GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Man of the match: Graham Poll (Arsenal)"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 13/04/03 at 15:41
Regular
Er what was he doing? he had a good match apart from that five minutes where he reffed as well as Uriah Rennie with a bag over his head.

Sheff utd can feel pretty cheated as they had the better of the chances and surprisingly the play. Good save from seaman though. Jammy bloody arsenal.
Mon 14/04/03 at 01:08
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
Well I misread what you said it is late, but thanks for the English Lesson!

> The referee deemed the supposed push - the reason Allison went to
> ground - not to be a foul, and in my opinion (as well as pretty much
> ALL of the pundits) it wasn't. There was no push, as has just been
> shown clearly in the MOTD highlights.

Well, it looked like a push and even if it wasn't - there was a kick and it was a clear free kick whether or not he stayed on his feet!

>Unless a referee thinks that a player is seriously injured, he does not have the right to stop the game.

Well the second one was hardly a 'serious injury' was it? just a tug on a Sheff Utd player, yet he still stopped the game for that - inconsistancy and very poor refereeing.
Mon 14/04/03 at 00:31
"High polygon count"
Absolu† Neó wrote:
> Actually they CAN complain about that - why should they kick the ball
> out of play when Arsenal didn't?

Have you actually read and digested what I said? I don't think you have, because what you've said makes no sense!

What I said was that, on two occasions, SHEFFIELD didn't kick the ball out when SHEFFIELD players were down injured; so they can't complain about Arsenal not doing it.

With that in mind, what you've just said amounts to: "Arsenal didn't kick the ball out when a Sheffield player was injured, so why should Sheffield kick it out when a Sheffield player was injured?"

Clearly it would be in their own interest to put the ball out if one of their own players were injured.

Of course, if I had said, "Sheffield didn't kick the ball out when an Arsenal player was injured," then your statement might have made sense. But I didn't, and it doesn't!

So, in the simplest terms: SHEFFIELD can't expect Arsenal to put the ball out for an 'injured' SHEFFIELD player, if SHEFFIELD won't put the ball out for an injured SHEFFIELD player!

> But anyway that doesn't matter - a clear push and a kick in the
> backside from Campbell on Allison is a foul and Graham Poll should
> have stopped play and given Sheff Utd a free kick

The referee deemed the supposed push - the reason Allison went to ground - not to be a foul, and in my opinion (as well as pretty much ALL of the pundits) it wasn't. There was no push, as has just been shown clearly in the MOTD highlights. Campbell's hands were up as Allison backed in, but there was clearly no push, as his arms never moved away from his chest!

The kick in the backside started out as a dig for the ball, and wouldn't have happened if Allison had stood his ground and not been trying for a soft free kick. Campbell wasn't expecting Allison to mysteriously crumple in a heap in front of him!

> and also letting play carry on when a foul is committed and a player is
> down injured and then stopping play when it happens 5 mins later... WTF?

To his credit, I've just seen that Poll explained his decision in an interview after the game. Unless a referee thinks that a player is seriously injured, he does not have the right to stop the game.

Poll didn't believe Allison was injured (a given, considering he threw himself to the ground), and he clearly demonstrated that by going off and coming straight back on!
Sun 13/04/03 at 23:50
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> two occasions later in the game when Sheffield players were down
> So really, they can't complain about that.

Actually they CAN complain about that - why should they kick the ball out of play when Arsenal didn't?

But anyway that doesn't matter - a clear push and a kick in the backside from Campbell on Allison is a foul and Graham Poll should have stopped play and given Sheff Utd a free kick, it shouldn't even come down to "why didn't Arsenal kick the ball out"

>I've thought Poll was a prat for ages

Indeed - The thing that astounds me is that Graham Poll is meant to be the 'best english referee" hence he represented our country in the World Cup yet he can't make simple decisions like give a drop ball for getting his backside in the way and also letting play carry on when a foul is committed and a player is down injured and then stopping play when it happens 5 mins later... WTF?
Sun 13/04/03 at 22:38
"High polygon count"
lalakersrule wrote:
> 3) And Arsenal not kicking the ball out when a player was down
> injured. They had the chance to kick it out and i bet if it was Vieria
> or one of theirs down on the floor they'd have been yelling to the
> Sheff United players to kick it out.

