GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Hardcore."

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 16/01/09 at 12:04
"possibly impossible"
Hardcore gamers are labelled as an odd assortment where the 'rules' of being in this set often contradict each other or are used as an excuse to downplay achievements of certain other games or companies.

Some of the more popular ideas of what Hardcore players are like are:

Hardcore gamers don't Play Nintendo
A Hardcore gamer should surely be independent of platform and would try every single game for merit, or at least know about every game on the market and have played the good games on each console all the way through. So any argument that Hardcore gamers don’t play on Wii or DS is groundless.

Hardcore gamers console of choice is the 360
Again, the true Hardcore gamer (ie: those that consider themselves ultimate gamers) would not limit themselves to one console. This probably came about because the 360 does have the best selection of top quality games (or at least did during the middle of 2008) but was probably driven more by the waves of ‘casual’ games which were appearing on the Wii (‘casual’ being another label the media like to use for their own purposes).

Hardcore gamers don’t play Casual games
Assuming the Casual label refers to games that can be picked up and played by anyone, this is unlikely to be true. A gamer who strives for the status of being some sort of true gamer or gaming god would have at least tried these games and would not object to gaming simply on the basis that someone’s granny was now interested in the game. The fact that the game now has a wider audience should not be a deciding factor in whether a game should appeal to a Hardcore audience.

In fact, the main factor in a game not being of appeal to the Hardcore gamer is that it has no redeeming features as a game. Some ‘casual’ games will undoubtedly fall into this category and would be found on any system.

What is a Hardcore Gamer?
What should a Hardcore gamer really be? It would ideally be someone dedicated to computer gaming in all forms, knowing gaming lore and the appreciation of games history, having played many of the platforms which games have been created for. They would have a great knowledge of all things gaming, including release dates, composers, games developers.

Hardcore gamers would devote a significant amount of their time and money in gaming and would ensure that all their games are completed as thoroughly as possible. They would play games all their spare time.

Maybe even this isn't enough. There are probably scales of Hardcore gamer from those that have families and play only a little but still keep up with all the gaming knowledge to those whose whole life revolves around games.

The point I'm trying to make is that asking 'what is a Hardcore gamer?' is pretty pointless as there isn't really any such thing, it's a phrase set up to be used by the media in order to label people for their own ends.

So, in other words, it's a type of pidgeon-holing and one that doesn't really work. As with any stereotype there will be those who fit the bill exactly, but most of us would argue at least one of the points above.

Next time you read an article on Hardcore Gamers, think about the agenda this article is trying to push and what the phrase Hardcore gamers should really mean, because it doesn't really mean a lot to me...
Fri 16/01/09 at 12:04
"possibly impossible"
Hardcore gamers are labelled as an odd assortment where the 'rules' of being in this set often contradict each other or are used as an excuse to downplay achievements of certain other games or companies.

Some of the more popular ideas of what Hardcore players are like are:

Hardcore gamers don't Play Nintendo
A Hardcore gamer should surely be independent of platform and would try every single game for merit, or at least know about every game on the market and have played the good games on each console all the way through. So any argument that Hardcore gamers don’t play on Wii or DS is groundless.

Hardcore gamers console of choice is the 360
Again, the true Hardcore gamer (ie: those that consider themselves ultimate gamers) would not limit themselves to one console. This probably came about because the 360 does have the best selection of top quality games (or at least did during the middle of 2008) but was probably driven more by the waves of ‘casual’ games which were appearing on the Wii (‘casual’ being another label the media like to use for their own purposes).

Hardcore gamers don’t play Casual games
Assuming the Casual label refers to games that can be picked up and played by anyone, this is unlikely to be true. A gamer who strives for the status of being some sort of true gamer or gaming god would have at least tried these games and would not object to gaming simply on the basis that someone’s granny was now interested in the game. The fact that the game now has a wider audience should not be a deciding factor in whether a game should appeal to a Hardcore audience.

In fact, the main factor in a game not being of appeal to the Hardcore gamer is that it has no redeeming features as a game. Some ‘casual’ games will undoubtedly fall into this category and would be found on any system.

What is a Hardcore Gamer?
What should a Hardcore gamer really be? It would ideally be someone dedicated to computer gaming in all forms, knowing gaming lore and the appreciation of games history, having played many of the platforms which games have been created for. They would have a great knowledge of all things gaming, including release dates, composers, games developers.

