GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why do we play games?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 23/04/03 at 12:24
Regular
Why do we play games?

Yesterday I picked up the wavebird, switched Metroid Prime on and shot a space pirate. Wow. I achieved breaking the poor suckers neck even though i had no personal vendetta against him. Then i realised. Games are pretty pointless. What is the point of wasting precious hours of your only life blasting meanies. It costs you £40 + electricity to play and you get nothing at the end except a bit of money back when you trade it in for another game. The same could also be said of watching Tv.

Please post your thoughts.
Wed 23/04/03 at 14:53
Regular
"get the president!!"
DébUK wrote:
> But whyyyyyyyyyyyyy are they fun?
what is fun?
ha, got you there cotlo
Wed 23/04/03 at 14:51
Regular
"get the president!!"
can anyone listening look at my review of starfox adventures.
i released all my ' crazy' energy at that point
Wed 23/04/03 at 14:50
Regular
"get the president!!"
on behalf of hyhy i would like to appologise to the following celebrity(s)

talking pie
redred
Wed 23/04/03 at 14:48
Regular
"get the president!!"
no, we are all cyborgs in a giant washing machine and you have shown your weakness. prepare to be assimilated.
Wed 23/04/03 at 14:47
Regular
"Hmmm....."
But whyyyyyyyyyyyyy are they fun?
Wed 23/04/03 at 14:39
Regular
I play games becuase they're fun.
Does no one else?
Wed 23/04/03 at 14:35
Regular
"get the president!!"
I also suppose that it gives us mere mortals the chance to do something completely off the wall that would probably be impossible in real life
Wed 23/04/03 at 14:32
Regular
"get the president!!"
i can see your point. i've just given metroid another shot and have found an artifact. Then for some strange reason i wanted to find the next one. I suppose action and multiplayer games go on our most basic instinct- survival. And i also admit that if i didn't waste my time playing games i'd waste it some other way
Wed 23/04/03 at 13:36
Regular
"Hmmm....."
Well, I don't play games on consoles. My brother plays on them quite a lot though. There are many possible explanations for the reasons behind playing games.

If you looked at it from a behaviourist perspective, you could explain gaming in terms of the reinforcement it provides. You play on a game, you pass certain levels and you gain reinforcement and the behaviour is repeated again. It is like gambling in a way!

Or, you could explain it from a biological point of view. Playing on a game is exciting, it releases adrenaline into the system which increases the levels of dopamine ('happy hormone') in the brain. Gaming is a means of escapism- for many of us it replaces the thrill of the chase when hunting. We don't hunt any more for our food, so perhaps we have evolved to seek replacement for that excitement in computer games (especially action based games.)

It is interesting to hear why people play games (especially for someone like me, who is not a big fan of gaming in general.) I have been playing Pokemon Crystal, though (yes, I am THAT sad!) and it is fun to experience the sense of achievement when you are doing well.
Wed 23/04/03 at 13:15
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
I like the escapism. Gaming tears me away into another world where I'm not reading game reviews, searching for game screenshots, writing about gaming, seeking opinions on gaming and feeding the cat.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.