GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"why the PS2 isn't a waste of money"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 23/01/01 at 19:41
Regular
I’m fed up with people who no nothing about games, looking at the price of the PS2 and going on an about how expensive it is, and how it is a rip off. I’ll tell you what a rip off is, going with your family to a zoo and have to pay nearly £100 to get in, and then have to pay a fortune to eat, now that’s a rip off, but this certainly ain’t. These people all say, ‘if the Dreamcast has a 128bit why are we paying double for this machine.’ Well the main reason is that the PS2 far exceeds the capabilities of what the Dreamcast can do, but mention to them about polygons and the emotion engines and they don’t understand, but it is these things that will bring the PS2 to the forefront of gaming. The games aren’t that amazing now but I seem to remember how badly Dreamcast did at the start, I mean everyone knows things take time. They don’t seem to understand that when consoles start out they are hard to program for, but when companies get to grip with the system, the games will be out of this world. It happens every time a console comes out, everyone with older systems saying that it ain’t that great, it took the Dreamcast ages to see profit, but in the end they did.

But when reviewing this piece of software consumers seem to forget that inside this mean machine is a load of extras. First one of these extras is a DVD player that is made buy Sony which is great quality (I don’t think a DC has got one of those!), and if you want to buy one made by Sony of similar stature, then you’re going to have to part with about 230 quid. But that ain’t the end of the extras that Sony has decided to package with the deal, because there is more and this is the fact it is all backwards compatible. So if you have a PlayStation and you’re getting a new PS2 sell your old one because you don’t need it, as you can use all you’re PS games on your new PS2. Then there is also the fact that because it is backwards compatible you already have a library of about a thousand games in England, plus the best ever line up of new games of any consoles in history. The price of games is pretty reasonable at £40 (same as the Dreamcast) and there are already some budget games, to get hold of. Also with titles in the near future that really show off the emotion engine’s capabilities the future of gaming on this system looks very bright. Also what people don’t seem to understand at the moment is the fact that because of its emotion engine you can do things that can’t be done on any other system. For instance a game as complex as Metal Gear Solid 2 could never go on any other console in the same way as it is the PS2, because just they don’t have enough power. I mean I have no disrespect for the Dreamcast but in the long run the games for the PS2 are going to be better because of the chips and the processing power. So in short I can play SSX, watch The Matrix and then go back to Smackdown 2 all on the same machine, that is nicely compact on my bookshelf, so isn’t NEW technology lovely.

Thu 25/01/01 at 22:07
Regular
"I like cheese"
Hmmmm...

TTT has a lot more fighters, an okay "plot", LOADS of modes, including the great Tekken Bowl mode. There are around 3 new modes.

There are a few new moves as well, and of course, the spectacular graphics.

It's close, anyway...

At the moment, it seems as though Nintendo are a little behind in the 3D Beat 'em up category.

The Japanese get it faster?? Lucky SOBs.
Thu 25/01/01 at 20:27
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
I think we should land someone in the middle...

I agree with Ant, except for one thing... TTT is not the best beat em up ever! It must be Stret Fighter 2 Turbo. If you want a 3D one, it's Soul Calibur. The mission mode is absolutely grand, and TTT has only improved graphics- not gameplay. Anyway, having played the japanese version and english of every single tekken, i can tell u that the jap version is much faster- you don't know what u're missing!

SonicRav
Tue 23/01/01 at 22:02
Regular
"I like cheese"
Okay, calm down everyone.

Although the DC did sell well at first, I get the feeling that it didn't continue to sell well, and don't most new consoles sell out first day anyway??

Anyway, what I'm getting at, is that the DC didn't sell all that well at first, due to the lack of quality games. Of course, there was Soul Caliber, and a couple of others, but like the PS2, there weren't that many. Of course, Sega have now cleared this up with some top class titles, as I'm sure the PS2 will as well.

The PS2 is more powerful, and I've played both, and even though the PS2's vram is small, I don't see that much difference. The graphics in the games are literally the same, but with the developers beginning to use the full power of the DC, and the PS2 only just starting, and with the HUGE news that Sega are dropping out in March, I get the picture that the PS2 will end up having games with better graphics, but that's to be expected.

Okay, the PS2 is hard to program for. But it seems that most companies have overcome this, and with what we've heard of games like MGS2, it does seem that developers are finally getting to grips with the PS2.

The DVD on the PS2 has supposedly had problems. These problems have been well inflated, as pretty much everyone I have spoken to has said that the DVD is great. I have had the same experience. The DVD played fine on my PS2, although of course, it's not as good as a £500 DVD player.

Look, most people say we should choose the console with the best specs. But surely that's wrong??
I've chosen a PS2, mostly because of games like Gran Turismo 3, Metal Gear Solid 2, SSX, Tekken Tag Tournament and many others.
As you can tell, most of them are sequels from PSX games. But these are games I loved on PSX, and because they're coming to PS2, I got a PS2.

Just like people got the Dreamcast-they prefered the games on it.

People who say we should the GameCube because it has the best specs, are wrong.
In my opinion, you should the console with the games that appeal to you the most.

Thanks for reading, Ant.

PS- SonicRav, Tekken Tag Tournament is the best beat 'em up ever!! {:)
Tue 23/01/01 at 21:40
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Yeah - Sony really care for their customers.

