GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
""All Those Tanks Were Just To Scare Us"...."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 19/04/03 at 19:29
Regular
Yep, that and more have been uttered by certain people and sections of the media. The decisions to deploy troops and armoured vehicles, and the whole caboodle of military personnel to the country's major airports was greeted with the usual liberal cynicism.

With war on Iraq looming, and Tony trying to garner support from an apathetic public, the common idea was that there was no threat but that the measures had been taken to scare us, sheep style, into believing this country was at risk from terrorism. Apparently, and often forgotten, the discovery of several terrorist cells in London with ricin was not enough to do that.

Nope, the sight of Chinook helicopters disgorging squaddies onto Heathrow's green fields was all one big PR stunt to get the public behind a war.

And, as usual, just like with other recent events, the doubters now have egg on their faces to compliment the other stuff coming from their mouths.

http://www.sky.com/skynews/ article/0,,30000-12290646,00.html

The plot was real.

But, and I'm predicting the rebuttals here, maybe this is also a bit of PR from the government ? Hardly, as there was no need to rake up the story if the only aim was to lie about it. And with the government wanting to promote UK tourism then Legoland would hardly be the best of places to use in such deception.

No, the threat was real, and prevented by the high profile deployment we all saw, and who some chose to ridicule.

Remember that nothing is now beyond belief in today's world. Just because it seems weird, or unheralded, or stupid, doesn't mean it is not a real threat or a real response.

After all, these are "interesting times".
Sat 19/04/03 at 19:29
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
Yep, that and more have been uttered by certain people and sections of the media. The decisions to deploy troops and armoured vehicles, and the whole caboodle of military personnel to the country's major airports was greeted with the usual liberal cynicism.

With war on Iraq looming, and Tony trying to garner support from an apathetic public, the common idea was that there was no threat but that the measures had been taken to scare us, sheep style, into believing this country was at risk from terrorism. Apparently, and often forgotten, the discovery of several terrorist cells in London with ricin was not enough to do that.

Nope, the sight of Chinook helicopters disgorging squaddies onto Heathrow's green fields was all one big PR stunt to get the public behind a war.

And, as usual, just like with other recent events, the doubters now have egg on their faces to compliment the other stuff coming from their mouths.

http://www.sky.com/skynews/ article/0,,30000-12290646,00.html

The plot was real.

But, and I'm predicting the rebuttals here, maybe this is also a bit of PR from the government ? Hardly, as there was no need to rake up the story if the only aim was to lie about it. And with the government wanting to promote UK tourism then Legoland would hardly be the best of places to use in such deception.

No, the threat was real, and prevented by the high profile deployment we all saw, and who some chose to ridicule.

Remember that nothing is now beyond belief in today's world. Just because it seems weird, or unheralded, or stupid, doesn't mean it is not a real threat or a real response.

After all, these are "interesting times".
Sat 19/04/03 at 23:00
Regular
Very interesting...

I was one of the sceptics at the time. I suppose it's only natural to question what the government tell you when they don't offer anything to back it up, regardless of the justifications for maintaining confidentiality, but perhaps we should have more faith in Blair.
Though there is, of course, the argument that simply because on this occasion the gvt were dealing with a legitimate threat, it's no good grounds to begin blindly assuming everything we hear from them to be the truth.

Perhaps the only lesson is that we simply can't know either way, and just because there is room for doubt, it is only doubt, nothing more solid.
Sun 20/04/03 at 00:47
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Why didn't they say that then?
Sun 20/04/03 at 18:56
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
None of the information contained in that page had any proof to back it up or details of the sources. There is no more reason to believe it now than there was then, and no reason to think it's anything more than fiction.

So forgive me for not being any more convinced.
Sun 20/04/03 at 19:10
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
Intelligence sources, is that good enough for you, plus the fact no one is denying it. "intelligence sources" is essentially a wording for known people with the security services who do not want to reveal identities for very good reasons.

You can say there is no evidence, sure, but where is the evidence to say it was a hoax ? Just because a 747 didn't blow up doesn't mean it could not have happened.

Likewise, you can never reveal intel like this at the time because that endangers sources, and people, and tips off those you want to catch.

It's not reason to believe everything, but it does show that the sceptics should be a little less vehement in their ridiculing next time, in case it's a real situation.
Mon 21/04/03 at 21:04
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
But how does it show that the sceptics should be a little less vehement?
Mon 21/04/03 at 21:10
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
Because on this occasion, as with Iraq, Afghanistan, the war on terror and tens of other things, they've been proven wrong.
Mon 21/04/03 at 23:15
"possibly impossible"
I believe there is a chance that France will attack us. I believe there is a chance that God exists and will come down on judgement day. Yeah, sceptics, you'll see that it 'could' all happen, um...even if it doesn't.

;-)
Tue 22/04/03 at 00:31
Regular
"bearded n dangerous"
That's true. It was on the Sky site, so it must be true. More proof, I don't need.

*rolls eyes heavenward*
Wed 23/04/03 at 22:25
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
Star Fury wrote:
> Because on this occasion, as with Iraq, Afghanistan, the war on terror
> and tens of other things, they've been proven wrong.

*Sigh* HOW have they been proven wrong?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.