God that can be achieved through just being there. I like the feeling of solitude, whilst still being in the company of like minded individuals. I have been to the same church since I was born; it is a place of consistancy- it has always been there and it is always the same. Sometimes tradition is a good thing- it gives you a sense of security.

In short, I like being a Catholic. However, I think that the Catholic Church needs to metamorphise into something more relevant to today's society. I believe that God promotes tolerance- therefore the Church should teach tolerance, for gay people, for divorced people and other groups that have felt that the church has turned its backs on them. I don't want the type of church that the Church of England has become- I don't believe that the Church should change it's teachings to get bums on pews or political backing, just that it should have some consideration for the ways society has changed over the last 2000 years.
Wed 23/04/03 at 14:50
Regular
"Laughingstock"
I think everyone needs a place where they can reflect and have solitude. If a Catholic Church is somewhere in which you can find this then that is good.

I'm not 'religious' at all, but I do consider my self as a 'spiritual' person, and it seems to me that religion, especially western religion, has completely lost its way.
Instead of focusing on genuine spiritual/mystical matters, it seems obsessed with the political and how people perceive it.

For me, spirituality is a deeply personal thing, and has nothing whatsoever to with the official teachings or moral codes of an authoritive organized religious body.

Someone once said to me that "God is a signpost pointing to Itself in every direction".
And this is how I view it. There's something more to life, something ineffable, and to think you 'know' it is to label it, and to label it is to debase it.
Wed 23/04/03 at 15:35
Regular
"I'm Great."
The catholics hate everything non-catholic and support the IRA
Dobut we'll see President Bush see them off though!
Wed 23/04/03 at 16:13
Regular
"Ghost Mutt"
That is a lie. That's just most of them. Wait aren't I one?

The problem is that you are forced into it.
Thu 24/04/03 at 20:52
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
Cid Vilante is a knob.
Fri 25/04/03 at 15:36
Regular
"Light of the world"
Cid Vilante wrote:
> The catholics hate everything non-catholic and support the IRA
> Dobut we'll see President Bush see them off though!

Memorandum wrote:
>Cid Vilante is a knob

I second that.
Sat 26/04/03 at 09:58
Regular
"Hmmm....."
Lil ginge wrote:
> Cid Vilante wrote:
>
> Memorandum wrote:
> >Cid Vilante is a knob
>
> I second that.

This is the only one of Cid Vilante's posts that I have seen. However, I too am picking up knob-like waves on my knob-detector!

I certainly don't support the IRA- If we used that argument then we would be on the old 'all muslims support Osama Bin Laden' chestnut that some ignorant fools seem to love using!
Sat 26/04/03 at 11:56
Regular
"\\"
Lil ginge wrote:
> Cid Vilante wrote:
>
> Memorandum wrote:
> >Cid Vilante is a knob
>
> I second that.

Ooh, ooh... I third that

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.