GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Good Old Games"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 07/01/09 at 08:11
Regular
"THFC"
Well basically, i was sitting at work thinking;

I never had my Xbox 360 from release and didnt have an Xbox, so i was thinking about all the great games i might have missed out on. So if anyone can think of some good classic games that anyone could pick it rather cheap now, then please post them on here, maybe with a small description of the game.

Don't just keep it to the Xbox because im sure some people may want older playstation games, or Gamecube games for their wii, so start posting, hopefully we will discover some good old games for us to all enjoy!
Wed 07/01/09 at 08:11
Regular
"THFC"
Well basically, i was sitting at work thinking;

I never had my Xbox 360 from release and didnt have an Xbox, so i was thinking about all the great games i might have missed out on. So if anyone can think of some good classic games that anyone could pick it rather cheap now, then please post them on here, maybe with a small description of the game.

Don't just keep it to the Xbox because im sure some people may want older playstation games, or Gamecube games for their wii, so start posting, hopefully we will discover some good old games for us to all enjoy!
Wed 07/01/09 at 11:04
Staff Moderator
"Show Me Your Moves"
Well I didn't own the Xbox or Playstation (N64/GC man myself) so I can't comment on those but I can recommend some good (if not obvious) suggestions for the GC/Wii.

Super Mario Sunshine - Was always one of my favourites, for the supposedly low quality graphics of the Gamecube the water in this game looks like, well, water. As this is a huge part of the story and game mechanics this is only a good thing. Expect to find all the little Mario cutesy elements around every corner and well worth a look if you like the series and enjoyed Galaxy or M64.

Legend of Zelda: Windwaker - Possibly my favourite game on the GC and much more enjoyable than Twilight Princess. A cartoony twist on the familiar Zelda storyline was an interesting decision certainly but is worth a look. The cel-shading isn't for everyone but fans of Phantom Hourglass will absolutely love this.

Metroid Prime - Pretty much a reboot of the series if FPS format, the fact is spawned 2 sequels speaks volumes and can probably be picked up for a couple of quid now.

Resident Evil - A remake of the original but with better graphics, more atmosphere and a few tweaks. Brought the series to a whole new generation, even if you have played the first this is definitely worth getting.

Pikmin - I dare you to play this game and not have a smile on your face, it's not possible. Basically you are a crashed astronaut who enlists the help of the local alien inhabitants by plucking them out of the ground. Use them to fight off predators and repair your ship by finding the scattered parts. Pikmin 2 was also a massively enjoyable game.
Wed 07/01/09 at 11:09
Regular
"THFC"
just reading that made me smile, some of them games are classic and if you have never played them..... well i have to ask why!?!?!?

Good start to the thread Butch - lets keep things rolling.
Wed 07/01/09 at 11:50
"possibly impossible"
Xbox games:

Crimson Skies
You just have to own this game. Still plenty of people online and one of the best flying games of all time. Online dogfights are great.

Spider-man 2
Better than the third and still holds up even though it's last gen.

Mechassault 1 and 2
The first is pure shooting, the second adds a bit more strategy and the online maps are much bigger. 2 of the games that really got me into online gaming on the Xbox.

Older 360 games:

Crackdown
Most people bought it at launch for the Halo 3 beta, but it's a good game in it's own right. Think GTA with superpowers and slightly futuristic setting. Also has online Co-op.

Earth Defence Force
Really really rubbish on first glance, but give the game a chance and treat it as a B-movie and it's brilliance soon becomes clear. Run and shoot at giant ants, giant robots and giant alien ships.

PGR3/4
2 of my all time favourite driving games. PGR3 is worth getting simply because it has some great options not found in the sequel.

Frontlines: FOW
Bit of a marmite game, you're going to either love or feel indifferent to it, but Frontlines is great for pick up and play war. Fly planes and choppers and drive loads of vehicles into battle. Might seem like Battlefield-lite but it's actually just good fun without all the faff.

Gamecube
All GC games are playable on Wii, so there are no compatibility issues.

Rogue Leader
A launch game for GC but one of the best Star Wars games ever. The first level is the Deathstar Trench run, what more do I need to say!

Pikmin 1 and 2
There is nothing like it, pure Nintendo class. Guide plant people around to fix your broken spaceship and get back home.

Luigi's Mansion
Another release game, short but sweet.

Crazy Taxi
Probably the best version of this game, basically the Dreamcast game with a few added modes. Just fun to pick up and play.

Playstation 2

ICO
Arty, breathtaking and original. Ico is a unique classic that's been crying out for a PS3 sequel

[/U]Devil May Cry[/U]
The orignal is still the best in my eyes. See where it all started.

Herdy Gurdy
Has the Fable feel to it but with herding and magic and running away from big bad wolves.
Wed 07/01/09 at 12:30
Regular
"THFC"
sounds like more great games, i will have to have a look at some of these.

Just need more money to start buying them with, are there any good old RPGs for the Xbox??
Wed 07/01/09 at 13:37
"possibly impossible"
Not sure about RPGs. PS2 seemed to have most of them in that generation.
Wed 07/01/09 at 13:43
Regular
"THFC"
yea i thought as much, not until recently have XBox begun the RPG quest for domination, which is a good thing now i have one lol
Wed 07/01/09 at 23:19
Regular
I'll try to stick to games that haven't already been mentioned...

Xbox & Xbox 360

Black
A unique and brilliant FPS game which doesn't mess around with multiplayer or fancy tricks. Excellent visuals for an Xbox original game, great story and cut scenes to bring on the feel of the atmosphere. I just feel that by not letting you skip cutscenes first time you view them spoils the game should you ever feel the need to restart the game...

