GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Problems with Modem?!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 31/03/03 at 11:25
Regular
Recently windows has just decided to not 'detect' my modem when connecting to the internet. I have tried replacing the modem, but to no avail. I am guessing that it could be a software problem as the drivers are installed correctly, I am running 98SE upgraded from 95.

Thanks in advance.
Wed 02/04/03 at 18:07
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Tequila Sunset wrote:
> Well I replaced the motherboard, still nothing.

That was particularly silly, if you didn't have another reason for doing it. If you kicked the tower and it worked, then you have a loose connection, either between the motherboard and the modem or on the modem itself. This needs to be resolved to stop the problem re-occuring in the future. Make sure the modem is firmly pushed into the PCI slot, make sure the screw attaching it to the backplate is in and make sure there's nothing obviously loose/damaged on the modems PCB board surface.
Wed 02/04/03 at 12:43
Regular
"Unknown Legend"
I kicked the tower and it worked, seriously.
Stupid computer.
Wed 02/04/03 at 11:50
"Bothered!"
I have had so many problems with 56k Modems, its untrue but look! Ensure that the modem is in it slot properly - as i'm sure uv already done.

Then, go to the device manager (as someone mentioned earlier) and where it says "Modems" highlight it and press "refresh" at the bottom. The computer will then search for any new modems invisibly. If nothing happens, reboot the machine after removing the modem, then shut it down. Then start up the machine after replacing the modem in either COM3 or 4 and windows should detect it.

If this does not work, goto "Add New Hardware" in the Control Panel and select type of hardware as "Modem" and then either select it from the list or insert the provided driver software which came with it. Then just follow the steps on screen. If this doesn't work, email me at:

[email protected]

I will happy to help with any other queries you might have aswell. Hope that this helps.

Secret Squirrel!
Tue 01/04/03 at 19:28
"www.Freeola.info"
Take the modem out of the PC and throw it in the bin. How much time are you going to waist on a £15 modem?

Get a new one.
Tue 01/04/03 at 12:38
Regular
"Unknown Legend"
Well I replaced the motherboard, still nothing.
Tue 01/04/03 at 11:54
Regular
"bing bang bong"
It's not the connection settings, it's a problem between the modem and the computer. If possible, take the modem to another computer and try it in there - if it doesn't work, that points a pretty accusing finger at the modem. If it does work, then for some reason your computer is not detecting the modem. Try it in a different PCI slot (if it's internal), or perhaps the drivers have become corrupted. Try going to the modem manufacturers website and getting the latest drivers. If Windows has become convinced that device X is associated with driver Y, and driver Y is corrupted, then you may need to reinstall Windows to cure the problem.
Tue 01/04/03 at 11:15
Regular
"Unknown Legend"
I'm on NtlWorld and it's a dedicated line, so that's not the problem.
Also I've checked the settings, but alas no joy :(
Mon 31/03/03 at 16:17
Regular
Gah those good old 56k modems.....
Mon 31/03/03 at 16:07
Regular
"where's my tag?"
If that isn't the problem and everything is ok with the driver and wires, then it mite be your dial-up that's configured wrongly for some reason. Try checking all the settings in properties for your dial-up connection.
Mon 31/03/03 at 12:51
Regular
"where's my tag?"
*Are you on a BT line with their 1571 answer service active? If so, check to see if anyone hase left a message as that stops the modem from being detected.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.