GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"A vision/version of the future"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 26/01/01 at 15:43
Regular
Regardless of all the different reports flying around about Sega one thing does seem almost certain: Dreamcast hardware production isn't going to be around for that much longer. The idea of putting a Dreamcast onto a single board/chip is a good one in theory but isn't it a bit pointless in practice? I thought CD and DVD drives can't read GD-ROMs, which would mean forking out for more hardware to play the games? If people aren't buying a multi-game DC packs for £150 (or less) how much will they go to? I, for one, would also rather have the two separate in case I wanted to upgrade one and not the other.

Sega have done the sensible thing and said they are looking into production for the PS2 and Gameboy. They haven't mentioned the GameCube yet, but that's understandable because of Nintendo's typical secrecy. They also fail to mention the Xbox. Now that some developers have apparently pulled out of Xbox development it makes you think that there's something they know that we don't. Too expensive/dificult to develop for? Not powerful enough? I don't think so. I think they are starting to believe the Xbox is trying to be too much more than a games machine - the hard disc has, in my opinion, been a BIG mistake since day one, unless it's only to be used for virtual memory purposes and the like and not bug fixes and install files.

The DC is dying now so that's out of the long term picture but imagine if the Xbox dies within a year of release due to 'problems'.

That will leave us with the PS2 and the GameCube (not the GB Advance, it's not seriously comparable). I think the best possible outcome would be for this to be Nintendo's last machine as well. Sony should then allow Nintendo and Sega to have input to the development of the PS3 (and perhaps a modest share in hardware profits). No more 'this game on that and that game on this' decisions to make. No more swapping development platforms halfway through the production. We would have our one system market which would, with any luck, consist of a fantastically well conceived and executed piece of hardware backed by ALL of the worlds best games designers.

This time last year I'd have dismissed this idea without hesitation. Now I'm quite taken by it. Anyone with me?
Sun 28/01/01 at 17:20
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
In fact, thinking about it, this sort of happened with Intel chips...

A few years ago, before the other chip manufactures really got there game together, Intel did pretty much as it wanted... This ment newer chips came out when they wanted it to... and RISC, whioch was to be the next big thing dies... because whenever a RISC chip company came out, Intel bought them out, because they were considered a risk to Intels cisc chipset... As a result of Intel practicle monoloply we lost out on chip advancement...
Sun 28/01/01 at 17:17
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
"Like the problem with a Tomb Raider game"
Okay, never was a bit of an overstatement... but in comparison to PC games, were patches are mandatory... if I ever grab a game that 3 months + old, before I even play, I'll pop over to the site and check for a patch...

"I don't mean for Sony to have total control over a one system market (that would be bad), that's why I said it should be a collaboration."

One machine for all? .. Still contains the same problems with monopoly... Its competition that makes console developers make bigger and better machines....

I just think that we the consumers would lose out if that happened... and that gaming would slide into a rut...
Sun 28/01/01 at 16:35
Regular
"Looking for freedom"
There shouldnt be such a need for patches on console
> software. Most problems with PC's arise because of the number of
> different configurations possible and avalble... Since consoles have
> a pretty static configuration programmers always know what there
> working with...

Like the problem with a Tomb Raider game (not sure which one) which made it impossible to complete a certain level, or get out of it in any way other than resetting the machine? PC owners could get a patch, PlayStation owners could get stuffed (quote, from somewhere). The reason patches haven't been available on consoles is because they haven't been possible. Now that they may be it could make developers grow lazier in their testing knowing their is always a backup available.

I don't mean for Sony to have total control over a one system market (that would be bad), that's why I said it should be a collaboration. The PlayStation has already dropped the 'Sony' tag and, to the general public, it's name is synonymous with gaming anyway. Sony have more or less bought the hardware industry but their in house impact on software has been minimal. Be honest, as unlikely as it would be to work, would't you like to buy one machine knowing that you have access to all the games you want with no 'exclusive' titles anymore?

Do most people care who makes a game anyway as long as it's good? Admittedly some developers have a much higher success rate tham others but some, normally naff, companies have produced classics in their time.
Sun 28/01/01 at 14:33
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Hey man, relax, I'm not making a personal dig, just discussing the thread, taking an alternate viewpoint, and not in any way making a personal dig... :)

Smoked Kipper wrote :
"All I said was that a collaborated machine from the leading hardware developers, under the name and budget of the PlayStation could, potentialy, be a very good thing!"
Tha would give Sony the monopoly... which for the advancment of, price of, consumer position with Consoles, can never be a good thing in any marketplace... which is why there are laws against such things...

