GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"RIP Dreamcast"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 23/01/01 at 21:48
Regular
as im a dreamcast owner and ps2 i have to say im slightly annoyed with sega...iv owned the machine that i payed £200 for and they go and dump me with this kit that will no longer be produced...and i also bet that they will soon concentrate on producing games for the ps2..which is good for sony but not so good for me as its £200 down the drain...not a lot of Dc games interested me only a few dcent ones came out which left me with a dc that was just gathering dust..im not abusing it im just saying that the production of major titles were released to late and the internet never really got going...sega deserve some of it but i hope they make more good games for it before the just concentrate just on the ps2...the ps2 has almost certainly won the battle now but i thought the dc would have put up more of a fight ... im now thinking of selling it and cencentrating on my ps2 because i dont have a lot of money at the moment with so many other things to pay for..im just really sad that it only really lasted over a year..good console but died way too quickly..i know the ps2 wont have the same fate but after the saturn i really thought sega would have learnt from that mistake.the dreamcast just never got going which left me disappointed as i know sega are a cool company that deserved better....RIP Sega :)
Tue 23/01/01 at 21:48
Regular
"Touched!"
as im a dreamcast owner and ps2 i have to say im slightly annoyed with sega...iv owned the machine that i payed £200 for and they go and dump me with this kit that will no longer be produced...and i also bet that they will soon concentrate on producing games for the ps2..which is good for sony but not so good for me as its £200 down the drain...not a lot of Dc games interested me only a few dcent ones came out which left me with a dc that was just gathering dust..im not abusing it im just saying that the production of major titles were released to late and the internet never really got going...sega deserve some of it but i hope they make more good games for it before the just concentrate just on the ps2...the ps2 has almost certainly won the battle now but i thought the dc would have put up more of a fight ... im now thinking of selling it and cencentrating on my ps2 because i dont have a lot of money at the moment with so many other things to pay for..im just really sad that it only really lasted over a year..good console but died way too quickly..i know the ps2 wont have the same fate but after the saturn i really thought sega would have learnt from that mistake.the dreamcast just never got going which left me disappointed as i know sega are a cool company that deserved better....RIP Sega :)
Wed 24/01/01 at 10:32
Regular
"Complete Banker"
I can't believe it!! Sega are ceasing production of the DC! They'll concentrate on software for other platforms (PS2 & X-Box, but not GC!).
They gave up a bit easily didn't they!?
Wed 24/01/01 at 13:42
>They gave up a bit easily didn't they!?

Not particually, as far back as last September at the ECTS trade show in London (where I was working as a game journalist) it was clear there were problems.

The product had already hit its decline phase and publishers were not interested investing their diminishing returns. Obviously they are keen to maximise sales and minimise costs. With SEGA set to announce losses for the 4th year running and falling interest from prospective publishers...well this has been on the cards for a while.

There are many titles still goinging through the pipeline, some of them will get canned, but unless game unit sales flatline most of them will probably get released.

Richard
Wed 24/01/01 at 14:58
Yep, it has been known for months that Sega were withdrawing from hardware production. With the DC and 5 games selling for less than £129 new in some shops I recommend flogging your DC's ASAP. Despite being an excellent machine there was little doubt that the PS2 would stamp all over it in terms of image and popularity.

Sadly the DC has died young. Long live the PS2! But then there's the X-Box.......

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.