GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Online with your Console - Gamecube Impresses"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 09/04/03 at 13:33
Regular
Nintendo managed to do what no other console manufacturer managed to do. In case nobody noticed, you can order a network adaptor for your Gamecube (they're in stock) and 'away you go' with Phantasy Online.

I say 'away you go' because nothing is that simple. Or IS it?

XBox Live got there first, with a MASSIVE marketing campaign to get users signed up, and those XBox Live kits for £39.99 were quite good including a headset, disc, 12 months' subscription and instruction manuals. But there was the smallprint: "Please be aware that high-speed cable or DSL (check with your ISP provider) is needed for Xbox Live - it’s that fast!" For most people, this didn't matter, they had cable modem or ADSL already, so for most there was no extra outlay, for some, who didn't want to disconnect their PCs from the internet there was extra outlay for Internet Connection Sharing if they didn't have a 2nd network card or they could splash out on getting a router and cables and set up a home network. And in 12 months time, there's that subscription renewal of £40 looming to continue to play online. Factor in subscription based RPGs too, and you've got quite an outlay.

PS2 are running a full Beta Test first for their Network gaming, and trials should start at the end of this week or the start of next week, alot depends on how fast Royal Mail are in shipping the Network Adaptors that just got despatched to the Trialists. The official PS2 kit will offer the same as the XBox, except in place of the Headset there's a network adaptor for the PS2. The kit costs the same, £39.99, but again there's the broadband limitation and the possibility of extra outlay should you wish to use your PC at the same time as you play your games online. But no recurring fees after 12 months, what you get in the box is all you need. And for the games that won't require subscription fees, this is great, you'll never need to pay another penny. Sony foot the bill. But of course there will be subscription based games too, around £6.00 a month for the larger RPGs that are constantly updated and so forth.

But Gamecube? Just buy a network adaptor for £34.99. No fanfares, no catches, no beta trials, no smallprint, and you can use your 56k dialup as well as broadband. Then if you grab a copy of Phantasy Star Online you've got 30 days of free online play, after which you can subscribe for £5.99 a month thereafter.

Nintendo kept things simple. That impresses. However if they charge £5.99 per month for EVERY game they release that can go online then that won't be so impressive. But credit where credit is due, they pulled off what no other console maker could do, they made going online very simple, very easy, and didn't make a huge song and dance about it.
Sat 11/10/03 at 20:49
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Theres PSO, then PSO3 exlcusive.

Online kits have been given to developers, so I imagine there are a few more in the pipeline.
Thu 09/10/03 at 01:27
Regular
If Mario Kart was online it may be different for me. LIVE however is the only way to go, top class stuff.
Thu 09/10/03 at 01:26
"I love yo... lamp."
Some times big is best. I plan on getting Live in time for PGR 2. I'll leave off of the GC adaptor for just now then/
Thu 09/10/03 at 01:23
Regular
Not that I know of. So much for those who shelled out for the adaptor!
Thu 09/10/03 at 01:17
"I love yo... lamp."
Are there anymore online Gamecube games yet? I have not been paying much attention to it.
Wed 02/07/03 at 00:40
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
You are all forgeting GC only has one online game, PSO which is available on Xbox now and was out ages ago for the DC.

All things considered, Xbox Live is the online way to go via consoles. PS2 does not offer the services of XboxLive(voice communicationa acros all games, friends list, optimatch, downloadable content), xbox also has the best selection of online games with quite a few already released and plenty up and comming which will support it.

GC still has nothing in the pipleine for online. As it stands getting online for the GC isn't a good investment as you will only be playing PSO it seams for quite some time.
Sun 18/05/03 at 01:57
Regular
Online gaming will be affordable and more profitable with the X-box 2, PS3 and Nintendo's next console...

Including the portable ones.
Thu 15/05/03 at 00:12
Regular
Blurb wrote:
> The gamecube online sounded amazing whn i first heard it but when i
> saw that u had to pay £4.99 to play PSO that put put me off

You have to pay for X box live aswell... pretty hefty if im hearing right
I prefer pc online gaming thought but the prices of computers may put of f people so console online gaming is their only choice but once u try online gaming on a decent pc you will see it's better.
Wed 14/05/03 at 22:38
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> Gamecube is getting Phantasy Star Online Episode 3 exclusive.
>
> Nuff said.
>
> Oh and Gasmask, the 56k works as well as broadband with Phantasy Star
> Online as the games are hosted by one main server. It'll be the same
> for Ep3.

Ah nice one. So maybe when they get a couple of online games that I want, I might think about it.

But heh cool.
Wed 14/05/03 at 19:49
Regular
"Yours or Mine"
The gamecube online sounded amazing whn i first heard it but when i saw that u had to pay £4.99 to play PSO that put put me off

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.