GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Quick Question (kinda) about network cable length"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 02/04/03 at 21:02
Regular
I'm setting up an Ethernet network in my house involving a:

Linksys Etherfast Cable/DSL Router (BEFSR41)
My PC with 10/100
Mum's Laptop with same

but....

What's the length restriction on CAT5 Network Cables before they result in loss of performance? 10 metres? Just want to be sure on this before mum ends up putting her laptop somewhere else 30 metres away.
Fri 04/04/03 at 17:34
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
And make sure you feed it a daily diet of fruit and veg, clean it out regularly, and give it attention.
Thu 03/04/03 at 17:59
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Also keep it away from power lines, as electrons and protons will jump out of the power cable and annihilate your input packets in your network cable!!!!!!!!!!!!!111
Thu 03/04/03 at 17:49
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
You may find coiling it also causes issues.
Thu 03/04/03 at 10:19
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Just make sure you don't bend the CAT5 cable a lot, and it should run to at least 100m, probably longer if it's good stuff.
Wed 02/04/03 at 21:25
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Cheers chaps :)

This is the first time I've set up a home network in my life, I know absolutely nothing about MAC/NAT/DNS and all the other three letter abbreviations floating about, so I'm sure I'll have some more questions later on...
Wed 02/04/03 at 21:22
Regular
"hockeyphotos.com"
Cat 5 cable can support 100-BaseT to 100m. The ports in our office run back to a server room on the floor below - many machine-to-machine runs are around 50m.

Chris.
Wed 02/04/03 at 21:16
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
Quite long as far as I know.

I've heard of people getting a bit of cat5 and running it down and along their garden to a friends house in order to share broadband connections...
Wed 02/04/03 at 21:02
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
I'm setting up an Ethernet network in my house involving a:

Linksys Etherfast Cable/DSL Router (BEFSR41)
My PC with 10/100
Mum's Laptop with same

but....

What's the length restriction on CAT5 Network Cables before they result in loss of performance? 10 metres? Just want to be sure on this before mum ends up putting her laptop somewhere else 30 metres away.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.