GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Share buttons"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 22/01/09 at 11:17
Regular
How do you go about adding those buttons on your web site that can share a page with Facebook etc I see even Freeola are using them these days

Digi
Wed 28/01/09 at 19:31
Regular
"wheres the Any Key?"
lo digi,
thx for the reply, its as clear as HTML lol

keep safe
Mon 26/01/09 at 15:30
Regular
Hi Tappet
I use HTML because thats what I was trained on, its what I learned at Uni, back in the day - them were the days when NOTEPAD was your work horse none of this fancy pants WISIWIG or what ever they call it :-) these days

That said I use Frontpage mostly but I have Dreamweaver 8 as well and do try to keep up with the new trends - but at the end of the day html is easy to learn it does what I need it to do, and most folks dont have any probs looking at any site we have made - no need for plugins etc or waiting ages for flash files to load etc etc etc its a good solid foundation it works well with CSS and we like it - hope that makes sense :)

Dig
Sun 25/01/09 at 14:20
Regular
"wheres the Any Key?"
hiya digi,

gr8 to hear your all sorted and have tried Addthis out too. In your reply you say that the code works fine in html and no PHP is requiried. I first used this code as html but have recently been trying to teach myself PHP coding via trial and error.

Out of curiousity, do you use HTML because you choose to or is there a practical reason/advantage for using HTML where ever possible?
Sun 25/01/09 at 12:16
Regular
Hi tappet
that looks like it would work fine, I have got it working on our village site using just the face book icon at the moment, you get one line of code from facebook and add the URL (uniform resource laocater) (web address) of the page you want to share and pop the code on the page where you want it, dead easy and it works a treat, I only use face book, so thats fine for me just now.

I know that others that visit the site may use other social networking sites.....but just now they can settle for facebook lol

Its very easy to set up and insert the code.

Digi

Edit this also works in just plain html I have signed up as Sundays are boring - tried it out and its working a treat tappet, its only 3 lines of code which I saved as a text file dead easy and no PHP required

Digi
Sun 25/01/09 at 03:40
Regular
"wheres the Any Key?"
hiya digi, I think you may find this website very helpful and will sort your `bookmark or share` prob.

This is what your looking for!

if i remember rightly you need to sign up to get the code which you need to add to your website.

The easiest way to do this is to use PHP. For anyone who not familiar with PHP here`s a brief explaination.

Saved the code your given to a PHP file called addto.php

then on the page you want the button to appear and at the location on the page you want the button to appear use the PHP include command.

"addto.php" relates to the loctaion where you saved the addto.php file. So if you want to display the the button on your websites homepage (index.php) which is in the root folder and your addto.php file is in a subfolder called pageinserts you would add the following code to your homepage (index.php) .....

The advantage of using the PHP include is....
You dont have to type all the code into every page you want to
button to appear on. Instead you simply add the above PHP
code to each page and if you use software such as
dreamweaver this code can be stored in your favourite code
snippets and inserted into any page with a simply click
of the mouse.

for more info about PHP include check out Freeola`s PHP Essentials

The button that is display on your site is very neat and smaller than the freeola link above, when your cursor rolls over it a small window pops up with options to bookmark & share your site to the following.....

EMAIL
FAVOURITES
MYSPACE
DIGG
FACEBOOK
YAHOO BUZZ
DEL.ICOI.US
GOOGLE
LIVE
MORE (if what you want is not listed select MORE and a new
browser popup window opens with a total of 43
bookmark & share options).

Hope this helps

Would you be kind enough to let me know what you think to this bookmark & share button as im still a novice to webdesign and would appreciate the feedback as im sure other users would too. Many Thx
Thu 22/01/09 at 16:20
Regular
Hi Hmmmm

I only use facebook and I find it quite a challenge to keep up with so many folks bombard mr with silly things, but we feel the village site might benifit from such a button, I like how Freeola have them all grouped together I had hoped there was one bit of code that put them all in place at once - failing that facebook icon will do us for starters

Digi
Thu 22/01/09 at 14:10
"Are you sure?"
Hi Digi,
I'm no expert (or fan!) on these sites, but as you say lots of websites use them - even the BBC.

You need to add a code snippet.
Here are the instructions for Digg as an example: digg.com/tools/integrate

Each site will have similar instructions.

I see some traffic coming from these sites (mostly 'Delicious') so perhaps I'll add them to my pages one day, but as I said I don't particularly like the sites!

Search Freeola Chat My Freeola Instant Site
Thu 22/01/09 at 11:17
Regular
How do you go about adding those buttons on your web site that can share a page with Facebook etc I see even Freeola are using them these days

Digi

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.