Hardcore gamers would devote a significant amount of their time and money in gaming and would ensure that all their games are completed as thoroughly as possible. They would play games all their spare time.

Maybe even this isn't enough. There are probably scales of Hardcore gamer from those that have families and play only a little but still keep up with all the gaming knowledge to those whose whole life revolves around games.

The point I'm trying to make is that asking 'what is a Hardcore gamer?' is pretty pointless as there isn't really any such thing, it's a phrase set up to be used by the media in order to label people for their own ends.

So, in other words, it's a type of pidgeon-holing and one that doesn't really work. As with any stereotype there will be those who fit the bill exactly, but most of us would argue at least one of the points above.

Next time you read an article on Hardcore Gamers, think about the agenda this article is trying to push and what the phrase Hardcore gamers should really mean, because it doesn't really mean a lot to me...
Fri 16/01/09 at 13:53
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
Very interesting post pb.

I like to think of myself as a gamer, not so much as hardcore, but just as a serious gamer.

You've made a whole handful of valid points, one or two that I could slightly say are a bit harsh, but I agree mainly with what you have written.

I may have been skewed when it comes to my interest in games - always had a fondness of gaming, but it seriously took off when I started working for GAME. I think the ins-and-outs of the gaming world are thrust upon you whether or not you are aware of it. You sub-consciously know release dates, whats coming soon and the relative success of each game title or console. Since leaving, I have noticed my knowledge has slipped incredibly.

I still bias one console to the other, but don't look down on people's choices. I hated the PS3 for it's lack of decent titles, but now it has taken time to establish, I have considered getting one (even if it is just to try Little Big Planet). I've always considered a Wii, but money issues/space issues have limited me in buying one. I still, however, look to see what is about across the market.

I think there are such things as hardcore gamers, but nowhere near as many as what the media portrays. I'd take them as being somebody that just lives for games - knows the ins and outs of most of them, cross-genre, cross-platform. One that absorbs all his or her time. Dressing up as characters whilst playing, downloading the soundtracks, buying nearly all new releases and the related merchandise. We are talking a few hundred around the world, if that.

The best thing for so-called "hardcore" gamers that we hear about in the media, is to just treat it as a serious hobby. Do other things. being branded as a hardcore gamer might make you think that you sound impressive, but generally...it's not an attractive trait!
Sat 17/01/09 at 19:54
Regular
"Monochromatic"
I think "Old school" is probably a more accurate name. The people who actually liked games that couldn't be completed in a weekend.
Tue 20/01/09 at 13:16
"possibly impossible"
But then "Old School/Skool" would imply they've been around a while. I think there can be newer gamers who are just as into their games but haven't touched a SNES or weren't even around when the PS1 came out (which just makes me feel really old!)
Tue 20/01/09 at 19:07
Regular
Feeling old when current gamers may not have touched a SNES?

Tue 20/01/09 at 21:09
Regular
PB stated he felt old in his message below...I made a point of mentioning an older system than the SNES to show my age...atleast in terms of gaming
Tue 20/01/09 at 21:34
"possibly impossible"
Oh yes, I've been there too, ZX81 onwards. BBC Bs at secondary school in the library and a new Spectrum 48k with lovely rubber keys for my 12th birthday (from Boots of all places!)
Tue 20/01/09 at 22:21
Regular
"Monochromatic"
pb wrote:
> But then "Old School/Skool" would imply they've been
> around a while. I think there can be newer gamers who are just
> as into their games but haven't touched a SNES or weren't even
> around when the PS1 came out (which just makes me feel really
> old!)

I wouldnt call them old school. I'm on about the people who were into gaming before it hit the mainstream with the PSOne, or if you want to go further the commodore and amiga brigade.
I think the BBC Acorn or something was the first machine i had a go on while i was in school. First machine i owned was the Atari 2600, piece of crap really, couldnt find the games for it but it was a start. Always wanted a Commodore. My friends had one and i loved Spy Vs Spy but we could never afford anything like that.
Wed 21/01/09 at 03:04
Regular
"Mooching around"
No games should be more than 16 bit imo :)

Ever heard through the fire and flames in 8bit? It's beautiful, listen
Tue 27/01/09 at 15:43
"possibly impossible"
Hah. There are some good 8-bit remakes of recent games as well online.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.