Halo: Combat Evolved
Microsoft's Mario. Fight for Earth against the alien Covenant forces in an ongoing war that could see the end of the galaxy. Although let down by a little repetition in the latter stages, this is an Xbox classic that all Xbox or Xbox 360 owners should atleast play.

Halo 2
Master Chief is back for another round against the Covenant. Improved visuals, fantastic story and less of the repetition that featured heavily in the original make this a brilliant sequel to the original. Excellent multiplay on Xbox Live too - though surpassed by Halo 3 on the Xbox 360.

Jet Set Radio Future
This game was the original reason for my decision to purchase an Xbox. Mine came with this and Sega GT bundled together on the same disc with a load of additional demos. The sequel to a fantastic Dreamcast game that brought us Cel-Shading style graphics. Easy control system and great gameplay saw you skating around large arenas spraying grafitti to random music. Very challenging. Very good fun.

Rainbow Six 3
I was never a fan of the Rainbow Six games before this. The challenging single player was great but the real fun was taking the game online with some mates. Oddly atmospheric, challenging gameplay and brilliantly amusing.

Xiii
Highly under-rated, this fantastic FPS shooter didn't sell too well due to its unique cel-shaded style of gameplay. Like TimeSplitters 2, it was a brilliant classic of its generation that played really well. This was let down moreso by short-sighted gamers who don't give games a chance if the graphics don't look real. Great cast of voice-actors, great story (based on a French graphic novel* I believe) and amazingly good gameplay make this a must-have title for either Xbox, GameCube or PS2.

GameCube/Wii

Baten Kaitos
Although will look a little dated now, Baten Kaitos was a great GameCube exclusive RPG that saw you battling with magic cards. Not an original idea, admittedly, but the top trumps/pokémon style battling system was a bit more clever than just selecting a card from a deck. Great story, brilliant music and very enjoyable. One I intend to go back to and complete soon.

Resident Evil 4
Arguably the most enjoyable Resident Evil game in the series. This game took the series in a new direction taking away the fixed camera angles and replacing them with a near-first person view. This allowed for a more fast-paced action approach instead of the old way of trying to work out if your character is facing the right way to attack the hordes of zombies. Resi 4 features some of the best visuals for a GameCube game, if not for the entire '128' generation of console games, and is certainly worth a purchase of either the original or wii versions. It is also the game that started the 'Leon Complex'**

Skies of Arcadia: Legends
Although I preferred the Dreamcast original, Skies of Arcadia is a legendary RPG. Very blocky in graphics, but great in gameplay, it is a Final Fantasy-esque RPG featuring temple exploration and flying sailing boats. Very quickly you'll be drawn into the story of Fina, Aika and Vyse's journey through the world as they attempt to save the world from an evil empire hell bent on conquest. Skies' has some of the best style moments, amazing soundtrack and an unusual approach to battleships as the game progresses. Definately a classic. I hope SEGA don't completely forget the franchise.

Sonic Mega Collection Also on Xbox as Sonic Mega Collection Plus
All the Mega Drive Sonic games and more playable from one disc. Worth it alone for the original Sonic the Hedgehog game. Why pay for seperate downloads on Wii's Virtual Console and Xbox Live Arcade when you can get the whole collection for a very reasonable price?

Soul Calibur II
Yes, SCII is available on Xbox and PS2 as well as the GameCube, but to me the GameCube version was always the one to get. The Legend of Zelda's Link appears as a playable character making this a must for Nintendo fans. Fight as Link in beat-em-up style with great visuals and a decent version of the Zelda theme to back it. Sure, Darth Vader and Yoda are alright, but playing as Link in the SC universe is so much better.

Super Monkey Ball
Unique Arcade-style platforming at its best. An original idea...tilt the world, not the character to control your Monkey encased in a clear plastic ball. Progress through ever increasingly difficult stages in a race against time to collect bananas and reach the goals. The original is arguably better than its sequel, and a million times more fun than the Super Monkey Ball Adventure game. Not to mention it has great party games too. A must for GameCube owners.

Timesplitters 2
This is the closest to Rare's Goldeneye 007 game that you're ever likely to get as a playable game on the current generation of consoles. Created by some of the staff that left Rare to form Free Radical, TimeSplitters 2 features excellent gameplay, including audio and visuals, for a GameCube game, and also features monkeys! The game feels like Goldeneye but doesn't quite have that wow factor that the N64 classic produced. Okay, so its already been done on the N64, but re-using an excellent formula is never a bad idea. Vastly superior to TimeSplitters (3): Future Perfect.

Viewtiful Joe
Henshin-A-Go-Go Baby! (I hope I remembered that correctly) Play a side scrolling puzzle-beat-em-up adventure that takes place in the setting of a b-movie gone wrong. This is retro-gaming with a modern twist and uses movie-effects such as bullet-time in a unique way to add depth to a classic formula. Definately worth a go on the GameCube or Wii.

I'm sure there are many other classics I've missed, but these are ones I remembered now that I thought deserved a mention.

*That's a fancy term for comic book to you and me.
**Leon gets quickly attached to character 'Mike' late in the game. You only know Mike for a few seconds before he is killed to which Leon shouts, 'Mike! Nooooooo!' If you've played the game, you'll know how amusing the Leon Complex is and how many other games/movies feature similar events...
Wed 07/01/09 at 23:46
"possibly impossible"
I've got Soul Calibur II on Xbox for similar reasons, mainly because I love Spawn as a character and used to collect the comics.
Thu 08/01/09 at 08:26
Regular
"THFC"
Skies of Arcadia, good game. Really loved playing through it. Would recommend it to anyone with a Wii or Gamecube!

I do often forget how many great games the gamecube had, i really enjoyed it as a console and think it sometimes get overlooked by people.

This thread is going better than expected lol!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.