GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Spotify - free (legit!) music"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 20/01/09 at 11:27
Regular
Free Invite

What is Spotify?
Spotify offers you legal and free access to a huge library of music. All you need to do is create an account and download our streaming music player.

What is your goal?
Our dream is to let everyone listen to whatever they want, whenever and wherever they want.

Do I need to pay to use Spotify?
No, the advertising-funded version of Spotify is free of charge, however, for now it requires that you receive an invite to register, click here to sign up for an invite. Alternatively, you can pay for an ad-free subscription to Spotify.

And from a review at torrentfreak:

Spotify is a music service that gives users access to a huge library of music, through a lightweight application that looks like a mashup of the best parts of iTunes and Last.fm. Music is streamed, partly supported by P2P technology, but it plays instantly, like we’ve never seen before.

One of the software engineers at Spotify is Ludvig Strigeus, the creator of uTorrent. It is therefore no surprise that the application uses very few resources, just 12k memory when we tested it. The rumor goes that some of the money made when uTorrent sold to BitTorrent Inc., has actually been invested in Spotify, an application that competes with piracy.

When we asked Andres Sehr of Spotify to describe the service, he told us “Spotify is a new way of enjoying music. We believe Spotify provides a viable alternative to music piracy. We think the way forward is to create a service better than piracy, thereby converting users into a legal, sustainable alternative which also enriches the total music experience.”

I've just signed up, but no speakers on the PC here at work, so will give it a go tonight.

I have heard that although it sounds bad, there really aren't many adverts - less than on commercial radio and with the added benefit of no crap DJ jibbering away between tracks either.

You can share playlists between friends who can then add tracks and send the list back.

Maybe we could set up a Freeola playlist and share new music between us?
Tue 20/01/09 at 11:27
Regular
Free Invite

What is Spotify?
Spotify offers you legal and free access to a huge library of music. All you need to do is create an account and download our streaming music player.

What is your goal?
Our dream is to let everyone listen to whatever they want, whenever and wherever they want.

Do I need to pay to use Spotify?
No, the advertising-funded version of Spotify is free of charge, however, for now it requires that you receive an invite to register, click here to sign up for an invite. Alternatively, you can pay for an ad-free subscription to Spotify.

And from a review at torrentfreak:

Spotify is a music service that gives users access to a huge library of music, through a lightweight application that looks like a mashup of the best parts of iTunes and Last.fm. Music is streamed, partly supported by P2P technology, but it plays instantly, like we’ve never seen before.

One of the software engineers at Spotify is Ludvig Strigeus, the creator of uTorrent. It is therefore no surprise that the application uses very few resources, just 12k memory when we tested it. The rumor goes that some of the money made when uTorrent sold to BitTorrent Inc., has actually been invested in Spotify, an application that competes with piracy.

When we asked Andres Sehr of Spotify to describe the service, he told us “Spotify is a new way of enjoying music. We believe Spotify provides a viable alternative to music piracy. We think the way forward is to create a service better than piracy, thereby converting users into a legal, sustainable alternative which also enriches the total music experience.”

I've just signed up, but no speakers on the PC here at work, so will give it a go tonight.

I have heard that although it sounds bad, there really aren't many adverts - less than on commercial radio and with the added benefit of no crap DJ jibbering away between tracks either.

You can share playlists between friends who can then add tracks and send the list back.

Maybe we could set up a Freeola playlist and share new music between us?
Tue 20/01/09 at 11:35
"possibly impossible"
Nice.

Sounds good, I've signed up but not sure about sticking the software on the work PC so I'll wait till I'm on my home one.
Tue 20/01/09 at 17:31
Regular
Well, I've set up a few playlists on the software at work, but can't listen to them 'til I get home. It will be interesting to see if the lists will appear when I log in later from a different PC.

I'm also curious to hear the sound quality and if any lag is evident, plus how many and how annoying the adverts are.

This could be really good. I'll find out later.
Tue 20/01/09 at 19:24
Regular
Well, firstly, the playlists I set up on the work machine appeared when I installed on this laptop, so they're linked to your login and portable. This is good.

Just been listening for about half an hour and heard my first advert. IT was only the one and lasted about 20 seconds, then straight back to the music. Thi is also good.

Sound quality is also good. No lag or jumps and tunes start straight away - no apparent buffering at all. They are some streamed Ogg Vorbis file type, apparently, which are equivalent to an 160KBs MP3.

All in all I'm very impressed and will be using this quite a bit. Anyway, I'm off to try and fit this laptop into my hi-fi & network.
Fri 20/02/09 at 16:13
Regular
Spotify rocks ! :D

Was just wondering if you guys could send me an invite.

Would be deeply greatfull.
Thanks in advance.
Mon 23/02/09 at 08:45
Regular
Click the link that YH posted at the top of his post :)
Mon 23/02/09 at 15:39
Regular
Glad someone has got use of it.

I'm currently sorting out a HTPC using most of the stuff from an old machine. Just need a new case and a bigger HDD. It'll replace the Xbox running XBMC and it will run Win XP MCE but will also be able to use this Spotify, plus BBC iPlayer, C4 catchup etc.

I have no idea why I've put that, as it doesn't really have any relevance to this thread.
Thu 12/03/09 at 17:18
Regular
"Mooching around"
A bit of thread necromancy here, but I just downloaded this thing and have to say it's really fantastic. Especially for Muse fan such as myself, (if you search for them you'll see what I mean).

I'm not sure if I'll be needing WMP for anything at all any more.
Wed 13/05/09 at 20:01
Regular
Anyone else on here got this yet?

I know I'm pushing it a bit, but it really is great. I've got 10 invites if they're still needed by the way, just let me know.
Sat 21/11/09 at 13:28
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
I love Spotify, I was put off at first when Spotify were hacked, but having since given it a go, haven't looked back.

I use the free version, adds and all, and they are more frequent that when I first started, but still not enough to make me switch off. The selection of songs is huge, and if I wanted to I could use the IPhone or Android App if I were a premium member, which is tempting for only a tenner a month with no adds and being able to download some songs for offline listening, but for now, I'll stick with the freebie option.

There are times when it'll lock up for a few moments, causing the whole PC to freeze, and at times uses 90+% of my CPU, and I've even had a virus warning about it from the new Microsoft Security scanner, but it doesn't seem to have done any harm, so maybe it was just a false positive.

Oddly, I can't remember getting an invite for Spotify from anybody, so how I got the account, I can't remember. I don't have invites, but if you can get any, I'd really recommend giving Spotify a go.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.