GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"WARNING: Wash your clothes now!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 31/12/08 at 11:58
Regular
Apparently it's bad luck to wash your clothes on New Years Day so you should probably get all your washing done now. Something about washing a family member away or something I don't know.

I know some of these superstitions are silly but it's not too much trouble. Another one I heard about, my brother has to give my aunt an uncle some money because they gave him a knife for Christmas. Something about cutting the friendship between them.

So anyway, do you believe in superstitions? Would you happily walk under a ladder? Smash a mirror or let a black cat cross your path?
Thu 12/02/09 at 21:51
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
pb wrote:
> defying the Holy Trinity.

It's my favourite Sunday activity.

Hmm... I guess now Alfonse is on holiday, my statements are becoming more like his to cover.

I do enjoy looking at superstition, I think it goes hand in hand with things that are supernatural. Whether or not it is to be believed is anyone's guess, but I think I'll just avoid the black cats, hold onto a rabbits foot and never say "Bloody Mary" three times in a mirror just to stay on the safe side.

Does aybody know why it's lucky to raise your legs off the floor of the car/bus when you travel over railway lines? Somebody used to do it on my way to school when I was younger ad was told it was lucky. Have been doing it myself for years (but not when driving) but not the foggiest why.
Thu 12/02/09 at 13:29
"possibly impossible"
hippyman wrote:
> pb wrote:
> usually comes from religious belief or linked to spirits or
> something, so the excuse that it has to come from somewhere
> doesn't really hold up.
>
> But the whole idea of spirits/religious beliefs would have had
> to come from somewhere also. Unless Moses/Dhali Lama were
> potheads i their youth and decided the world need more things for
> people to fight about.
>
> Some of it is common sense, as El Viking said, walk uner a
> ladder, something could fall off and hit you etc.

Walking under a ladder or under any object that forms a triangle was originally seen as defying the Holy Trinity.
Wed 11/02/09 at 19:13
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
pb wrote:
> usually comes from religious belief or linked to spirits or
> something, so the excuse that it has to come from somewhere
> doesn't really hold up.

But the whole idea of spirits/religious beliefs would have had to come from somewhere also. Unless Moses/Dhali Lama were potheads i their youth and decided the world need more things for people to fight about.

Some of it is common sense, as El Viking said, walk uner a ladder, something could fall off and hit you etc.
Thu 01/01/09 at 23:08
"possibly impossible"
usually comes from religious belief or linked to spirits or something, so the excuse that it has to come from somewhere doesn't really hold up.

My mum is very superstitious (Irish blood i guess) but I don't have any truck with it. I remember my mum never went up or down the stairs when we came the other way as it was unlucky to cross on the stairs. Bit buggered if you work anywhere that has a staircase and more than a few people then!
Thu 01/01/09 at 13:31
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
It is actually unlucky to walk under a ladder where I work. Mainly because it means you're quite likely to have something lighting-related fall on your head.

And then the Student Union, EU, and the entire readership of The Guardian will make us wear silly helmets. :)
Thu 01/01/09 at 13:28
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
Similar to suni, I already have the worst luck...but it could have come down to the fact I stood on my mirror once and cracked it. Still have it though a few years on with the large crack in it...

Maybe I should throw it away!

But back on the original question, yeah, I guess I am superstitious...the idea had to come from somewhere, didn't it?
Wed 31/12/08 at 13:17
Regular
"I may return"
I have walked under a ladder, smashed a mirror and let a black cat cross my path. All on the same day, I think. I was already unlucky, don't think anything change tbh.
Wed 31/12/08 at 11:58
Regular
Apparently it's bad luck to wash your clothes on New Years Day so you should probably get all your washing done now. Something about washing a family member away or something I don't know.

I know some of these superstitions are silly but it's not too much trouble. Another one I heard about, my brother has to give my aunt an uncle some money because they gave him a knife for Christmas. Something about cutting the friendship between them.

So anyway, do you believe in superstitions? Would you happily walk under a ladder? Smash a mirror or let a black cat cross your path?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.