Maybe, maybe not. It was quite telling later, though, that there were two occasions later in the game when Sheffield players were down injured while Sheffield were in possession, and THEY didn't kick the ball out. So really, they can't complain about that.

Even Hansen said that unless there was a serious injury, few if any teams would have kicked the ball out under those circumstances.

The real controversy was Poll's body check. But then, while you could say that he could have - maybe - given a drop-ball, there was no precedent for doing so. The ref is "part of the pitch" during the game. Give a drop-ball for today's incident, and - in my opinion - you then have to consider doing the same every time a ball ricochet's off of a ref in other games.

Even as an Arsenal fan, while I'm obviously happy that we won, I'd rather we won without controversial incidents as it spoils the victory. Arsenal were well below-par today; Sheffield gave us a hell of a game, and I give them a lot of credit for that.

But none of this changes the fact that I've thought Poll was a prat for ages - as have most Arsenal fans - and today the evidence was there for all to see. I'd already yelled at the TV three times for him to "get the .... out of the way" before the collision happened. The only real difference today was that Arsenal had the benefit of his c***-up, when we're usually on the receiving end! :-)
Sun 13/04/03 at 21:08
Regular
Thats the worst i seen arsenal play in ages.

True, they had them pillocks Wiltord and Jeffers up front, but they've done the business against better teams in the previous rounds.
Sun 13/04/03 at 17:59
Regular
"Proud PS2+GC Owner"
Sheffield United manager Neil Warnock branded referee Graham Poll after his side's FA Cup semi-final defeat to Arsenal.

Warnock was furious with the Tring official after he failed to penalise Sol Campbell and then collided with Blades midfielder Michael Tonge in the build-up to Freddie Ljungberg's winner.

And Warnock, who felt there was "no justice" for his industrious side, accused Poll of being the centre of attention at Old Trafford.

Warnock said: "It's my pet subject, referees. I am disappointed with refs. I shouldn't say what I feel but he [Poll] was their best midfielder in the goal.

"He [Poll] loved every minute of it. He smiled so much, he obviously enjoyed that performance.

"The game was one-sided. We can't do it all. We need help from other people. There was no justice. We worked hard without the help of the ref.

"I wished they'd have scored three or four and I'd not have been able to complain. It was an absolute disgrace."

I think Warnock is spot on, Poll was an absolute disgrace, he should have blown for the foul as it was a foul, i think refs are getting worser every game.
Sun 13/04/03 at 15:52
Regular
Arsenal played on because the ref said play on.. they probably taught allison was getting up because they thought he went down softly.
Sun 13/04/03 at 15:50
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Obviously he felt that the players weren't fouling enough so decided to show them how it was done, bloody idiot. Not often you get not 1, not 2 but 3 controversies surrounding a goal.

1) Was a foul in the first place. Allison may have gone down a bit too easy but still a push in the back, then a kick in the bottom just to make sure he stayed down from Campbell

2) Poll decided he was going to show off for a NHL team and show off his body checking abilities on Tonge

3) And Arsenal not kicking the ball out when a player was down injured. They had the chance to kick it out and i bet if it was Vieria or one of theirs down on the floor they'd have been yelling to the Sheff United players to kick it out.

People may say that Man United usually have a 12th man out there helping them but at least he doesn't go around fouling the opposition for them so they can score.

Other than that fantastic save by Seaman i have to admit. Just a shame he couldn't perform those sort of heroics in the world cup.
Sun 13/04/03 at 15:47
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
Make that 3-0.
As soon as I posted, the scored.
Again.
Sun 13/04/03 at 15:46
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
What's Graham Poll done now?
I couldn't watch the match, because up here in Bonnie Scotland, we're getting Rangers/Dundee Utd.
It's 2-0 to Rangers at half time for those who want to know.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.