GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Elephant - track by track"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 01/04/03 at 13:00
Regular
Got the new White Stripes album this morning, I shall update you on it track by track as I'm listening to it, purely because it's raining outside and I'm bored.

Seven Nation Army - excellent song, great bassline and infectious melody, one of my favourite White Stripes songs ever, actually. Try not humming the bassline for hours after hearing it just once. Like something out the old West.

Black Math - cool riffs, sounds like something off the first album, which I preferred to White Blood Cells. Sounds very raw.

There's No Home For You Here - not heard them do anything like this before, a bit more produced than their songs normall are, with a harmonic chorus. Sounds good though, liking this album a lot already.

I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself - think this is a cover of a Dusty Springfield song, isn't it? Not bad, but not the song I thought it was gonna be.

In The Cold, Cold Night - it's Meg, singing! Crazy! She's actually got a really fragile, delicate voice and it suits this song perfectly. Very nice.

I Want To Be The Boy To Warm Your Mothers Heart - very simple chord structure and even a bit of piano on it too *shock*. Nice slide guitar too. Sounds like many other WS songs though. Jack's voice is really quite wonderful, I used to think he couldn't sing for toffee but now I realise it suits their style down to a tee.

You've Got Her In Your Pocket - acoustic number, again very simple structure but that's what makes them so good. Just a guitar and Jack's voice, no drums, strings anything - like it. The lyrics are a bit suspect though, like something you'd write in 6th form (or indeed, the Life forum) Really liked that one.

Ball and Biscuit - A bit more rocky this one. Still waiting for it to kick in, less balls out rock and roll on this record so far. Actually, here we go - much better! The Stripes go electric again! This one rocks! The thing with the WS is that all the songs sound so good you'd swear you've heard them somewhere before, but you haven't - they're just so catchy and melodious that they stick in your head immediately. This is the best track so far. I urge you to buy this album for this one track alone - RRROOOOCK!

The Hardest Button to Button - thumping bassline to start, heard this one somewhere before I think. A bit faster, lyrics still suck though, he could be making them up as he goes along. A bit 80's this one, loving it though. Sounds a bit like Led Zep, excellent pounding beat and minimal little guitar riff. "The Hardest Bu'on ta Bu'on, ah oh" Another high point, of which there have been many.

Little Acorns - Starts with a US spoken word ad-type thing, then kicks into some serious wailing guitar, just how I love it! Simple chord progressions, up and down the scale with plenty of distortion and Jack going "Ah ah ah owwww" Another good 'un.

Hypnotize - Good start, thunking guitar, nice and fast. "I wanna hypnotize you baby on the telephone yeah". A nice fast short one like Broken Bricks or Hotel Yorba, hasn't been many of them on this album so far. Amazing how they get such a massive sound out of one guitar, a drum kit and Jack's voice. "I wanna hold your little hand if I could be so bold" Better lyrics

The Air Near My Fingers - This is just getting better and better. The lyrics are much faster in this un, again just overlaying simple chords and a standard 4/4 drum beat, but it's leagues above other over-produced guitar bands. Holy crap, that's an organ! And it sounds cool! They're like, using more than two instruments at once! Brave new worlds! Really quite fantastic this one, the organ works brilliantly. A much more mature song than I'm used to hearing from them.

Girl, You Have No Faith In Medicine - exactly the kind of song I wish I could write. I think I'm in love with this album. First time I've ever heard them use a tamborine too. Da da daa daaa, corking. This would sound awesome live.

Well It's True That We Love One Another - Whoah, this one sounds like the Carpenters! Features Holly Golightly, it's a country song sang as a threesome and features the line "Well Jack I love you like a little brother." I think this is them taking the mick. Kinda cute really. "You know I gave that horse a carrot so it'd break your foot" Quite bizarre, but also quite lovely in that lovely twee way that they do. Jolly good.

Well, that's about an hour of the finest music I've heard so far this year. While I'm loathed to agree with the NME, I think they're incessant red-faced ranting over this record is fairly justified - a brilliant mix of electric and acoustic songs, much more rounded that White Blood Cells. I simply insist you buy this record if you call yourself a music lover. And with that, I'm going to play it again.

Peace
Thu 15/05/03 at 19:32
Regular
Brought this album the other day and it is frankly fantastic.

Catchy riffs, raw and well, pleasing to the ears. But I want to know is why is the name of the album colored differently on the back: -

ElEphant

The e's are highlighted in red. As well as the songs with the number 3 in them. Can i ask why?

Fave songs, in this order: -

There's no home for you here
In the cold, cold night
Little Acorns
Girl you have no faith in medicine
Seven Nation Army
Hypnotize
Black Math
I want to be the boy to warm your mothers heart
I just don't know what to do with myself
The air near my fingers
Ball and Biscuit
Well its true that we love one another
The Hardest button to button
You've got her in yur pocket

Ah heck I love them all.

Great album.
Sun 20/04/03 at 13:15
Regular
"Ghost Mutt"
It's probably been said but did you know that no recording equipment ws used on the album that was made after 1963? That's the way to do it.

Their next album will also be their last. Or so Mr. White says.
Sun 20/04/03 at 13:11
Regular
"Ghost Mutt"
Me too
Sat 19/04/03 at 23:09
Regular
I've heard Seven Nation Army and I think its great!

The bassline sticks in your head though, and i'll have to get one of those guitar pedals for me guitar, I wanna play bass on a normal guitar!

Gonna buy this album in the very near future.
Sat 19/04/03 at 22:21
Regular
"Ghost Mutt"
Whitestripes wrote:
> I like Seven Nation Army but I don't see what's so great about it.
> It's kind of boring if you ask me.
>
> I don't like Black Math. Not yet anyway.

You fool
Sat 19/04/03 at 22:19
Regular
"Ghost Mutt"
"Jack White is the new Elvis"

Apparently

Perhaps Goatboy has a point but then all of Exile On Main Street is ripped off blues riffs and it is still seen as one of the greatest albums of all time.

Anyone at the Brixton gig?
Fri 18/04/03 at 22:33
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Excellent album

I was quite sceptical(sp) of it before but it's great, even if there is a blatant copy of Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground on it.
Fri 18/04/03 at 21:24
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
Well after seeing this album mentioned so much on these forums, and hearing Seven Nation Army on the radio, I decided to get this album.

Just started listening to it and I'm on track 2 'Black Math', so far it seems pretty damn decent. Just onto the next track now and this album does indeed rock.
Tue 15/04/03 at 16:19
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Fank u

Yeah, I'll probably buy it. I nearly bought it today but there was a fire alarm and I couldn't get to the bit where HMV is

True Story

Tomorrow maybe
Tue 15/04/03 at 15:43
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
POP for the SHEEP

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.