GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"About job pay"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 03/04/03 at 20:09
Regular
I'm considering looking into working during the summer for extra cash but i know i should get about £3.50 per hour at least but then do you get paid monthly, and how much income tax and national insurance is deducted from it? And i am asking about the people who work in retail.
I'm only asking this cos i owe some money and i want to at least save up for the future and spend some of it...
Thu 03/04/03 at 20:09
Regular
I'm considering looking into working during the summer for extra cash but i know i should get about £3.50 per hour at least but then do you get paid monthly, and how much income tax and national insurance is deducted from it? And i am asking about the people who work in retail.
I'm only asking this cos i owe some money and i want to at least save up for the future and spend some of it...
Thu 03/04/03 at 20:12
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Whether you get paid monthly or weekly depends on the employer, tax isnt deducted until you earn over a certain amount of money, i think you get about 4 grand tax free. Dont know if you will pay national insurance or not.
Thu 03/04/03 at 20:14
Regular
Yea insurance depends on where you work i think... but in retail i dont think much accidents can happen only if you make it happen.
Thu 03/04/03 at 21:33
Regular
"Here I am - TAKE ME"
Sorry but National insurance is a standard rate that doesn't vary at all in the work environment. If you earn enough then you pay NI, there aren't any exceptions or rate changes depending on the job. There is a minimum that you must earn before NI is deducted from your wages, which I'm afraid I cant remember.
On the Tax front you should be on a basic 461L tax code, presuming this is your only job. When you start you should sign a P46 or supply a P45 if you have one. A 461L code indicates that the first £4610 or thereabouts of your annual earnings wont be taxed. If you earn under the allowance then no tax will be taken.
ALWAYS check the tax code on your payslip - its very important. If it says "BR" and this is your only or MAIN job, then have a word with the payroll department. BR means "Basic rate" which is 22% of all your earnings, with no allowance. You should NOT be on a BR code unless this is a second job.
I would imagine that at £3.50 an hour, unless you work hugely long shifts you won't be having much tax or NI deducted.
Any other problems feel free to ask. I do this all for a living and BY GOD is it boring!

§n][pe® wrote:
> Yea insurance depends on where you work i think... but in retail i
> dont think much accidents can happen only if you make it happen.
Thu 03/04/03 at 21:42
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
I got £6.11 an hour two years back working over the summer...

It has been upped to £6.51 this year!

I'm in the money!

Whoooooooo!
Thu 03/04/03 at 22:28
Regular
What first time you worked in that type of job?
Thu 03/04/03 at 22:34
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
At £3.50 an hour budget on taking home £3.00 an hour and you'll be OK. (I think it'll work out at around exactly £3.05 an hour after tax, but £3.00 is a nice round figure).
Thu 03/04/03 at 22:35
Regular
"Festivus!"
I think i'll ask my local Game and Gamestation if they need any helping this summer...
Thu 03/04/03 at 22:35
Regular
Well mate of mine has about £3.50 working for currys :S but could be better if they decide to pay more during the summer.
Thu 03/04/03 at 22:37
Regular
"Festivus!"
§n][pe® wrote:
> Well mate of mine has about £3.50 working for currys :S but
> could be better if they decide to pay more during the summer.

Why would they pay more? It's a dry season in retail...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.