GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Was the Pre-order system a Scam?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 25/01/01 at 13:03
Regular
So many people have criticised the Pre-order system that Sony setup, but personally I think that I worked really well. I didn't have to queue up overnight. All I had to do was fill in a form on the 7th september and turn up on the 24th november to pick it up. Easy!
Thu 25/01/01 at 13:03
Regular
"Complete Banker"
So many people have criticised the Pre-order system that Sony setup, but personally I think that I worked really well. I didn't have to queue up overnight. All I had to do was fill in a form on the 7th september and turn up on the 24th november to pick it up. Easy!
Thu 25/01/01 at 13:10
Regular
"not dead"
I don't think that it was a scam. Sony knew that they'd only have limited supplies, due to part shortages (not wholly their fault), so the pre-order system allowed those that really wanted one the chance to put their names down.

There weren't too many disappointed people on this forum, and any screw ups seemed to be down to the individual shops (Woolworths was it Kieran?) rather that Sony.

Obviously everyone would have preferred to just walk into a shop and grab one, with there being enough for everyone, but this wasn't the case, so I believe that the pre-order system was the next best thing. Certainly better than queuing outside the store on release day, hoping to get one!
Thu 25/01/01 at 14:09
Yes it was a Scam the only reason the preordering did not continue was due to Tescos importing 2500 before christmas and would or some other shop would have continued this underming of sony, but sony being Magitions suddenly cundgered thousends if not tens of thousends of consoles into high street shops one week after chistmas, months ahead of the earliest promises of "off the Shelf" PS2s.
So the question where did these consoles come from, were they to be stored in some large warehouse while the hype continued to new hights? After all in Febuary or march people there may acualy be "playable" games available and people may buy a PS2 to play these quality games rather than just have a PS2 as a "I'V got one you Havent staus Symbol". I wonder?
Thu 25/01/01 at 14:14
Regular
"Complete Banker"
100,000 's????? I don't think so!!

They're few and far between!

As for Sony - I think they knew that there weren't going to be many consoles (80,000) so decided to make it fair and do this pre-order thing.
Mon 29/01/01 at 15:35
I think the pre-order system was a scam. I ordered a PS2 before December and was told that I would recieve the machine before Christmas. I finally got the beauty on the 17th of January and was very disgusted with Sony.
I thought the whole point of the pre-order system was to ensure that every one who ordered a PS2 would get one on launch day instead of queuing in the shops.
This was at first a good idea but Sony could not deal with the demand for PS2 and failed to deal with the great demand.
I finally got the console and it is brilliant. SSX and Tekken Tag are fantastic, I can't wait for Gran Turismo 3 and Metal Gear Solid 2.
Cheers, anyone got any thoughts on the pre-order system.
Mon 29/01/01 at 17:26
"High polygon count"
> I thought the whole point of the
> pre-order system was to ensure that every one who ordered a PS2
> would get one on launch day instead of queuing in the shops.

Depends when you pre-ordered. If you were up early on 7th September last year, and got one of the first batch of forms, you had a very good chance of getting your machine before Xmas, but it was never 100% guaranteed.

If you pre-ordered later, from the 2nd or subsequent batch of forms, you would have been very lucky to get one before Xmas.

Even if you did get one of the first batch of forms, it was still highly dependant on your chosen retailer sending off the forms promptly, and not waiting until they were all completed to save postage by sending them off together.
Mon 29/01/01 at 19:15
Regular
"~SRS~humpo"
filled in my pre order form on 7th sept and got a machine on launch day....no scam there me thinks.i dont think sony set out to con people i think they just made a big error in judgment
Mon 29/01/01 at 20:57
"High polygon count"
Same here, humpo.

It seems a lot of people assumed that a pre-order form guaranteed them a launch-day PS2. This was not the case, though, and it said so clearly on the pre-order form itself.
Tue 30/01/01 at 12:09
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Couldnt be bothered with pre-ordering one, happened to be in Tesco in Peterborough, lined up for 2 hrs and came away with one before Xmas.

I couldnt care less if Sony scammed anyone or not, I got a PS2 and that's all there is to it for me.

I was quite happy to wait, it's only a games console, not the solution to the world's problems.

You wanna know the funny thing? A nice shiny PS2, and I play WWF Smackdown 2 the most.
Still, nice to have to option of playing a couple of decent PS2 titles.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.