Smoked Kipper wrote:
"The hard disc IS a good idea in principle, providing guidelines for it's use are strictly enforced - which they probably won't be."
There shouldnt be such a need for patches on console software. Most problems with PC's arise because of the number of different configurations possible and avalble... Since consoles have a pretty static configuration programmers always know what there working with...

This is why Playstation, Dreamcasts, NES, MegaDrives, Amigas, etc... didt have a need for software patches...
Sun 28/01/01 at 10:29
Regular
"Looking for freedom"
Listen! I didn't dismiss anything!

I said to imagine the worst case which is not, in any way, the most likely!

I didn't sing about or curse any unreleased hardware and I'm certainly not promoting the PS2!

All I said was that a collaborated machine from the leading hardware developers, under the name and budget of the PlayStation could, potentialy, be a very good thing!

The hard disc IS a good idea in principle, providing guidelines for it's use are strictly enforced - which they probably won't be.
Sat 27/01/01 at 19:16
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Even if they only sell one X-Box, it will still be around a yer after its release...

And as it turns out, Sonys PS2 isnt selling in anyway near the hotcakes way it looked...

With the publicity for the X-Box not even starting yet... and bearing in mind, that Microsoft are masters at marketing... remeber Windows 95 day anyone... they 'bought' the Times for one day and turned the newpaper into a giat advert... they had people queing up for hours before midnight to get hold of a copy... and this was just an OS with little or no software written at the time to even ruin on it...

Dismissal of the X-Box

SmokedKipper wrote :
"the hard disc has, in my opinion, been a BIG mistake since day one, unless it's only to be used for virtual memory purposes and the like and not bug fixes and install files. "

better tell that to Sony then, since they are also intending to release a HD at some point in the future... as well as a load of other add-ons that Microsoft are giving away with the reatil machine.

SmokedKipper wrote :
"imagine if the Xbox dies within a year of release due to "

You have to understand that prodicing software for a PC is completly different from prodicing software for a console. The set hardware configuration changes and siplifies the entire software production system.

Equally why would the PS2 and GC be stable where the X-Box have problems...

Smoked Kipper wrote :
"We would have our one system market which would, with any luck, consist of a fantastically well conceived and executed piece of hardware backed by ALL of the worlds best games designers."
A one system market would be the downfall of consoles... There would be no competition in the marketplace to produce better systems... why should Sony spend money on developing a great system, when theirs is the only system avalible. It was this market competition that help Sony last time...

I'm not against the PS2 its a good machine, that has faults that will need to be ironed out (could the faults be the mistake that losses Sony its market?) But to dismiss a machine you know nothing about, over a year before its release, seems foolish at best...
Sat 27/01/01 at 18:51
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
DC is not dead. Production ceases in March, but there will be enough consoles to supply demand till summer.... making the DC 3 years old. By then I'll be buying either a GC or Xbox... although i had previously not thought about the xbox I'm slowly changing my mind... depends on the games.

SonicRav
Sat 27/01/01 at 18:45
Regular
"Looking for freedom"
People do still buy SNES games, but only second hand ones. There isn't really a 'living' market for it.

As for my XBox comments, I think it's just as likely it will fail as succeed. As I poined out, some developers have dropped out of publishing for it already and there's another year for more to go the same way. Pure advertising won the PlayStation the status it has achieved and I don't think any amount of media spin is going to dethrone it or it's replacement. Only persistently dire games can do that.

ALso I did say 'imagine the worst'.
Fri 26/01/01 at 22:17
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
With over a year before its release, and over 5billion dollars behind it... to speculate the X-Boxs life at less than 12 months is highly questionable :)
Fri 26/01/01 at 21:44
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
Hmmm, I don't think that any consoles are really dying, well i suppose they all are in a sense, there is not as much electricity about them as when they were first released, or displayed.

People stil buy SNES games from second hand shops in Devon so I wouldn't count Sega's Dreamsact out yet as they still plan on producing more games!

Give it another year when all these consoles are out and then we'll see, for now we can only predict, but I don't think that we can really say that any console is dying, especially whn all the games are still being produced!

The Game

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.