GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Laptop graphics cards"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 11/04/03 at 17:47
Regular
I've been looking at purchasing a laptop, and at present it seems that you cant get one with a graphics card with more than 64mb of ram. Can the graphics cards be upgraded by either the manufacturer of the laptop or the end user (me)to a good 128mb graphics card. As some laptops use desktop derived graphics cards I dont see a problem. Can anyone help me?
Sat 12/04/03 at 13:18
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
Ah. good point.
Overpriced anyway :D
Sat 12/04/03 at 12:52
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Bob_The_Moose wrote:
> http://www.alienware.com

"IntelŪ PentiumŪ Processor
Each and every Area-51m system comes complete with an IntelŪ PentiumŪ Desktop Processor. Never before has a full fledged desktop processor been available in a mobile unit!"

*** do not touch ***
Sat 12/04/03 at 12:50
Regular
"bing bang bong"
And needless to say, a Laptop with a high-powered graphics card in will last about 10 minutes off the battery. Laptops aren't speed demons like desktop machines are. They pack enough punch to effectively render a GUI, and very little else.
Fri 11/04/03 at 20:14
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
If you're looking for a hardcore performance laptop you might want to look at the alienware models. Expensive, I know, but if you have the cash then I would take a look.
Very expensive though, and from a quick look at their site, it looks like you can only get the Radeon 9000's in them, which is 64meg DDR.

http://www.alienware.com
Fri 11/04/03 at 18:47
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Dude, graphics performance has absolutely bull to do with how much RAM it has. In fact, the Ti4200s with 64mb actually perform better than the 128mb versions. It's unfeasible that having more than 64mb RAM is going to improve performance, and any games that actually need that amount (none of which have actually been released yet) just aren't going to run a laptop without being really nasty anyway.
Fri 11/04/03 at 17:47
"MMMMM, Chicken"
I've been looking at purchasing a laptop, and at present it seems that you cant get one with a graphics card with more than 64mb of ram. Can the graphics cards be upgraded by either the manufacturer of the laptop or the end user (me)to a good 128mb graphics card. As some laptops use desktop derived graphics cards I dont see a problem. Can anyone help me?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.