GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"More Longevity In Games"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 26/01/01 at 20:25
Regular
Nowadays the greatest games tend to have lots of things for the player to earn. Wether its extra cars, fighters, options, cheat modes, costumes, etc.
With consoles such as the DC now having clocks in them, maybe this should be used in creating more longevity in our favourite games.

In Ready 2 Rumble Round 2, there are special costumes that certain characters wear on certain days of the year. They only get these extras for that 1 day though.
I was thinking that maybe games could start to use this with permanent rewards for the player.
Basically, the idea is that certain extras can be unlocked by the player on certain special event days.
For example, if the game were a racing one there could be extra cars or options to be earned if you play the game on days such as christmas day, easter, etc.

Maybe when you start your game you could even enter your birthday which is saved to the memory card and when it reaches that date, the game gives you an extra car or something on that day.

Its something that doesn't so much require lots of skill and hours of swearing in frustration to get, but another way of rewarding the player as they play the game through the year. And rather than have them as hidden secrets, the instruction booklet could inform the player that they will earn something on these certain dates, the only secret being what the surprise extra will be.

Of course there should still be plenty to earn in the usual manner of unlocking through skill, but this would be something nice as an extra :-)

Not only that, but not everyone is great at games and some may find they can't unlock certain things no matter how much they play. These dated extras could help these kind of players too. Like say a faster car, are an easier skill setting, or maybe a new weapon that does a lot of damage (depending on the type of game).

And as for the skilled players like most on this board, it adds more in a game for us because we won't just play it to death and get bored with it in a week. Even we would have more to look forward to in the game :-)

Sun 28/01/01 at 21:44
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
ular music
Sun 28/01/01 at 19:33
Regular
Pop.
Sat 27/01/01 at 10:36
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Dont get me wrong... I think its a great idea for stickking into games.... especially due to the number of games bought for snd played on Birthdays/Christmas/Easter/etc...

It would have to depend on the releasse date of the game... a Novemeber release should have the best easter eggs at both Christmas & New Years, etc...

And would not suit some games... Ready2Rumble, Midtown Madness 2, etc.. would be great for easter eggs though...
Sat 27/01/01 at 02:15
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
But overall it gives a reason to blow the dust off a game and see something new from it. Afterall i dunno bout the rest of you, but even as an optional thing for players to be bothered about, it gives you more for your money.
Personally i don't wanna be bored with a game never to touch it again after a week - especially when i've shelled out around £40 for it.

Of course this happens though and i thought of this date thing as an idea to extend a games life. Afterall there are plenty of games with fan followings such as Tekken, Soul Caliber, Gran Turismo, MSR, etc. So players like these in particular will benefit from an idea like this because it gives them more to see out of their favourite games.

I spent ages on Goldeneye getting the extras up too and its a great game. I just think this idea would be nice along with the usual way of earning things. That way the skilled players and the ones that stick with it will still earn their usual things. But with this as well, theres those extra bits everyone can get and put onto their memory card.
But i'd still want the usual way of earning things in too so that the people who stick with it will always get more out of a game.

Fri 26/01/01 at 22:09
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
savatt1668 : This sort of thing happens a lot on online multiplayers like Ultima Online...

But as Sniper says, games usually arnt played for long enough for such things to matter... personally I get bored of most games after about a week, Games that I want to play until completion, usually dont fit well with easter eggs... And Multiplayer games like Midtown Madness2 and Quake3, etc... are usually configured before playing, so easter eggs only avalible to one player would often be ignored...
Fri 26/01/01 at 21:55
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
I don't think you can say a game has more longetivity than another, I mean you can't compare a 1 player like Turok to a Multiplayer like Mario Party 2! They are different games, different Genres. I suppose you could compare Deus ex and Half life, two similar games both with Internet Multiplayer options.....(I think!)

And Anyway Comparing is no fun, like when you try to decide which game to get....this...or that.....get them both! And then you can see!

The Game
Fri 26/01/01 at 21:39
Regular
You've had to unlock so many cheats in Goldeneye, you spent your years waiting for Perfect Dark by unlocking every cheat Goldeneye has, most people who are good enough spent over the few years doing this and it showed how much longetivity Goldeneye had.
If you cheated of course all of it's shine will wear off and you'll think it's too short.
If you want longetivity, maybe we should have different endings to the game, even more cheats to unlock or different routes.
The longetivity all depends on how good you are at games and how much time you like to give in to complete a game.
Those people who spent that long must be proud of their job, most people who cheated would think they gaming marvels but they are not. You are actually PRO-GAMERS to even complete a game like Final Fantasy or Deus Ex, they are made to last year along time.
They do wear off after you complete them, but they keep you occupied for a couple of months.
The games wear off after a while, a few months on you need a new challenge for yourself.
Fri 26/01/01 at 20:25
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Nowadays the greatest games tend to have lots of things for the player to earn. Wether its extra cars, fighters, options, cheat modes, costumes, etc.
With consoles such as the DC now having clocks in them, maybe this should be used in creating more longevity in our favourite games.

In Ready 2 Rumble Round 2, there are special costumes that certain characters wear on certain days of the year. They only get these extras for that 1 day though.
I was thinking that maybe games could start to use this with permanent rewards for the player.
Basically, the idea is that certain extras can be unlocked by the player on certain special event days.
For example, if the game were a racing one there could be extra cars or options to be earned if you play the game on days such as christmas day, easter, etc.

Maybe when you start your game you could even enter your birthday which is saved to the memory card and when it reaches that date, the game gives you an extra car or something on that day.

Its something that doesn't so much require lots of skill and hours of swearing in frustration to get, but another way of rewarding the player as they play the game through the year. And rather than have them as hidden secrets, the instruction booklet could inform the player that they will earn something on these certain dates, the only secret being what the surprise extra will be.

Of course there should still be plenty to earn in the usual manner of unlocking through skill, but this would be something nice as an extra :-)

Not only that, but not everyone is great at games and some may find they can't unlock certain things no matter how much they play. These dated extras could help these kind of players too. Like say a faster car, are an easier skill setting, or maybe a new weapon that does a lot of damage (depending on the type of game).

And as for the skilled players like most on this board, it adds more in a game for us because we won't just play it to death and get bored with it in a week. Even we would have more to look forward to in the game :-)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.