Tue 23/01/01 at 21:31
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
The PS2 in Britain is overpriced if other countries are paying 100 pounds less per unit than ourselves... If you remember there excuse was... 'Everything in Britain is overpriced, what does it matter if this is too?'
Tue 23/01/01 at 21:26
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
I think you just about wrapped it up there sonic ;-)

Plus another 2 extras on Dreamcast for that £300 DVD package
online gaming and some games to play ;-))

Tue 23/01/01 at 19:57
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
craigie-sum wrote:
> I’m fed up with people who no nothing about games, looking at the
> price of the PS2 and going on an about how expensive it is, and how
> it is a rip off. These people all say, ‘if the Dreamcast has a
> 128bit why are we paying double for this machine.’ Well the main
> reason is that the PS2 far exceeds the capabilities of what the
> Dreamcast can do, but mention to them about polygons and the emotion
> engines and they don’t understand, but it is these things that will
> bring the PS2 to the forefront of gaming.

This is complete non-sense! The PS2 does not exceed the capabilities of the DC. Firstly, the PS2 is far more powerful, however, the on board VRAM is so small that it can't hold all the polygons that the Emotion engine can produce! In fact, only half the screen can be updayed at a time, meaning that all the processing power is wasted. In addition, many people in the industry (including head of Konami and creator of MGS and MGS2, Hido Kojima, and head of oddworl inhabitants), have said that the PS2 is too hard to program for. To take an example, Soul Calibur took less time to make than TTT, and has far more modes and levels (hundreds of missions).

The games aren’t that
> amazing now but I seem to remember how badly Dreamcast did at the
> start, I mean everyone knows things take time.

Hold on a sec! The DC sold out in america, and broke sales figures at the time. It also did extremely well over here, and games such as Sonic, Soul Calibur and NBA2k were hailed by all as truely AAA games! And the PS2 has what? A poor update of Tekken, and a slowed down, letterboxed Ridge Racer!

They don’t seem to
> understand that when consoles start out they are hard to program
> for, but when companies get to grip with the system, the games will
> be out of this world. It happens every time a console comes out,
> everyone with older systems saying that it ain’t that great, it took
> the Dreamcast ages to see profit, but in the end they did.

What planet do you come from? The DC would have been ignored if it were hard to program! Instead it uses Naomi arcade setup, with Window CE operating sytem as well and Sega own OS. The tools with it allow you to make any game easily. The PS2 has poor dev tools, and doesn't even do proper Anti Aliasing!

But
> when reviewing this piece of software consumers seem to forget that
> inside this mean machine is a load of extras. First one of these
> extras is a DVD player that is made buy Sony which is great quality
> (I don’t think a DC has got one of those!),

The DC comes with a better DVD than the PS2's for £300 (inc.). This is better than the PS2 version, as it can play all DVDs, something Sony's can't!

SonicRav
Tue 23/01/01 at 19:41
I’m fed up with people who no nothing about games, looking at the price of the PS2 and going on an about how expensive it is, and how it is a rip off. I’ll tell you what a rip off is, going with your family to a zoo and have to pay nearly £100 to get in, and then have to pay a fortune to eat, now that’s a rip off, but this certainly ain’t. These people all say, ‘if the Dreamcast has a 128bit why are we paying double for this machine.’ Well the main reason is that the PS2 far exceeds the capabilities of what the Dreamcast can do, but mention to them about polygons and the emotion engines and they don’t understand, but it is these things that will bring the PS2 to the forefront of gaming. The games aren’t that amazing now but I seem to remember how badly Dreamcast did at the start, I mean everyone knows things take time. They don’t seem to understand that when consoles start out they are hard to program for, but when companies get to grip with the system, the games will be out of this world. It happens every time a console comes out, everyone with older systems saying that it ain’t that great, it took the Dreamcast ages to see profit, but in the end they did.

But when reviewing this piece of software consumers seem to forget that inside this mean machine is a load of extras. First one of these extras is a DVD player that is made buy Sony which is great quality (I don’t think a DC has got one of those!), and if you want to buy one made by Sony of similar stature, then you’re going to have to part with about 230 quid. But that ain’t the end of the extras that Sony has decided to package with the deal, because there is more and this is the fact it is all backwards compatible. So if you have a PlayStation and you’re getting a new PS2 sell your old one because you don’t need it, as you can use all you’re PS games on your new PS2. Then there is also the fact that because it is backwards compatible you already have a library of about a thousand games in England, plus the best ever line up of new games of any consoles in history. The price of games is pretty reasonable at £40 (same as the Dreamcast) and there are already some budget games, to get hold of. Also with titles in the near future that really show off the emotion engine’s capabilities the future of gaming on this system looks very bright. Also what people don’t seem to understand at the moment is the fact that because of its emotion engine you can do things that can’t be done on any other system. For instance a game as complex as Metal Gear Solid 2 could never go on any other console in the same way as it is the PS2, because just they don’t have enough power. I mean I have no disrespect for the Dreamcast but in the long run the games for the PS2 are going to be better because of the chips and the processing power. So in short I can play SSX, watch The Matrix and then go back to Smackdown 2 all on the same machine, that is nicely compact on my bookshelf, so isn’t NEW technology lovely.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.